Sore knee. Work it or rest it?

Markola

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought I’d get some crowd-sourced advice for this common problem from those who have seen the territory.

Late 50s male. Normal weight range.

For decades now I’ve been an avid walker, not a runner, getting my 10,000 steps 4-5 times per week.

About a month ago a slight pain appeared in my right knee joint, perhaps a bit more toward the inside of my leg than the outside. I thought, “Huh, that’s a new one.”

Since then, I’ve kept up my walking routine but pain is slightly stronger when I’m at rest, from a 1 to about a 4 this morning. So far, while I’m out walking it feels fine.

LOL. Maybe I’m answering my own question. DW says go to the sports medicine clinic. I want to but would prefer to wait until the new year to contribute toward next year’s deductible (boring recent insurance change/deductible reset story there).

Could I keep doing my thing as normal until January or should I go see the doc ASAP before this gets worse? Thanks for your advice.

I had a similar knee pain, don't know how it happened. I kept doing stuff, but I did take it easy and was careful of the knee.

No more jumping down from a few feet to the ground.

After about 4-5 months it disappeared.

You can wait to get it checked out as long as it doesn't get worse. You might try using a knee strap for extra support on your walks. I had meniscus surgery once and periodically use a knee strap when knee hurts.

I had similar knee issues like Sunset. I walk almost every day, added running, and after a couple weeks I woke up one morning and could barely stand. Couldn't play golf for two weeks. After a couple months still hurting and not getting better, I asked my PCP and she had my knee X-rayed - they didn't find anything unusual for a 69 yo knee.

It took at least 7-8 months to clear up completely. Until then I thought it would never go away.

Had similar experiences with a thumb and elbow injury, both took many months to clear up, both were nothing in the end.

I had a fainting episode a few weeks ago. Thought nothing of it, until I felt faint again a week later. My PCP sent me for an EKG, ECG & stress test and 14 days with a heart monitor. That turned out to be nothing serious evidently, my heart is better than average for my age (nice to know).

I've come to the conclusion it takes a lot longer to bounce back from injuries as we age. It's much harder for me to figure out when I'm hurt, and when it's just age. I tolerate aches and pains for months now unless they're increasing before bothering a doctor.

If someone here has a good way to know when it's an injury and not, I'd love to learn.

Last edited:
Listen to DW and go to the sports ortho doc. At most you'll be in for an xray and some diagnostic testing - the doc can do a twist or two and tell you half of the possible issues.

Then if you need something pricey you can wait till the new deductible. could be a meniscus, or a hamstring tear, or a bursa, almost anything. Best to find out sooner than later. For me, a cortizone shot buys me a few months for that sort of thing.

You can wait to get it checked out as long as it doesn't get worse. You might try using a knee strap for extra support on your walks. I had meniscus surgery once and periodically use a knee strap when knee hurts.

Whenever my knee starts to bother me on my runs I use a knee strap for a few weeks and that solves the problem. I think they are an underrated piece of equipment.

Since it's getting a little worse, I'd get it checked out at least, then like others here say you could put off any pricey procedures until the new year. There might be some things you should do to prevent further damage.

I'm having a similar issue with my knee, which started a few months ago when I decided to try running on a treadmill again. Not a terrible pain, but the knee was pretty swollen and I couldn't bend it all the way. Like you, it wasn't bad walking though, and I could also bike and do the elliptical in the gym. And it is getting better. The swelling is almost gone and I can almost sit on my knees again. But if it doesn't get completely better in a couple months, I'll get it checked out.

I had the same issue five or six years ago when I tried to run a little on the way home. The next morning I had sharp little pain in both knees when walking. The left knee got better in about a week, but the right knee did not improve at all. Turned out to be a small meniscus tear—an easy fix in surgery—and I haven't had any trouble with that knee since.

Old injury starting to haunt you now that your older?
My right knee haunts me every day at 50, did a # on it when I was in my early 20's snows skiing.....

I'd see the doc now, and they can advise you what strap or brace you could use to stay active, or if you need to keep off of it. Chances are you wouldn't even be able to get in for surgery until next year anyway.

There are so many different kinds of knee injuries that I wouldn't try to guess based on what you've said. However, since it's more on the inside I'd rule out an IT Band problem. Those are often fixed by wearing a knee strap. There may be other injuries that can be fixed with a strap, or it may be just advice from people who fixed their own knee injury which has nothing to do with yours.

If you're really intent on holding off on seeing a doctor now I suggest going to https://www.donjoystore.com/injury-info-center/knee-injury-guide to determine what type of injury you have and what brace to use based on your symptoms.

