Things we can't do anymore

...back to the essential tremors...
The most common fear that accompanies the symptoms, is that of the onset of Parkinsons. Here is the Mayo Clinic's explanation of the difference:

Essential tremor vs. Parkinson's disease

Many people associate tremors with Parkinson's disease, but the two conditions differ in key ways:

Timing of tremors. Essential tremor of the hands usually occurs when you use your hands. Tremors from Parkinson's disease are most prominent when your hands are at your sides or resting in your lap.
Associated conditions. Essential tremor doesn't cause other health problems, but Parkinson's disease is associated with a stooped posture, slow movement and a shuffling gait. However, people with essential tremor may sometimes develop other neurological signs and symptoms, such as an unsteady gait (ataxia).
Parts of body affected. Essential tremor mainly involves your hands, head and voice. Parkinson's disease tremors usually start in your hands, and may affect your legs, chin and other parts of your body.

About half of essential tremor cases appear to result from a genetic mutation. This form is referred to as familial tremor. It isn't clear what causes essential tremor in people without a known genetic mutation.

Research has found that changes in specific areas of the brain may contribute to essential tremor.

...and here's the way to prepare for the doctor consultation:
Essential tremor Preparing for your appointment - Mayo Clinic

The rest of the article covers treatment and possible medications. Low doses of anti siezures as Neurontin and or tranquilizers such as Klonopin have kept the shaking under control, with few if any side effects.
....................................................................................
At an earlier age, we believed that excercise, diet, and avoidance of the sinful, smoking, drinking and eating too much were the best we could do to prevent health problems. Now, not so much. If there's a medicine to ease our way through growing older, not too proud to try it out. :)

Last edited:
I don't even what to think about what my future entails. I'm only 35 and already have pain from things that no one under 70 should have pain from. I went to a state park a few days ago and walked up the observation tower. It's 40 feet tall. I was winded just from that and had to wait several minutes before I could even think about going back down. Then I walked an almost completely flat 2 mile(roundtrip) trail. The last 10 minutes I could barely walk because of severe pain in my right hip. A while back I woke up with shoulder pain. It's been a couple months and hasn't gone away. How do you injure your shoulder while sleeping? I didn't do anything to injure my shoulder. Doctor says I have shoulder impingement syndrome. I'm using ice, ibuprofen, and rest but if the pain doesn't go away soon i'll have to do physical therapy and/or have a cortisone injection. I'm too young for this $h!t.

Last edited:
After reading all of this thread I feel pretty lucky. At 68 my eyesight and hearing are still good. I have had a knee replaced but that is all. No tremors and my memory is still excellent. I am going to retire my bicycle and acquire a Husky Tricycle. At my age I don't need to be falling off a bicycle. The trike with a rear basket will give me a good errand running vehicle when I get back to my home town.

I can't believe I've gotten this old...69. I'm going to be 70 this year! I am also a "Live Below Your Means" type of gal. Every morning, I go out with the clippers and limb trimmer, and work on trimming the dead branches, etc. (because of the fire danger). It's a whole body workout, I work up a sweat, and feel great for the rest of the day.

But, I must say, I now need glasses for cooking. And, I forget what I came into this room for?.... I am just grateful that I am still here, reasonably healthy, and have most of my marbles left.

After reading all of this thread I feel pretty lucky. At 68 my eyesight and hearing are still good. I have had a knee replaced but that is all. No tremors and my memory is still excellent. I am going to retire my bicycle and acquire a Husky Tricycle. At my age I don't need to be falling off a bicycle. The trike with a rear basket will give me a good errand running vehicle when I get back to my home town.

:cool: Before you buy a trike, test one out on a long ride. Most tricycles are dogs to pedal... looks easy, but it's not. Hard to pedal, hard to turn, and even with gears, hard to go uphill. Recumbants are better, easier to pedal, and lots easier to make turns... also more expensive.

Just a personal prejudice, but I have seen more people getting hurt on trikes than ever on bicycles, and I wouldn't think of riding one on a road with traffic.

Last edited:
Because it is not a subject that needs to be discussed! :) Ya, lets drop the Speedo thing pretty quickly in life, but shorts? Never! Im 50 and haven't bought a pair of shorts that stops above my knees in 20 years. Classy golf shorts etc look fine. As far as that goes older women look fine in classy shorts also. Veracious veins? Who cares we aren't dressing to impress 20 somethings. If anyone is they will be disappointed no matter what they wear.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped wearing speedo's decades ago, but I kept them just to threaten our daughters that I would wear them when they had friends up to the cabin :D

I don't even what to think about what my future entails. I'm only 35 and already have pain from things that no one under 70 should have pain from. ....... A while back I woke up with shoulder pain. It's been a couple months and hasn't gone away. How do you injure your shoulder while sleeping? I didn't do anything to injure my shoulder. Doctor says I have shoulder impingement syndrome. I'm using ice, ibuprofen, and rest but if the pain doesn't go away soon i'll have to do physical therapy and/or have a cortisone injection. I'm too young for the $h!t.

I had that same sleeping injury thing happen to me, it did go away and they tested my nerves but didn't find anything.

:cool: Before you buy a trike, test one out on a long ride. Most tricycles are dogs to pedal... looks easy, but it's not. Hard to pedal, hard to turn, and even with gears, hard to go uphill. Recumbants are better, easier to pedal, and lots easier to make turns... also more expensive.

