So what does Exercise mean to you?

Another consideration - it's not only how long you live but what the quality of those years is. I would submit that someone who doesn't smoke, gets moderate exercise and keeps weight in check enjoys those years more than an overweight, sedentary smoker.

Yes I believe that to be true and only makes sense. The better we take care of our body the better quality we should have in aging.

I have a friend that smokes he is in his late 50's now and it will be interesting to see how old age agrees with him. He doesn't smoke a lot but smokes those small cigars.

For me....walk outside with DH 2 miles per day minimum. I track my steps and try to go for 10,000. When it is nice enough, bike outside 2-3 times per week. Yoga 3 times a week, one fairly strenuous, the others are good basic stretchy yoga. I need to get back to swimming once a week for an hour after the holidays. And I work out with a trainer 2 x per month. This routine has kept me fit and able to do most stuff that I want to do.

Many years ago I saw an interview with a genetic scientist (if that's the right term) on TV. He said that your lifespan is "pre-determined" before you are even born...the genetic factors that determine if you will live long or contract a disease are already in place.

So, if an individual's life expectancy is 75, for example, then a life of very healthy living and exercise might extend it by a few years...to 78 or 80, and a less than healthy lifestyle may only shorten it by a few years to 70 or 72 or so...barring any serious abuse such as obesity or excessive drug/alcohol abuse that can greatly shorten anyone's life.

He said that no one can extend it any further than a few years at best. So, the person who never exercised and enjoyed the occasional cigar that lives to 95 was pre-disposed to live that long from the start. But, some people can do everything right and never make it past 70.

If he was right, then exercise is mostly for quality of life...and that's how I look at it. Going through life weak and tired because you are out of shape is a poor way to live. I exercise to keep a layer of muscle that might help prevent a more serious injury in the even of an accident or a fall, and because being strong is better than being week. I also want to make whatever time is left on my clock as high quality as possible.

I walk at least 2 miles 6-7 times a week. Free weights 2-3 times a week. Fill in with considerable yard work and chores a few times a week. I've been able to lose 35 lbs since ER in April of 2016. However I must admit that diet played a much larger role than exercise. Long gone are the days of a 100 mile bike ride followed by a large sub and XL Triple Thick milkshake.

Many years ago I saw an interview with a genetic scientist (if that's the right term) on TV. He said that your lifespan is "pre-determined" before you are even born...the genetic factors that determine if you will live long or contract a disease are already in place.

So, if an individual's life expectancy is 75, for example, then a life of very healthy living and exercise might extend it by a few years...to 78 or 80, and a less than healthy lifestyle may only shorten it by a few years to 70 or 72 or so...barring any serious abuse such as obesity or excessive drug/alcohol abuse that can greatly shorten anyone's life.

He said that no one can extend it any further than a few years at best. So, the person who never exercised and enjoyed the occasional cigar that lives to 95 was pre-disposed to live that long from the start. But, some people can do everything right and never make it past 70.

If he was right, then exercise is mostly for quality of life...and that's how I look at it. Going through life weak and tired because you are out of shape is a poor way to live. I exercise to keep a layer of muscle that might help prevent a more serious injury in the even of an accident or a fall, and because being strong is better than being week. I also want to make whatever time is left on my clock as high quality as possible.

All of which explains why runner Jim Fixx died so young and Keith Richards lives on...

All of which explains why runner Jim Fixx died so young and Keith Richards lives on...

Not quite:

Dr. Gabe Mirkin on Health, Fitness and Nutrition. | Jim Fixx, Running Guru

Fixx started running in 1967 at age 35. At that time, he weighed 240 pounds and smoked two packs of cigarettes per day. Ten years later, at the time The Complete Book of Running was published, he had taken off more than 70 pounds and had given up smoking. He was famous because he used himself as an example of how healthy a person can be after changing to a healthful lifestyle.

Jim Fixx's autopsy showed that what was inside his body was much different from what appeared on the outside. The three main arteries leading to his heart were almost completely blocked with plaques and the autopsy showed that he had had at least three heart attacks weeks before the one that killed him. His other arteries were filled with plaques also.

I'm very fit because of my job so what may be exercise to some is at most modest exercise to me. So my definition of exercise is any activity that makes me sweat - and it takes A LOT to get my heart rate rate up.

I'm very fit because of my job so what may be exercise to some is at most modest exercise to me. So my definition of exercise is any activity that makes me sweat - and it takes A LOT to get my heart rate rate up.

I agree. If one is in good shape, exercise will tend to be more strenuous. I have to work quite hard to get my heart rate up to 90% of assumed maximum(about 150 BPM) usually around 225 Watts (about 9mets). I sweat about 2 lbs of water during a 40 minute workout. Been doing this for more than 37 years. My VO2 is 56l/kg. I think that is quite high for a 67 year old.

Last edited:
Fixx started running in 1967 at age 35. At that time, he weighed 240 pounds and smoked two packs of cigarettes per day. Ten years later, at the time The Complete Book of Running was published, he had taken off more than 70 pounds and had given up smoking.

I was a teenager when Fixx's book kicked off a running craze, and remember it well. Even my mother gave running a try, even though there are some women who nature never intended to adopt this particular hobby - parts of their body are still headed upward while the rest is coming down. This looks uncomfortable, to put it mildly. She quickly gave it up. :nonono:

I ran for around 10 years in my 20's / early 30's. I enjoyed it, but gave it up due to stress on my joints. I much prefer the elliptical machine. :)

Back
Top Bottom