Old injury starting to haunt you now that your older?
My right knee haunts me every day at 50, did a # on it when I was in my early 20's snows skiing.....

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Slater, Your comment made me remember that, yes!, I banged that knee on an icy slope skiing in my late teens. The patella was torn a bit on the inside. Could well be it! I’ve been doing yoga again for about 9 months and maybe I got too fancy and hurt it again?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Slater, Your comment made me remember that, yes!, I banged that knee on an icy slope skiing in my late teens. The patella was torn a bit on the inside. Could well be it! I’ve been doing yoga again for about 9 months and maybe I got too fancy and hurt it again?

Wouldn’t hurt to get an x-ray and an MRI to see where you stand in regards to degenerative changes. But like I stated, I also had a ski injury in my early 20s that didn’t require any serious medical attention but I really did a number on it and was struggling with it for weeks. Now it haunts me every day… I’m only 50.

Like many others, I have had a similar issue with one of my knees. I started running in my 50s and regularly (5 days a week) ran 3.4 to 5 miles both outdoors and on a treadmill. About 2 years ago I started getting a pain in the inside of my knee and although I could finish my run, it would leave me hurting for days afterward. I gave myself a 3 month rest and tried again with similar results. Six more months and still experiencing pain after a run.

Finally had an Xray but nothing was found other than some arthritis. I was 68 at the time. It is now 2 years later and I have been slowly building my run up again for the past two months with no further pain. I did spend a day staining the deck last week with constant standing and kneeling which has made me feel my age and has both knees angry at me.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

I had a similar nagging Knee pain when I hit mid-50s and continued for 3-4 years. Then, I lost 20 lbs of weigh and it is gone.
I suppose I was too heavy for my knee to support me. I can say losing 20 lbs. help my knee a lot ! I'm back to normal.

Im surprised no one has recommended a Cortisone injection. I get one in my right knee and right shoulder every 2 or 3 years. Really helps!

If the pain is notable at rest, the doctors I have seen have advised me to RICE the knee (Rest, Ice Compression, Elevation). They have also said that too much resting can actually slow down healing, so keep somewhat active.

If RICE that doe not improve things, then further checkout is needed.

I walk a round of golf several times a week. A few times over the last 5-6 years I have had to do the RICE method, and it has cleared it up. It has also been related to (a) sitting in a car for 30 minutes after playing a round, and (b) the golf shoes I walked in. Addressing (a) and (b) have made a difference.

DH developed pain in one knee. Switched from walking to swimming, swears that a glass tart cherry juice every day makes a difference. After a couple weeks, no more pain. Knees are tricky. Could be any number of things. As a DW, can’t go wrong listening to your DW. She knows you better than anybody.

Sounds familiar and I just keep on doing what I do, and things take of themselves. Any way with most aches and pains I have I just keep on and they go away.

^^^^ OP here. Yes, Street, I’m 57 and have always been blessed with relatively very good health. However, this year has been one of, “Oh, what now?”

I appreciate all the insights and will get some medical attention.

However, one thing I noticed yesterday that made a difference is almost absurdly simple. For a couple of months I’ve been optimizing my walk route through the city to avoid the most busy intersections to cross. I realized that this route has me mostly walking on the sidewalk on right side of the street. It has a slight grade of right down to left. Yesterday, when I started feeling my knee, I switched the rest of the route to the left side of the street with the opposite grade. Knee feels good today!

I recalled my dad took up running on the beach years ago and messed up his knees because of the same grade for miles at a time.

Too early for anything except rest ice elevation and anti inflammatories in my view.

Op- my advice is to see a doc now. I’ve had running related knee issues several times. Knee sprains. Although pain location and intensity varies from time to time. Docs always gave good advice - rest until pain goes away. And resume activity slowly when pain subsides.

Another reason to see a doc sooner than later: A couple of years ago DH had a pain in his calf that he believed resulted from landing funny on one foot going down a step. Nothing major, but 2 weeks later still hurt. Doc told him to rest and take OTC pain meds.

Fast forward 6 weeks later he had a fever and trouble breathing, and wound up in the ER with a pulmonary embolism. Turned out the minor nagging pain in his leg had been from blood clots that formed at the location of the injury, and it was basically a ticking time bomb until it reached his lungs.

New, pain, and you are noticing it getting worse, especially at night when resting, time to see the Dr.
Generally, for sports type injuries, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevate) works. But if not improving or getting worse, have it checked out.

I've been a runner for almost 30 years. I learned, early on, that knee pain is NOT one you should run through, but rest for a while. I presume the same goes for exercise-walking. I vote you use RICE until you see a doctor.

Back
Top Bottom