Switching Medigap Plans

Teacher Terry

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I decided to start a new thread because I realized if I go down to a Plan G high deductible from a F I can’t go back because of the fact I can’t pass medical underwriting. I know I can’t pass because I just tried. Luckily Nevada has the birthday rule so I can change then without underwriting.

My motivation is cost because mine goes up 20/month every year and it’s now 200/month. A high deductible G plan would cost 52/month. Combined with part b at 170 and D at 12 it’s expensive for someone on a income of 32k/ year and I want to keep my savings for true emergencies and not spend it on monthly bills.

Keep in mind that I was under a ton of stress when initially choosing a medigap plan because I was expecting not to have to make that decision until I was 70 due to my husband being younger and my ability to stay on my state employee plan.

All of a sudden I am getting divorced, selling a house, buying a condo and having to pick a plan for life. For those of you who know more than me about the various medigap plans is there any reason this is a bad idea?

You should compare the Plan F and Plan N with your Plan G/HD to see if your expected medical expenses paying the deductible would be more or less than the premium difference. That higher deductible is every year plus the Part B deductible.

You should also give some thought to who will manage/track/pay your medical bills for you if you become unable to do so yourself. You will be responsible for the PITA job of paying your bills each year until/if that ever-increasing $2,700 annual deductible is finally met. Not something I want to have to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Terry, have you looked at the regular G plan rather than the high deductible? The deductible is much less on the regular G, less to keep up with as you get older. I am wondering if the regular G is substantially less than the F.

You should also give some thought to who will manage/track/pay your medical bills for you if you become unable to do so yourself. You will be responsible for the PITA job of paying your bills each year until/if that ever-increasing $2,700 annual deductible is finally met. Not something I want to have to be concerned about.

Exactly! I’ve had enough of high deductibles and the tracking required from ACA plans. So many times I’ve been overcharged up front then have to get the provider to reimburse. I’m sure Medicare is not as bad as I expect the provider will let you wait until the bill has gone through Medicare.gov before you are billed. But as a gift to myself in my old age if I make it there I’m not taking the HD Medigap approach.

If you can change your plan every year and if you're healthy now, I would definitely go on a high deductible plan G. If/when you get sick, change over to a standard plan G, but I don't know your state's premiums, I imagine they are higher because of being able to change plans every year.

Exactly! I’ve had enough of high deductibles and the tracking required from ACA plans. So many times I’ve been overcharged up front then have to get the provider to reimburse. I’m sure Medicare is not as bad as I expect the provider will let you wait until the bill has gone through Medicare.gov before you are billed. But as a gift to myself in my old age if I make it there I’m not taking the HD Medigap approach.

This.

One of the small treats I give myself in geezerhood is carrying my Plan F supplement. I get EOB's several times a year. look them over and file them for a couple of years. It's been years since I've owed anything to a provider and the lack of paperwork, tracking and making payments is great.

Thanks for the idea to look at the regular G plans. I will do that.

If you can change your plan every year and if you're healthy now, I would definitely go on a high deductible plan G. If/when you get sick, change over to a standard plan G, but I don't know your state's premiums, I imagine they are higher because of being able to change plans every year.
Sounds like she’s constrained by only switching to same or more restrictive plans?

Agreed on not tracking bills on the full Plan G. I had enough of that when I was on ACA. then again on a HD Plan F. I switched while I could pass underwriting to a full Plan G and never looked back. Medicare, Supplements and Dr's billing periods do not match. Keeping them all straight was a nightmare, although doable. As I get older, for certain my capabilities to keep the various paperwork honest will diminish.

Even if you are currently healthy, it may be good to pay a bit more on a monthly basis to manage the personal cashflow, if it works within your budget.

I looked at the regular G plans and I would save 54/month so would pay 144. Of course I am sure it will go up yearly like my current plan. I am constrained by the fact that I can only go to equal or lesser plan.

Interesting that my HBP or asthma don’t stop me from passing underwriting but my tachycardia totally under control for 18 years with a beta blocker does. I can’t tell you all how many times this forum has been helpful to me when facing these types of issues. I was hoping to save more money but that doesn’t appear likely.

