Things we can't do anymore

Are we twins separated at birth? Other than the arthritis, (shouldn't temp fate) you just described me. My grandfather had the shakes so bad, fear I'm going to end up like him. They said his was "miners asthma", he did work in the mines, but he was a smoker too so he probably had COPD. Heck I quit at 43, same year the shakes started. I've never asked my doc about it, maybe I don't wanna know the answer?

🐑
Twins? I guess we'll never know. I don't know of any family history of shakes or tremors, but my parents both died relatively young. They were smokers, but I never did like that stuff and having asthma myself, so it's probably good I didn't. I'll be seeing a neurologist at the end of the month to see what they have to say, because I'd kind of like to know the answer.

Age 56.6 here.

I actually went through several years of dealing with bilateral carpal tunnel, tendinitis, RSI in upper body in my early 40s. It was a real PITA to have to give up things like softball, racquetball, volleyball, golf, and any manually intensive or repetitive activities in daily life. My grip strength went to hell. It was determined that I had an outcome of a permanent partial disability (10%) in my hands. If I continued to w*rk, it would have worsened. :nonono:
Besides the nasty politics, it was the biggest reason for me to quit. I did not get disability retirement.

Present day...8 years after FIRE, I am actually regaining some of my hand strength back and have nowhere near the upper body issues because I am not on the computer stuck in an office chair 8 hours per day.
I do my hand exercises and all over body stretches every day. I use light hand barbells for toning and overall upper body health. I am steadily getting some improvement. :dance:

The chronic pain from my cervical spine was my main reason for me to quit two years ago, and leaving work has allowed me to gain more control over the pain. I also had carpal tunnel and worked through it with exercises taught to me by an occupational therapist. Can't get past this shaking in my hands that has affected me this past year. I didn't get disability either and didn't even consider pursuing it. Probably should have.

Hmmm, let me count the ways [currently age 62]:

Reading fine print darned near impossible.
Hearing - I now use those hearing assistance devices at plays, often use closed captioning on my TV. I hear the sounds, but many of the words are muffled. Hearing aids likely in the next couple of years.
Lifting anything heavy. And the definition of "heavy" keeps getting lower :)
Retired from softball 5 years ago, as my once-mediocre playing skills deteriorated to downright bad.
Anything beyond the simplest DIY repairs. I either no longer have the skills or the desire.
And quite seriously, my driving skills. I drive slower now, triple check before going in reverse (even with the back-up camera/sound alert) or changing lanes. I just don't trust my initial driving instincts.

Can't pee, can't sleep, can't hear, can't see, can't eat, can't drink, can't drive at night,

DW in her most condescending voice: "But let's focus on what you can do"

Twins? I guess we'll never know. I don't know of any family history of shakes or tremors, but my parents both died relatively young. They were smokers, but I never did like that stuff and having asthma myself, so it's probably good I didn't. I'll be seeing a neurologist at the end of the month to see what they have to say, because I'd kind of like to know the answer.

Probably not, I fortunately knew my family history. Not sure if GF tremors were due to COPD. That's what the docs said, but that was in the early '60s. It really could have been anything.

Good luck with the neurologist.

🐑

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?
I am sorry that you are having this difficulty, Dash Man.

Ha

img_1590143_0_ad254483e73c9250db4d118df5469e1a.jpg

Glad to hear you're seeing a neurologist. If you were 78 I wouldn't worry so much about the shaking but at 58 I'd want to know what's up.

We have numerous +80 year olds playing pickleball at our club every day so I know it's possible to stay physically fit and active for many years.

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?

Are you under a Dr's supervision for the unsteady hands? Because neither I at 55+ nor DH almost 60 are having trouble with hand shake or any of the other things you report.

58 seems young to me.

OK - glad to see your planned visit with a neurologist.

My eyesight is not as good as in the past. Now working on small things like all small screw driver, I have to take off my glasses to see up close. Oh yeah, I drop things more than I used to, like my keys.