Just a personal prejudice, but I have seen more people getting hurt on trikes than ever on bicycles, and I wouldn't think of riding one on a road with traffic.
In the red river valley there are no hills; it's the bottom of glacial lake so flat as a table. I have tried one out and yes it's a little heavy to pedal and you have to be careful on turns but I prefer it to a recumbant. My home town is 1400 people so traffic is not a big problem.

... And, I forget what I came into this room for?.... I am just grateful that I am still here, reasonably healthy, and have most of my marbles left.

My guess is, you came into the room looking for your marbles.

I aḿ realizing now how fortunate I was not to be very good at contact sports when I was younger. An alarming number (to me) of the starters on my high school and college football teams, particularly those who played the positions with contact on every down, are not in good shape. That was also the era of no water at practice, ignoring concussions, and easy access to various pills and steroids (many wanted to ¨bulk up"quickly), which I now see taking its physical and mental toll on some of them, leaving them unable to do things.

I feel like you are describing me, minus the steroids. My playing weight was 230 lbs, I'm currently 170 lbs. All the muscle and extra bulk is long gone. After waking up one day in my mid-30s and realizing that my NFL dream was not going to happen I gave up the weight training regimen and became a shell of the guy I used to be :LOL: Now I'm having all sorts of issues with my joints, especially my shoulders, I've had rotator cuff surgery on one and will have the other done this year. My knees and hips are shot and require a lot of rest after long walks/hikes. I have always loved football, and still do, but if I had it to do again I would have concentrated on tennis or golf...

I have tried one out and yes it's a little heavy to pedal and you have to be careful on turns but I prefer it to a recumbant. My home town is 1400 people so traffic is not a big problem.
I'm curious - which recumbent trike did you try and what were your impressions?
Huskies are quite heavy-duty, but they are really dogs to pedal.

I feel like you are describing me, minus the steroids. ... Now I'm having all sorts of issues with my joints, especially my shoulders, I've had rotator cuff surgery on one and will have the other done this year. My knees and hips are shot and require a lot of rest after long walks/hikes. I have always loved football, and still do, but if I had it to do again I would have concentrated on tennis or golf...

+1 and it was just high school football for me. Past surgeries - knee, ankle, both big toes, hand, shoulder. Plus concussion worries. Arthritis in all the injured joints.

Tennis and golf would have been much better choices than football. Of course,DW tells me that as competitive as I [-]was[/-] am I would have found ways to injure myself in those sports, too.:angel:

Feeling the need to do some physical labor I dug 300 foot of trench for a security camera upgrade project on the homestead. Lots of aches and pains over the course of digging and backfilling, but I've found in the last few days that my body is bouncing back from the pains much more quickly than when I started about two weeks back.

So there - I'm pounding my chest and saying I can still do it! :clap:

Ouch *@!, dang it that hurts! :LOL:

Feeling the need to do some physical labor I dug 300 foot of trench for a security camera upgrade project on the homestead. Lots of aches and pains over the course of digging and backfilling, but I've found in the last few days that my body is bouncing back from the pains much more quickly than when I started about two weeks back.

Yikes. As a teen, spent one summer digging out footings prior to the concrete pour (among other foundation tasks). Now, at only age 55, I shudder at the impact of spending an entire day doing that. :blush:

Too much time driving a desk.

Unless this was a VERY concious choice to get more exercise I would have rented a walk behind trencher. That would be enough of a workout for me! Digging holes (or trenches!) to fill them back up is like that version of hell where he keeps rolling the giant stone up the hill.

I'm curious - which recumbent trike did you try and what were your impressions?
Huskies are quite heavy-duty, but they are really dogs to pedal.
I couldn't tell you the brand but a friend has a quite expensive recumbent that I rode around town. I just don't like the recumbent position I prefer the normal sitting position of a regular trike.

The only chest pounding would be the paramedics trying to get my heart started again...

I can't even dig a hole to plant a tree, but here in Pennsylvania we have clay....nasty rock filled heavy red clay. That's what machines were invented for.

Unless this was a VERY concious choice to get more exercise I would have rented a walk behind trencher. That would be enough of a workout for me! Digging holes (or trenches!) to fill them back up is like that version of hell where he keeps rolling the giant stone up the hill.

Knowing one of my far-from-being-ER'd co-w@rkers had a trencher he had told me I could borrow if ever needed, I called and asked him about it. The one he had was a bit of a monster, one of the largest wheeled models, next size up is on tracks! Didn't want to make that much of a mess of the yard. Checked on a few rental places trying to find one suitable for my project, but I'd eat up the better part of day just driving it back and forth. And yes, it was a very conscious choice to get the exercise, combined with being stubbornly frugal to a fault.

A little more info on why I am looking at a Husky trike. I'm a big guy at 6'6" and close to 300 pounds. The normal bike or even trike is not rated for that. My old mountain bike is probably 20 years old and I have replaced more spokes and rims than I care to count. The Husky is the only thing I have found that is designed for carrying heavy loads. I am not a cross country rider I just ride around town mostly. I have routes laid out that can give me up to 6 miles just around town. There is also a nice bike trail that runs about 8 miles from town to Icelandic State Park.

I never had that problem. Being physically unattractive has its advantages!

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.....Audrey Hepburn

:)

Last edited:
As a teen, spent one summer digging out footings prior to the concrete pour (among other foundation tasks)..........Just completed the same task. Cleared out an old shed footing, concrete and field stone. I am feeling the pain at 57, but consider it a victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No longer drive 12 hours.
On trip to Florida spent second night in Tampa; "only 3 hours from home" takes on a different meaning when you're over 60.

Back
Top Bottom