Switching Medigap Plans

In Nevada you can switch plans anytime for medigap. It’s MA plans that have a certain time.

My wife and I were on Plan G. She was going to need an electric wheelchair and I was needing a new insulin pump. 20% deductible on Plan B was going to be a bunch of $. I was surprised that I could change to Plan F anytime in the year without having to go through underwriting--to avoid the deductibles on durable goods.

My wife had 4 discectomies 7/12 & 7/14. When she got out of rehab, she was home 5 hrs. when she slipped and broke her leg. After almost a month in 3 hospitals and 3 long visits in rehab hospitals, she finally took her first steps 2 days ago. There's simply no telling what the hospital bills will add up to--and we've not received the first bill.

Now the physical therapy starts, and its still going to be a long winter of recuperation.

When someone has qualified to get Plan G or Plan F, you never go down in benefits. We just suck it up and pay the higher premium because we're far, far ahead of where we were in our earlier retirement years.

So plan G has a deductible on durable goods?

So plan G has a deductible on durable goods?

Not to my understanding. I cannot find anything to support that. From my understanding and experience, if Medicare covers it, then Medigap covers it under the terms of the Medicare supplement plans. Plan F and G are supposed to have the same coverage except that Plan G has one annual deductible for everything. I'd like to know more details.

I thought this was the only time a person on medicare can switch to a different provider.

Medicare supplements can be changed at anytime during the year. This annual enrollment season is only for Part D prescription plans and Part C Medicare Advantage plans.

A few years ago we changed insurers from one plant g to another. Wife is diabetic on metformin and she did not get denied by the new company.

Thanks Ret md! I save 600/year by going to plan g and since part b deductible is only 230 I will come out ahead. I appreciate knowing that it may be difficult as I age keeping accurate tabs on the big deductible for HD plan G so have decided against it. I honestly never thought about that aspect.

I start on Medicare in December and when I was doing my research on going with a plan G vs a plan N I came across one of the major carriers that had a clause that allowed someone to start out on an HD plan G and switch to a plan G in 3 or 4 years with no underwriting. I don't remember which company it was through, and I decided that I really didn't want to deal with keeping up with various payments throughout the year and settled on a regular plan G.

... I came across one of the major carriers that had a clause that allowed someone to start out on an HD plan G and switch to a plan G in 3 or 4 years with no underwriting. I don't remember which company it was through, and I decided that I really didn't want to deal with keeping up with various payments throughout the year and settled on a regular plan G.
That is Physician's Mutual "Innovative Plan G". The premium is very high while it's an HD-G so I do not recommend it.

Physician's Mutual: https://www.physiciansmutual.com/web/medsupp?redirect=physiciansmutual.com%2Fmsquote

Last edited:
That is Physician's Mutual "Innovative Plan G". The premium is very high while it's an HD-G so I do not recommend it.

Physician's Mutual: https://www.physiciansmutual.com/web/medsupp?redirect=physiciansmutual.com%2Fmsquote

I just looked at the price in my area through the link provided and the rate for this plan is $130/mo which is what I'll be paying for AARP/UHC regular plan G. I must have made the assumption that you start out paying the HD plan G price and then can switch it over to the regular plan G price after 3 years.

DH is stuck with his original expensive Mutual of Omaha plan, cannot change to any new plan. DH is actually doing very well with his psoriatic arthritis, he takes medication, exercise, watches his weight and diet, etc. I think that once you are diagnosed with a disease like this you cannot ever pass underwriting.

Do you mind sharing the expensive MoO premium amount? And how many years DH has been with MoO?

I have MoO plan G in Ohio 76 year old male. My premium is $156.80 per month.

That seems pretty low, as we just started with Moo plan G and I pay $115 as a male.

I wonder if Ohio has rules that make it easy to subscribers to switch plans, this would put a natural damper on giant increases by a single plan carrier. ?

Do you mind sharing the expensive MoO premium amount? And how many years DH has been with MoO?

DH is age 71, been on MofO plan G for 6 years and premium is $225 per month. For comparison I am also age 71, on AARP /UHC Plan G and my premium is half that, $110.

That seems pretty low, as we just started with Moo plan G and I pay $115 as a male.

I wonder if Ohio has rules that make it easy to subscribers to switch plans, this would put a natural damper on giant increases by a single plan carrier. ?

I switched from Medical Mutual to MoO about 2 years ago because they were cheaper. I had to answer a lot of medical questions, Then MoO called me and asked me more Medical questions, they actually asked me about a prescription I got after hernia surgery that I had forgotten about.

I believe they knew more about my medical history than I did.

I wonder if Ohio has rules that make it easy to subscribers to switch plans, this would put a natural damper on giant increases by a single plan carrier.
I switched from Medical Mutual to MoO about 2 years ago because they were cheaper...
MOO has been changing names in Ohio. If JARON46 switched 2 years ago, he is in the new, young and healthy pool that started 9/20/19.

1) New Omaha Insurance Company Med Supp in Ohio

Effective 6/30/12 you may begin selling our competitively priced Medicare supplement product in Ohio through our NEW affiliate, Omaha Insurance Company.

Note: Upon release of the Omaha Insurance Company Med supp product in Ohio, the United of Omaha application will no longer be available on the e-App tool.

2) New United World Medicare Supplement Plans in Ohio

Effective June 18, 2016, you may begin selling our competitively priced Medicare supplement product in Ohio underwritten by United World.

Application will be available on e-App effective 6/18/16. Upon availability of the United World Ohio Med supp e-App, the Omaha Insurance Company Ohio e-App will no longer be available.

