The long term care insurance dilemma

This link brings you to the latest "Senior Living Guide" from the Chicago Tribune, last sunday.
It IS an advertisement provided by dozens and dozens of facilities , but more importantly it has a broad overview for alternative living for seniors.
The part that I found interesting was that each of the different alternatives gives a price range for that particular type of care.
As much as I thought I knew about senior living, the different links opened my eyes to things I haven't considered.
The pages are directed to Ilinois residents, but the information is general in nature.
Illinois has its' own websites that delineate the state assistance for different levels of income and medicaid eligibility. Most states will also have this type of homepage for legal and financial matters.
Note... click the main headings for access to the information pages.

Senior Housing Guide - Chicago Tribune

Based upon this web site: VA Health Care: Cost and Co-payments | Military.com it appears that significant service connected disabilities remove any means testing for getting the benefit. (Which only makes sense since the disability was due to military service). It appears the means testing is primarily for those with low disability percentages
The following from the web site discusses VA means testing
"Certain nonservice-connected and 0% noncompensable service-connected veterans are required to fill out the financial worksheet, which we refer to as the "Means Test." A means test is a gathering of financial information by which VA determines your priority group for enrollment, and whether or not you are required to make copayments for the service you receive. The means test is based on prior year income and net worth."

Back
Top Bottom