I am also constrained by having to pick a plan offered by via benefits to keep my retiree subsidy of 195/month which is substantial. Thanks so much everyone. You are the best!!

How to switch providers for Medigap

We have Anthem BCBS Plan G. We were thinking of moving to AARP UHC. Are we better off using a broker? I was looking at the packet of info UHC has online and there are a couple things that stood out.

1. The price quoted on the info they mailed me is lower than what they have posted in an "attachment" online and both are different than what I got using the government site. Which price would it be?
2. The information online says we need to have both our old policies and the new ones with them for the first month so we'd be paying double. Is that correct?

In Missouri you can get a new Medigap policy 30 days before and after your anniversary date for Medicare so I will go through the underwriting but DH won't have to.

Any pointers on how to do this would be great. We just applied for the Anthem policies online when we turned 65 but we've had bad experiences with insurance brokers in the past.

Thanks!

We have Anthem BCBS Plan G. We were thinking of moving to AARP UHC. Are we better off using a broker? I was looking at the packet of info UHC has online and there are a couple things that stood out.

1. The price quoted on the info they mailed me is lower than what they have posted in an "attachment" online and both are different than what I got using the government site. Which price would it be?
2. The information online says we need to have both our old policies and the new ones with them for the first month so we'd be paying double. Is that correct?

In Missouri you can get a new Medigap policy 30 days before and after your anniversary date for Medicare so I will go through the underwriting but DH won't have to.

Any pointers on how to do this would be great. We just applied for the Anthem policies online when we turned 65 but we've had bad experiences with insurance brokers in the past.

Thanks!

I'm planning on getting Anthem BCBS as a medigap plan G. Is there some reason you're leaving that for AARP?

I'm thinking maybe we should not have signed up with Moo, and should move to AARP UHC,

(2)
I read the same thing that we would need to get the new one, while keeping the old one, and there would be a 1 month overlap where we are paying both for the same month.

I'd hate to pay for both, and then decide I wasn't going to switch as the new one is lousy in some way.

It seems ridiculous to pay for 2 plans when that doesn’t happen when you switch drug plans.

I decided to start a new thread because I realized if I go down to a Plan G high deductible from a F I can’t go back because of the fact I can’t pass medical underwriting. I know I can’t pass because I just tried. Luckily Nevada has the birthday rule so I can change then without underwriting.

My motivation is cost because mine goes up 20/month every year and it’s now 200/month. A high deductible G plan would cost 52/month. Combined with part b at 170 and D at 12 it’s expensive for someone on a income of 32k/ year and I want to keep my savings for true emergencies and not spend it on monthly bills.

Switch to Plan G-HD then IF you have trouble tracking your bills back to Plan G or N using the above when you develop a serious medical condition.

Has anyone gone through underwriting? How strict are they? What person over 65 doesn't have some medical issue? I guess it depends on the insurance company. The big two...diabetes and blood pressure can be controlled. Do they dig into doctor notes that express the patient is following good dietary restrictions etc?

My nephrologist did not name patients of his on my last visit but said many do not follow his advice and continue to use high-salt diets and take NSAIDs. Big factors in kidney disease.

Has anyone gone through underwriting? How strict are they? What person over 65 doesn't have some medical issue? I guess it depends on the insurance company. The big two...diabetes and blood pressure can be controlled. Do they dig into doctor notes that express the patient is following good dietary restrictions etc?

My nephrologist did not name patients of his on my last visit but said many do not follow his advice and continue to use high-salt diets and take NSAIDs. Big factors in kidney disease.

DH and I have been through underwriting to change Medicare supplement companies in NC. I passed--I have no health issues and take no prescriptions. DH failed--he has psoriatic arthritis which automatically disqualified him.

DH and I have been through underwriting to change Medicare supplement companies in NC. I passed--I have no health issues and take no prescriptions. DH failed--he has psoriatic arthritis which automatically disqualified him.

Sorry for DH. Does he keep his original plan and have to pay higher premiums? psoriatic arthritis is not something you can control with diet and exercise. It's my understanding medications and treatment can be expensive. My DB has rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis sucks in every way. He actually did not know that it is an autoimmune disease. This shows how much he pays attention to his medical condition. He just knows it is super painful.

