Shingles

Rich what is the thought on the need for a tetanus booster? Reason I ask is last time in Australia I asked about getting my 10 year booster they said not to bother. I know my last tetanus shot was in 1998.

Re the chicken pox, my mother swears I never had them, even though my 3 siblings did. When I was going to have the vaccine 10 yrs ago they tested first to see if I had previously had the chicken pox and the test said I had. Must say the stories of the effects of Shingles makes me want to have the vaccine now even though I am only 48.
AFAIK, tetanus is still every 10 years thru age 70. If nothing else you avoid having to go to the emergency room for otherwise routine puncture wounds since they only occur on weekends, holidays, and in remote places.

I have seen just one case of tetanus in my 35+ year career. It was hideous.

At the conclusion of the studies, researchers found that overall (in persons age 60 years and older) the vaccine reduced the occurrence of herpes zoster (shingles) by about 50%. The vaccine effect was highest at 64% in people between the ages 60-69, but its effectiveness declined with increasing age; to 41% for the 70-79 age group, and 18% for those 80 years of age and older.
Thanks, Rich, that's an interesting study. I was under the impression that the vaccine was a magic bullet but these statistics wouldn't exactly have me pounding on the door of our local clinic.

Rich what is the thought on the need for a tetanus booster? Reason I ask is last time in Australia I asked about getting my 10 year booster they said not to bother. I know my last tetanus shot was in 1998.
Geez, I don't think I've ever gone longer than three years without hearing "Well, we won't have to stitch that up, but better get a tetanus booster just in case"...

Last edited:
Thanks, Rich, that's an interesting study. I was under the impression that the vaccine was a magic bullet but these statistics wouldn't exactly have me pounding on the door of our local clinic...
True, but those numbers are pretty good in the world of general screening and prevention - especially when the risk is lowo.

It is likely but not proven that in people who get shingles despite getting the shot, the symptoms may be briefer and milder.

This should answer most of the questions above.

Getting it before age 60 is not advised due to lack of data on safety and efficacy. Shingles is more common over age 60, and when it does occur, post-herpetic neuralgia is most common in those over age 60. So, it is not a mortal sin to get the shot earlier but it is not standard practice.

While you're at it, with all this vaccine frenzy, why not get yourself updated on tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (combined in 1 shot). The latter is particularly common we have learned, causing prolonged intense cough and occasionally worse (adult whooping cough).

I have been getting TD booster every 10 years. Asked for Pertussis booster last time and was told there was none. Next booster 2013 will be TD & P (whatever the nomenclature)

And while we're at it:
Any medical opinions on Hep A & B for a 60 y o?

And while we're at it:
Any medical opinions on Hep A & B for a 60 y o?

Hep A is for travel to high risk settings and other special considerations.

Pneumonia is still recommended for older adults but its overall efficacy is controversial.

Influenza is annual for just about all adults, but certainly those who are older, other risks, etc.

Hep B is for adults with body fluid exposures or other risks, but may beroutine in kids. Paging Meadbh?

I had shingles in May. I got the doctor within 24 hours of the rash appearing. The drugs stopped it short, but still it was in my jaw and chewing was very painful. it could have been much worse. I also had on my temple, but the doctor apparently wasn't concerned about my optic nerves. I talked with folks that had it much worse. Thankfully I did not. Hope your case is mild.

Hep A is for travel to high risk settings and other special considerations.

Pneumonia is still recommended for older adults but its overall efficacy is controversial.

Influenza is annual for just about all adults, but certainly those who are older, other risks, etc.

Hep B is for adults with body fluid exposures or other risks, but may be routine in kids. Paging Meadbh?

I do get flu shots every year (2 this past season).

Pneumonia shot is age 65? Will probably get.

Had shingles and believe it was stress related. Hope it's not this market doing it to you. ;-D Get well.

AFAIK, tetanus is still every 10 years thru age 70. If nothing else you avoid having to go to the emergency room for otherwise routine puncture wounds since they only occur on weekends, holidays, and in remote places.

I have seen just one case of tetanus in my 35+ year career. It was hideous.

