Simple Test Predicts Longevity

I ran across that yesterday as well - I'm in pretty darn good shape and I've never in my entire life been able to get up off the floor from a seated position without using one hand! I tried yesterday after reading the article, sat down with legs folded, not folded, drawn up at the knees, etc. and there was no way I could figure out how to stand up without using a hand to push off against the floor.

I read that and tried it yesterday. My knee still hurts from trying to get down to the ground without using my hands. I pushed off my hands to get back up and everything in my knees cracked. I'm only 33 and underweight. I can't imagine older or heavier people doing this without using both their hands and their knees.

Update: Tried it. Sat down on the floor OK but needed a little support to get back up. No wobbles or difficulty. So guess I get about a 9. Might be around a little longer to hassle DH ;)

I find it odd a test that relies primarily on lower-body strength can be a statistically significant measure of overall health. I suspect someone in poor health with strong legs can pass with flying colors.

I tried. I am having trouble seeing how one goes from sitting on the floor - legs straight and bent at the waist - to standing without bracing on at least one knee.

I can put my heads on my head and get up and down via my knees but there's no way I can sit down and get up without the use of my hands or knees, and I felt like Sticky the stick insect stuck on a sticky bun. In other words, not very elegant.

Sounds like a pretty weird test. I regularly work out, walk all over the place, and regularly ride 30-40 mile bike rides. But I would have had problems with the sitting test 20 years ago. If I sit down cross legged I can barely make it up unassisted but it ain't pretty. If I sit on my butt with legs out there is no way I am getting up without using my hands.

Apparently it helps to be under age 20...

(Note: turn your speaker volume down before clicking.)
How to stand up using "no hands" from the floor - YouTube
I just did it. Same as that young gal. Told my wife about the test. She did the same.

Soooo.... If we are going to live to 100, well, that's a lot longer than I have thought, is my planned WR of 3.5% low enough?

I'd better run FIRECalc again to 45 years instead of 30. And I thought 30 years was optimistic for me. Hah!

PS. BMI of 25 for me, and about 22 for my wife. Heh heh heh...

PPS. OK, I did it again. Compared to the girl in the video, we both wobbled a bit, but heck, at 56 I don't think our performance was bad.

Last edited:
Nope, apparently someone nailed my butt to the floor 'cause it ain't happening. Better start measuring that pine box (LBYM and all that...)

No, no, no...:nonono:

Once a guy croaks, LBYM no longer applies.

What does L stand for? :hide:

I can't stand up like the girl in the video, once I get down that low my butt doesn't touch the ground unless I rock my weight back which causes me to fall back. Getting up that way is impossible for me. I don't think its a function of flexability, I can bend over and touch my toes... and then keeping my legs straight, keep going and put my palms flat on the ground. (very flexible). I suspect it is a function of different length leg/body parts that make it so some people can do that and others can't.. but what do I know. :)

The way I learned to stand up while sitting and holding something in both your hands is to cross your legs and then stand up. (Initially you will be standing on the outsides of your ankles, so if you have weak ankles be careful). As you come up you roll your feet flat as part of the process. easy peasy.

I have no problems doing that (up or down). Very stable no wobbles at all. Probably a video somewhere of how to do it, but I'm not in the mood to search. Give that a try and see how it goes. (edit: The video above is exactly what I'm talking about.)

Laters,
-d.

Last edited:
Interesting test. I'm able to sit and stand from the floor (as in the video in post #16) quite easily.

Last edited:
Amazingly I can do this easily. I wonder if living in a house with lots of stairs makes a difference considering I am not very active gymwise.

The video seems to say that one can learn how to do this, so I don't get that it could predict longevity (unless it would help prevent falls or not being able to rise from one to get help for a fall-related injury?).

My cats do this easily. Even the really old one.

My wife did it quite easily but I needed one hand to get up.

Sayonara cruel world!

I was able to do it 1 time after watching my 24 DD and 25 D-SIL do it. I came back upstairs and I am having trouble getting back up without using anything. Also, had my DH try it. It was not pretty. I certainly hope that I am not widowed within the next 6 1/2 yrs.

The video seems to say that one can learn how to do this, so I don't get that it could predict longevity (unless it would help prevent falls or not being able to rise from one to get help for a fall-related injury?).

I don't think the relationship of mortality and this test is a direct one. That is, the test is basically measuring things like strength and balance and I suspect that people of similar age who are stronger and have better balance probably have better longevity than those who lack such strength and balance. That is, some of the things that cause lack of strength and balance (being sedentary, existing illness, etc.) are also things that cause increased risk of mortality.

My heavens. Did it.

Down is easy. Watched video for up. Used sides of feet to push off in a semi circle spinning me around and ending counched up over ankles. Then straight up from there. Wasn't elegant and wobbled getting to ankle position. So 9.5?

Exhausted. Back to couch.

Back
Top Bottom