Be aware--I don't think you can switch from HD-G back to regular G without underwriting.

I think this is true even in states with a "birthday rule" such as California. You should check this out before taking this step. If you learn differently, please let us know. I am eagerly waiting for Medicare in 2 years and would initially pick a HD-G plan, but only if I could later switch back to G under a "birthday rule."

I failed underwriting as mentioned in one of my posts above. I will have to go to a regular G plan because the birthday rule only lets you go back to equal or lower plan. I have ruled out the HD plan because of this. Pretty sure you can’t pass with diabetes.

Sorry for DH. Does he keep his original plan and have to pay higher premiums? psoriatic arthritis is not something you can control with diet and exercise. It's my understanding medications and treatment can be expensive. My DB has rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis sucks in every way. He actually did not know that it is an autoimmune disease. This shows how much he pays attention to his medical condition. He just knows it is super painful.

DH is stuck with his original expensive Mutual of Omaha plan, cannot change to any new plan. DH is actually doing very well with his psoriatic arthritis, he takes medication, exercise, watches his weight and diet, etc. I think that once you are diagnosed with a disease like this you cannot ever pass underwriting.

Be aware--I don't think you can switch from HD-G back to regular G without underwriting.

I think this is true even in states with a "birthday rule" such as California. You should check this out before taking this step. If you learn differently, please let us know. I am eagerly waiting for Medicare in 2 years and would initially pick a HD-G plan, but only if I could later switch back to G under a "birthday rule."

You would be correct.

Some bits of info, and thoughts, FWIW:

There are people (like me) who didn't have issues or on prescription medication that went through underwriting.
I switched from MoO Plan G to AARP/UHC Plan N.

I answered all the questions on the medical history form, and gave them authorization to dig wherever. Then it went into a short holding interval, a few days, a week max? I'm sure during that time they checked the MIB and any other sources, insurance companies are no dummies, they're on the lookout for hiders or fakers. They also may get back to you and ask more questions if needed. I got the go-ahead without any additional questions. I think they take surgeries for common ailments in stride, like gallbladder removal, hernia repair, etc. I think they just want to know that it was successful with no lingering problems from surgery. They might have a minimum duration since surgery in mind, who knows. Any word of cancer is a red flag, as are some other major issues that are ongoing, expensive, and can get worse. I don't remember what they were, as I don't have them.

I suspect that some issues, like a recent surgery, they might say no. Because it's too close to know any possible $$ fallout from it. I have heard of people who failed, and later applied again, same company, same plan letter, and passed. May have heard it here on ER-Org.

At least with AARP/UHC, somewhere there was an application online that you could just download for your state, and you could look through the pages of application info needed to see what they were sniffing out.

Insurance companies can have different rate classes for the same Plan letter. For example, when I had the CSGActuarial login, I saw that AARP/UHC for same state, same zip code, had multiple rate classes with big difference in price. They weren't the only company with different rates that way! They want to pick up some of the "nobodies perfect" business, but not lose their shirt doing it. Remember the No Tobacco / Tobacco User differentiation, and companies can give a underwriting answer of "No", but we would accept you into a higher-tier rate class X we have, due to your conditions.

When I switched Plan Letter and companies, I don't remember having to pay one month twice. It was a smooth transition. Done via broker.

Probably obvious, but NOW is NOT a good time to call a broker, with the yearly MA feeding frenzy in full swing! Call at least a week before it starts, or after it ends and the people have had a few days to pick up the pieces and recharge!

One last bit... we would all like to delay paying for fire insurance until we've actually had a fire, but insurance companies don't seem to agree! (changing plans like going from HD-G to G without underwriting. If they allow it, seems everyone in that state shares the cost via higher rates to all).

Last edited:
Probably obvious, but NOW is NOT a good time to call a broker, with the yearly MA feeding frenzy in full swing! Call at least a week before it starts, or after it ends and the people have had a few days to pick up the pieces and recharge!

I thought this was the only time a person on medicare can switch to a different provider.

Back
Top Bottom