Im the opposite. I have to put my readers on to work with screw drivers and screwers...Damnedest thing...I can see the screwdriver and screw, but cant see the insertion point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My near vision is horrible and I wear reading glasses all day when inside.

My far vision, which was lousy, hasn't worsened. That is corrected with contact lenses.

I used to only need readig glasses for reading. Now I need them for cooking and any other activity at arms length.

My near vision is horrible and I wear reading glasses all day when inside.

My far vision, which was lousy, hasn't worsened. That is corrected with contact lenses.

I used to only need readig glasses for reading. Now I need them for cooking and any other activity at arms length.

Its all about lighting now isn't it? I can actually read a newspaper outside with sunlight. Indoor lighting just isn't enough anymore. Distance past my arm length is fine. Don't really see a need to go see a doctor for typical old age eyes.

Its all about lighting now isn't it? I can actually read a newspaper outside with sunlight. Indoor lighting just isn't enough anymore. Distance past my arm length is fine. Don't really see a need to go see a doctor for typical old age eyes.

Yep - light makes a huge difference.

I had something unique and profound to post here, but after reading the last page of posts, I forgot what it was.

I've too have noticed that light is darker than it used to be...

I agree. I recently bought a glass storm door just so I can leave door open and bring more light in. First 10 years I leaved here I never thought it was dark inside. Now I do, and I enjoy the living room being more lighted now.

Age 62

Can't walk as far. I have to watch for a "point of no return" if I get too far from home or where my car is parked. Not as much of an out of breath situation, as it is knees, hips, and any other joint used for walking. I have had to split my shopping between groceries and pharmacies, because I can't make it from one side of Walmart to the other. Lawn mowing takes 3 days for a 50 x 100 yard.

Mostly my fault for being a couch potato for too long. Would probably be worse if I wasn't forced to stay in shape during my military career.

In better shape than some 62 year old's I know, but worse than some others. I know some who have had heart attacks and bouts with cancer. On the other side, I know others who run marathons.

Aging reduces light perception (night driving issues). But sometimes it's cataracts. Get your eyes checked.

I stopped wearing contacts because now I can read fine print without readers due to my lifelong nearsightedness.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You might check out "essential tremors"... fairly common, but not often mentioned.
and
"idiopathic polyneuropthy", which has to do with nerve damage.

WebMD usually has good information, in layman's terms... or Mayo.

best wishes for a diagnosis, cure, or ways to deal with it.

I believe I am actually in pretty good shape for a guy of 71.5. While I have some minor hearing loss, probably due to military time near very loud diesel generators and missile nose cooling units, there is not much indication of arthritis or other deteriorating issues.

I can drive well at night - no sign of any cataracts. Vision only slightly off 20/20 - I do wear glasses. Still can completely disassemble an Iphone and re-assemble it with new parts (recent practice on DW's water logged one).

I just completed driving to St. Louis, Mo and back to Texas (1,800 miles round trip) and did all the driving.

I have a titanium hip implant from a hip being worn out when I was a long distance runner (my belief of the cause) and that has not slowed my ability to walk a few miles each day.

My hair is gray, but lots of it.

No more softball due to loss of quickness.

Golf game is shot - hand/eye coordination getting suspect.

Still do yard work and dig big holes without being in shock the next day. :LOL:

Had my annual physical last month and all blood work came back in normal ranges. Total cholesterol was 130 (no meds taken).

Summary: Doc says I am in "pretty good" shape for a guy my age. But there are signs of things going south (hearing, quickness, skin tone and spots, slight stiffness in fingers). While I feel good about this, I have a few friends in their mid 70's that appear to be in much better physical shape than me and they have a very good golf game.

+1
My vision is bad, legally blind at 6(uncorrected) but I could always see in the dark to not have to turn on lights. Now that trick sends me walking into walls.

🐑

Back
Top Bottom