Laser "tune-up" years after cataract surgery

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
Laser "tune-up" years after cataract surgery ("YAG laser capsulotomy",thanks erKevin)

I had very successful cataract surgery done back in 2015. Afterwards all I have needed (or used) was readers for up close. Driving and other distance vision tasks required no glasses at all.

Until.....

I tried to renew my driver's license recently, and much to my shock and surprise they said my vision wasn't good enough and they wouldn't do the renewal until I brought back a signed document from my ophthalmologist saying that the problem was fixed. :banghead:

When I tried to make an appointment with my ophthalmologist to get all this taken care of, I was told he had no appointments open for six months - - BUT - - they said he has a younger ophthalmologist who assists him so I could make an appointment with her. Then I was told about a laser procedure which is apparently routine, that is often done after cataract surgery to clear up this type of problem.

So, I am seeing this other doctor tomorrow and she may be doing the laser procedure on me. If offered, I plan to say "YES".

Anybody had this procedure and willing to tell me what they think of it? From what I hear, it is pretty easy, done in the office, and has good results. Naturally I am freaked out but what freaks me out worse is the possibility of never getting my vision back.

I'll probably do it (if offered) no matter what you say, but just kinda wanted to know if you all are glad you had it done, or not, or what... Frank is going with me, to drive since legally I'm not even allowed to drive at all any more.

My eyes got cataracts years apart. After surgery for the 1st eye I did the procedure you're writing about. The procedure was mostly just one of those "don't blink or move" kind of things while you look into a machine. The dr is on the other side of the machine looking in and uses a laser in the machine to zap what he explained to me were little puffs, sort of shaped like popcorn. It didn't hurt. I did have one humorous side effect. Later that day, I thought I smelled a whiff of something burning, and living alone that merits investigation. After not finding the cause of the smell around the house I figured out that it was me, from the procedure. Just a faint smoke smell like from cooking.
How much better you see would be directly related to how many obstructive puffs he zaps.
This is a no brainer procedure. Easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Also called the "green laser" procedure. Takes about five minutes and very common. I haven't needed it yet, but I expect to someday. Cataracts were done in 2013.

YAG laser capsulotomy? Very common/routine.

+1

A couple of years ago I took a friend to have it done. Very easy, painless and fixed him up a treat.

I've had the YAG surgery. Very common. Very quick. Painless. Not a big deal.

Thanks, everyone! All these reports are helping.

I've had the YAG surgery. Very common. Very quick. Painless. Not a big deal.

Great! I just hope that after the YAG, I'll be able to see well enough to drive again. Driving is almost a necessity these days.

This is one reason I decided years ago not to get laser surgery. Realizing it is not permanent and would require a re-do.
Guess it's not such a big deal, these days.

You might have misunderstood. It's irrelevant whether you had your cataract surgery with a laser or with a scalpel. The issue is that afterward, the back side of the capsule (that contained your natural lens) can gradually become cloudy and this cloudiness can be eliminated with a simple zap of the YAG laser.

Simple quick procedure, 1 eye then week later the other eye if needed. You might notice some small black dots after for a few days and floaters after.

When I had my cataract surgery I was made aware that I could need this at sometime in the future. They said it sometimes shows up very quickly (although not usually) but other times it can take years.

I had the YAG touchup done several months after my initial cataract surgery. They just numb your eyes and then a couple of minutes in the chin rest while they zap the circumference of your eye in a few spots. Totally painless and it did sharpen my vision.

You might have misunderstood. It's irrelevant whether you had your cataract surgery with a laser or with a scalpel. The issue is that afterward, the back side of the capsule (that contained your natural lens) can gradually become cloudy and this cloudiness can be eliminated with a simple zap of the YAG laser.

That helps me make sense of the situation! I was thinking, 'Why not just get a pair of glasses" in the short term to get your license and then worry about getting an appointment. As it's seems it's a clouding, glasses won't correct that.

My husband had his cataract procedure in 2018 and just had your same prospective laser procedure about 2 months ago. Easy peasy!

I had the procedure done on both of my eyes, the first about 7 years after cataract surgery and the second one about a year after cataract surgery. My cataracts didn't progress at the same rate, and I had the cataract surgery done about 8 years apart. The way my doctor explained the reason for it to me was that scar tissue will often build up on the back portion of the lens capsule, and the laser essentially vaporizes the back of the capsule and removes the cloudiness. It was a very simple procedure, took way longer to do all the paperwork than the procedure, which took about 5 and minutes or less.

Good! Thanks, everybody, for your input. My appointment with the ophthalmologist is at 1 PM Central time, in about two and a half hours, and I am now feeling much more courageous about this. After reading the posts here, I am definitely hoping that this YAG surgery is offered, and hopefully today.

Hmmm...does prior LASIK surgery complicate treatment?

Had mine ~20 years ago to get rid of my -8 (both eyes) "coke bottle" glasses.

Good news! Just got back from the ophthalmologist. No YAG, no diabetic damage.... she says all I need is GLASSES!!! :dance: That's fine. I wore them for years, until ditching them after my 2015 cataract surgery.

Frank is making an appointment for me with my optometrist so I can get glasses.

:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D

Isn't it funny how we always anticipate a worse situation than we actually have?

Glad it worked out well, now make sure you get some nice eyeglass frames you really like.

Good news! Just got back from the ophthalmologist. No YAG, no diabetic damage.... she says all I need is GLASSES!!! :dance: That's fine. I wore them for years, until ditching them after my 2015 cataract surgery.

Frank is making an appointment for me with my optometrist so I can get glasses.

:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D

Perhaps your astigmatism changed a bit and can easily be corrected with glasses.
I needed them after my cataract surgery, but lately feel I'm seeing clearer without them. What the heck does that mean:facepalm:?

Hmmm...does prior LASIK surgery complicate treatment?

Had mine ~20 years ago to get rid of my -8 (both eyes) "coke bottle" glasses.

Having had LASIK does complicate cataract surgery as it is harder to decide what power you need. Also LASIK tends to lessen contrast so most surgeons won't do a true multifocal lens which also lessen contrast. On the other hand, I was able to have an extended focus lens (Vivity lens) which lets me see well from distance to intermediate distance with no glasses. My left had a light adjustable lens because I had had a macular pucker so I was further limited. The result was that I do need reading glasses some of the time. All of which is fine. But, if I had not had LASIK and had not had the macular pucker I probably would have gotten an multifocal lens.

Back
Top Bottom