So what does Exercise mean to you?

I knew an elderly lady who walked 5 miles a day. Her family had a heck of a time finding her...
Yeah that happens.

My 95 year old DF checked out of assisted living to go see someone, perhaps an attorney to change his will. My sister gets a phone call from someone who knows him and he's not looking to well crossing a busy 4 lane road.....

Of course the home did say he's always at the morning exercise event.

I have run since the mid 80's, then averaging 40-60 miles per week and now down to 20-30. A qoute that I believe was attributed to Dr George Sheenan that I have used as motivation was "The goal in life is to die young---as old as possible". If I remember right he did die of prostate cancer in his late 70's but continued to run until he was unable.

Exercise

Exercise definitely has various meanings depending upon the individual. To me, it is about balance: eating healthy, fueling your body to endure the type of exercise you will engage, consistency in both. I think cardio 3 to 4 times per week for 30 minutes each time at a moderate pace is perfect, coupled with resistance training to keep you muscles strong and engaged. (exercise is great for memory)

Sometimes exercise has financial rewards too. My niece came out this summer, she was in a trail race in Colorado Springs and came out for a day.

She told me she was aiming for second place in trail racing competition a magazine puts on. She didn't want the top prize, your picture on the cover of the magazine. Second place was a paid trip to the Swiss Alps. I just saw she's going to Switzerland! Girl's never been outside the country and really hasn't had a easy life through no fault of her own.

Exercise to me is movement, any kind of movement.
-Walking, swimming, cleaning, gardening, upstairs, downstairs
-If you're sitting and watching tv, move your legs around, dance in front of the tv
-There are treadmill desks in many companies, even desks just to stand at, instead of sitting for 8 hours.
-Sitting is the next smoking
-There is nothing more healthy than simple movement, anywhere, anytime

Gym every other day (75 min) & walk every day (50 min). Also lots of mental exercise (software engineering, bookkeeping) and mental stimulation (books, movies). Low stress.

Still playing moderately competitive sports keeps me fairly active. Baseball, tennis, pickleball, hiking, and mountain biking. But I have a harder time pushing myself to just exercise. Wintertime is off-season, and that's when I need to get a base of cardio and strength down - once seasons start, I have to spend some time on skill maintenance.

But now at 61 I'm finding the need to spend a lot more effort on flexibility than on strength. I see a lot of loss of flexibility and balance in older athletes. But I sure hate flexibility work.

But now at 61 I'm finding the need to spend a lot more effort on flexibility than on strength. I see a lot of loss of flexibility and balance in older athletes. But I sure hate flexibility work.

I'm still a young 55 and my flexibility is still fine, but I definitely take plenty of time to warm up fully. The days of a couple quick warm up sets and then right to heavy bench presses are long behind me... :LOL:

I go dancing M,W,Th,F,Sunday and ocassionally tues, Usually 1-3 hours.
45-60 minutes aerobics in class and 15 minutes upper body machines M, W and occasionally F.
Occasionally lower extremity machines tues, and one or two Zumba classes on tues.

My only problem is if I miss a snack or put on muscle I get ravenous. So during the muscle gain times I tend to put on some extra pounds. People think I am in better shape than I am or I could be in, just because so many people are so out of shape.

OP, Everyone needs exercise. Walking 3 miles and ranch work (toss bales of hay/straw, lifting bags of grain, fixing fences, mucking out stalls, riding a tractor, planting crops, moving herds, what kind of ranch work?) occasionally isn't enough. You need to keep your entire body in shape. You don't have to go to a gym to work out but if there's one near you it can be a big help. You can use a trainer or look up exercise routines online. If you aren't doing physical work as much in the Winter what's going to keep you in shape. Exercise year round!

I’m only 40, still competing as a triathlete and runner. Half Ironman this year, hoping for Kona next year. If I can get to Kona, that’s a bucket list... then exercise might become walking 18 and continuing the body weight strength work I do now as a supplement to way too much (fun for me!) cardio.

I think people need light/moderate cardio such as walking daily along with strength work including core as the key component. That doesn’t mean a gym. Get a kettlebell and a mat for your floor and you can do more than enough at home between squats, lunges/pistol squats, pushups, maybe pull-ups, various planks. The first thing that limits your mobility is loss of strength and flexibility, so work on those!