3) New Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement Plans in Ohio

You may begin selling our new competitively priced Medicare supplement plans in Ohio, underwritten by Mutual of Omaha, effective September 20, 2019.

The Mutual of Omaha Medicare supplement application will be available on the e-App Friday, September 20, 2019. Upon its availability, the United World e-App will no longer be available.

Conversions: Should your client wish to convert to another policy (from one Mutual affiliate to another), you must complete all applicable conversion paperwork, including your client’s signed authorization, and submit that to us. Conversions are subject to underwriting.

https://blogs.mutualofomaha.com/express/?s=ohio&x=0&y=0

Go to medigapseminars.org. A great site with a lot of info on Medicare gap c plans d plans. Also the guy who rinds the site will help you pick plans for free. He is paid by ins co. He got me on a medical plan and I am pleased with it. But if you do not want his help that is fine too and the info is still free to look at

I've only been on Medicare for a year but despite doing a lot of research before choosing my supplement feel like I'm still just beginning to learn about the complexities involved in dealing with Medigap plans.

Case in point: I used BoomerBenetfits (.com) to help with finding a policy after seeing them recommended on these forums numerous times. But neither they nor any other agent you might choose to deal with is going to work with ALL of the providers available in your state. To find those you need to consult the Medicare.gov site annually. In my case Boomer's had me sign up for the high-deductible Part G plan I requested with Mutual of Omaha, but they didn't bother telling me about cheaper plans from other providers or - much more importantly! - that in many states including mine (Arizona) you can get both attained age and issue age plans. Attained age are more common and are all that's available in many states: you start out with a fairly low premium which then increases - often rapidly - with age. Issue-age plans are more expensive initially but only go up due to inflation in medical costs, whereas what happens with attained age plans is that as healthier folks see their premiums spiking they apply for cheaper coverage with other insurers, leaving those who can't get underwriting and are thus stuck with their existing plan in the pool, which drives up the cost even more. An agent I spoke to with 30 years of experience in the field said that Mutual of Omaha is among many players known for entering a market with low teaser rates below their costs and then rapidly raising them once people are enrolled and unable to leave due to pre-existing conditions.

Sheesh. And here I thought being on Medicare would be a reprieve from dealing with ACA plans.

I've only been on Medicare for a year but despite doing a lot of research before choosing my supplement feel like I'm still just beginning to learn about the complexities involved in dealing with Medigap plans.

Case in point: I used BoomerBenetfits (.com) to help with finding a policy after seeing them recommended on these forums numerous times. But neither they nor any other agent you might choose to deal with is going to work with ALL of the providers available in your state. To find those you need to consult the Medicare.gov site annually. In my case Boomer's had me sign up for the high-deductible Part G plan I requested with Mutual of Omaha, but they didn't bother telling me about cheaper plans from other providers or - much more importantly! - that in many states including mine (Arizona) you can get both attained age and issue age plans. Attained age are more common and are all that's available in many states: you start out with a fairly low premium which then increases - often rapidly - with age. Issue-age plans are more expensive initially but only go up due to inflation in medical costs, whereas what happens with attained age plans is that as healthier folks see their premiums spiking they apply for cheaper coverage with other insurers, leaving those who can't get underwriting and are thus stuck with their existing plan in the pool, which drives up the cost even more. An agent I spoke to with 30 years of experience in the field said that Mutual of Omaha is among many players known for entering a market with low teaser rates below their costs and then rapidly raising them once people are enrolled and unable to leave due to pre-existing conditions.

Sheesh. And here I thought being on Medicare would be a reprieve from dealing with ACA plans.

On medicare.gov, there is only one insurer out of 73 that shows up as attained age which makes me think it may be a mistake and that attained age is not a thing in Arizona.

https://www.medicare.gov/medigap-su...TYPE_G?fips=04013&zip=85016&year=2022&lang=en

The games that some insurers play have been discussed a lot here. Boomer Benefits and other brokers probably don't work with all the insurers but they may help you avoid some of the shadier ones.

On medicare.gov, there is only one insurer out of 73 that shows up as attained age which makes me think it may be a mistake and that attained age is not a thing in Arizona.

https://www.medicare.gov/medigap-su...TYPE_G?fips=04013&zip=85016&year=2022&lang=en

Thank you for this correction! It turns out that Arizona is one of four states that are issue-age only. My agent at Boomers didn't know this and when I called Mutual of Omaha they told me my policy was attained age - until I called them back a second time!

Here's an article that explains which states offer which coverages and the plusses and minuses of each option:

https://www.remedigap.com/medicare-supplements/issue-age-vs-attained-age/

The bottom line seems to be to look at the policies offered in your state on Medicare.gov FIRST and only then contact a broker like Boomers.

Effective January 2022, Illinois will implement the birthday rule for medicare supplement holders. There are a lot of negative opinions about MoO on this site. I will have the ability to change medicare supplements underwriting. I would have to continue with MoO but could switch to plan N or high deductible plan G.
https://www.medicarefaq.com/blog/illinois-birthday-rule/

Effective January 2022, Illinois will implement the birthday rule for medicare supplement holders. There are a lot of negative opinions about MoO on this site. I will have the ability to change medicare supplements underwriting. I would have to continue with MoO but could switch to plan N or high deductible plan G.
https://www.medicarefaq.com/blog/illinois-birthday-rule/

This is not such a good deal.

As one is still stuck with the same Carrier (ins company). So if Moo is bad , it's still bad when a person moves to a lesser paying plan..

I'm thrown off by the effective date of 11 months ago.... as in the past.

has anyone in Illinois noticed a change in premiums starting in January? I am wondering if the new Illinois rule will cause an increase.

Back
Top Bottom