I too was under the impression that it was 10 yrs. However I recently had the good fortune of being pinched by a crab at the beach. When I got home
hours later, the doctor wanted me to come in that day for a booster even though it had been < 10 yrs since the last one (7 yrs). I've since found at least several articles on the internet suggesting the same. This quote is from ehow.com:

The Mayo Clinic recommends that you obtain a booster if you have a deep wound and haven't had the shot in the past five years or if you're not sure if you've been vaccinated against tetanus.

Read more: How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com

I too was under the impression that it was 10 yrs. However I recently had the good fortune of being pinched by a crab at the beach. When I got home
hours later, the doctor wanted me to come in that day for a booster even though it had been < 10 yrs since the last one (7 yrs). I've since found at least several articles on the internet suggesting the same. This quote is from ehow.com:

The Mayo Clinic recommends that you obtain a booster if you have a deep wound and haven't had the shot in the past five years or if you're not sure if you've been vaccinated against tetanus.

Read more: How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com
Right. We were referring to prevention for the 10 year interval bit you are quite for wound prophylaxis.

Right. We were referring to prevention for the 10 year interval bit you are quite for wound prophylaxis.

When the cat bite gave me 'blood poisoning' they gave me a tetanus shot along with an antibiotic IV.

I am sensitive to Acyclovir and had the bad luck to have Shingles on Christmas Eve. There is an alternate anti-viral but I just about had to pound on a pharmacy door to fill the perscription.

Husband was in the shingles vaccine study, he got the placebo. We learned that when he got shingles (any sign of any thing that might be shingles required that he present his body ASAP). They treated him and gave him the vaccine after the illness had run it's course. As soon as it was available to the public I got it too.

Michael, I really hope your case has no long term consequences.

Interesting. About a month ago I had two what looked like bug/mosquito/spider bites next to each other on my rib cage. They were extremely itchy and eventually formed what looked like a white head. I dabbed them with hydrogen peroxide and covered them with bandages. They eventually went away but two small scars remain. Now I'm rethinking the "bug bites." Maybe shingles?

One thing I could count on from the submarine force was regular checks for tuberculosis and vaccinations for Hep A/B, typhoid, & tetanus. ("Oh, you're going back to sea duty?!? Well, never mind what I just said, here's some things you need to take care of.") But I wish the corpsmen could've done more about rotavirus & pneumonia.

Interesting. About a month ago I had two what looked like bug/mosquito/spider bites next to each other on my rib cage. They were extremely itchy and eventually formed what looked like a white head. I dabbed them with hydrogen peroxide and covered them with bandages. They eventually went away but two small scars remain. Now I'm rethinking the "bug bites." Maybe shingles?
We're going to have to refer you to the bedbug thread...

When the cat bite gave me 'blood poisoning' they gave me a tetanus shot along with an antibiotic IV.

Why did you bite the cat? :p

Thread is a good reminder to get a t-shot and a TDP booster. And a flu shot. And a shigles vaccination.

Glad I own some drug company stocks!

Are there any side effects to the shingles vaccination? When I was in my twenties, I took a german measles vaccination (as one of my colleagues had german measles) and was told 1 out of 10 people will get a mild form of german measles and guess what, I was that one person who had it. That was how low my resistence level was.

Swam with an older man in his 90's whose back was all scar tissue from having shingles. Take care of it pronto like you are doing, MichaelB. Don't want anything to happen to you now..:flowers:

Was in the docs office yesterday and mentioned the shingles vaccine...

He said... get the vaccine if you want.. there is no reason to wait until 50 as people younger than 50 get shingles...

My sister got them when she was 55... also in her eye... she said she would pay the money for the vaccine... was not out when she got it...

SOOO, I got a prescription if I want to get to some place that has it....

I long ago sent mail to all my older friends (55+) about this. My mom had shingles (mild) about age 56, she is now 64.

At my urging, she asked on one of her regular doctor's appointment last year about the vaccine and the doc gave it to her right there(!), and it was fully covered by her Kaiser insurance. But she was the one who had to bring the subject up.

Michael, hope you get better soon!

Just to day I saw a sign outside a drug store that read "Shingle vaccine shots here". Now I see plenty of flu shot ads, but that is the first time I have ever seen one of those. Didn't get one, going to wait until I'm 60.

I used to know someone who used to get shingles off and on over the years... is that normal? He wasn't immune depressed or anything like that...

Back
Top Bottom