Last edited:
I exercise almost every day. Almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday...

Sometimes, I feel that I should take up a regular exercise program. However, after sitting down with a scotch and cigar, I come to my senses and the feeling dissipates.

I don't belong to a club that has machines and all the fitness stations for my work outs.

My exercise routine would consist of walking about 3 miles a day and working at my ranch doing some physical work but really nothing more. In your opinion would you consider this enough exercise each day?

This is close to what I do, probably a bit more most days. From what I have read it does provide noticeable benefit to ones health.

I exercise to live longer.

+1. It helps you physically and mentally.

OP, Everyone needs exercise. Walking 3 miles and ranch work (toss bales of hay/straw, lifting bags of grain, fixing fences, mucking out stalls, riding a tractor, planting crops, moving herds, what kind of ranch work?) occasionally isn't enough. You need to keep your entire body in shape. You don't have to go to a gym to work out but if there's one near you it can be a big help. You can use a trainer or look up exercise routines online. If you aren't doing physical work as much in the Winter what's going to keep you in shape. Exercise year round!

You have said what I needed to hear but didn't wan to hear. LOL I stay very active but as far as keeping my body in total shape I know that doesn't happen.

Sounds like that ranch work is a great all around activity. Way to go!

I do include some gardening in my routine and even some occasional pick work. The gym has helped with avoiding my back going out on me during gardening.

Just an interesting observation I pay attention to is how some of the oldest people I know and have passed on in resent years have never exercised a day in their life. They did daily activities and physical work but nothing on a regular bases or done any fitness program. These woman and men live to be late 80's to all ranges in the 90's. I know many that are living yet in their 90's never even walked for exercise. LOL I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Just an interesting observation I pay attention to is how some of the oldest people I know and have passed on in resent years have never exercised a day in their life. They did daily activities and physical work but nothing on a regular bases or done any fitness program. These woman and men live to be late 80's to all ranges in the 90's. I know many that are living yet in their 90's never even walked for exercise. LOL I'm just saying.

Sure there are some smokers that live to 100. Anecdotal evidence isn’t very persuasive. There have been numerous studies that have confirmed the value of exercise to reduce health issues.

That is true but what we don't know is how many of the ones who died early, or suffered debilitating injuries or illnesses, would have been helped by keeping themselves in better physical condition. Just because some who live to their 90's and didn't exercise is like saying smoking is harmless because someone who smoked a pack a day for 75 years lived to 93.

I had a conversation with an older (than me) lady at the gym who was out for a month after an injury and her physical therapist told her that her recovery time was significantly reduced because she was in far better shape than most of the older people she deals with.

I generally workout everyday. Racquetball is my main sport/hobby. I play that 3x a week, more if I have a tournament. I do Boot Camp class 2x a week, and cardio for an hour on the other days.

In the warmer weather, I bike ride a few times a week; on Sundays I'll bike 30 miles. I'm 48 and am in better shape in my 40s than I was in my 20s and 30s.

And who knows...maybe they could have lived even longer had they followed a solid workout program.

Also worth noting is that weight bearing exercises strengthen bones as well as muscles and ligaments. An older person with decent muscle mass is less likely to fall as in some instances they have enough strength to catch themselves (not every time, of course).

In addition, those who do fall are less likely to get injured as the muscle will absorb some of the impact. The bones are less likely to break because they're not only protected by the muscle, but are also stronger.

Yes Dear.(We) signed up for the gym today - Senior couple over 65. After a four year absence of not exercising on a regular basis.

Marriage and four years 'in da city' have taken their toll via waistline creep - up as much as 4 inches and weight management (not).

Had 12 over last night for BBQ brisket, wings, beans, bread, coleslaw, etc. a little pre holiday warm up.

Short fasting and stretches of dieting don't cut it.

heh heh heh - so even in our 70's we need to get back with the basics aka exercise. :dance: :facepalm::cool:

Oh Yeah- and that gosh awful portion control. Tough when watching football.

Last edited:

Another consideration - it's not only how long you live but what the quality of those years is. I would submit that someone who doesn't smoke, gets moderate exercise and keeps weight in check enjoys those years more than an overweight, sedentary smoker.

Back
Top Bottom