Sore knee. Work it or rest it?

During the surgery, my doc got pics from inside my knee and showed me I'm down to very little cartilage and a TKR/partial is in my future, but keeping the surrounding muscles strong will help delay that. So far so good!

What exercises keep those muscles strong?

What exercises keep those muscles strong?
I've been fighting lingering knee & hip soreness for more than a year. I saw an Orthopedist about it but nothing showed up on the X-rays, so we agreed to treat the knee with a steroid shot and I signed up for some PT. I liked the doctor that I saw, but I did get the impression that my complaints about some soreness and somewhat limited range of motion were well below the level of pain that he was used to seeing in his patients.

Fast forward a bit and I am now focusing on exercises that promote basic full body movements. For me, I think the exercise that has provided the most benefit for my knees and hips is the deep body weight squat. Check out this YouTube video for a really good progression of squat movements that lets anyone work their way down to the ground.

I use a pair of 8.5 degree slant boards (squat blocks) to help me get down as low as possible. I've also worked up to holding a 15lb dumbbell in each hand as I squat. I don't have any plans to increase the weight I hold as the goal is to be flexible and strong enough to support my body weight while holding something like a suitcase. Good luck.

Fast forward a bit and I am now focusing on exercises that promote basic full body movements. For me, I think the exercise that has provided the most benefit for my knees and hips is the deep body weight squat. Check out this YouTube video for a really good progression of squat movements that lets anyone work their way down to the ground.

Heh, heh, no problem getting down. Getting back up has been problematic. One more reason I'm losing weight through diet. Too many back issues to do any serious exercise just yet. YMMV

Happens to me at the change of seasons. Always resolves itself. I cringe at the thought of knee replacement and never needed it. I walk every day, at least 2 miles. I also tread water in the pool at the YMCA.

Back
Top Bottom