TIME Article: Why exercise won't make you thin

A protein-sugar drink taken immediately after intense exercise also hastens healing of the muscles damaged by hard exercise (Journal of Applied Physiology, April 2009).

Last edited by a moderator:
Losing weight does not necessarily mean you will be physically fit or look thin, and if you work out you may be more physically fit but it does not necessarily mean you will get thin and ripped looking.
When I was first diagnosed with T2 diabetes, over the following 3 month period, I went from ~215 lbs down to ~175 lbs by walking and eating better. From there, I started lifting weights and added quite a bit of lean muscle mass and did look thinner, however, over that 18 month period of lifting I saw my weight go up to about 198 lbs, with the diet remaining essentially the same, but probably a bit heathier. I still have a layer of fat, that regardless of what I do in the gym is not giving me a 6 pack, but I suspect that is more a function of my metabolism/insulin resistance and will only be solved by a better nutritional plan vs simply buring more calories through additional exercise. I posted an article about this earlier in the thread and believe it is fundamentally correct.

A person that actually looks lean is surprisingly light for their size. Almost everyone underestimates the amount of body fat they are actually carrying.

Losing weight does not necessarily mean you will be physically fit or look thin, and if you work out you may be more physically fit but it does not necessarily mean you will get thin and ripped looking.
When I was first diagnosed with T2 diabetes, over the following 3 month period, I went from ~215 lbs down to ~175 lbs by walking and eating better. From there, I started lifting weights and added quite a bit of lean muscle mass and did look thinner, however, over that 18 month period of lifting I saw my weight go up to about 198 lbs, with the diet remaining essentially the same, but probably a bit heathier. I still have a layer of fat, that regardless of what I do in the gym is not giving me a 6 pack, but I suspect that is more a function of my metabolism/insulin resistance and will only be solved by a better nutritional plan vs simply buring more calories through additional exercise. I posted an article about this earlier in the thread and believe it is fundamentally correct.
Look at the work of William E. Kraus, a cardiologist at Duke, who has done a very sophisticated series of studies on exercise and cardiovascular health. Very likely certain kinds of exercise done right will have a strong effect on health, even if no weight loss is experienced. In particular, one or more of his studies deal with insulin resistance, though I don't remember that the subjects were frankly diabetic.

Ha

Cyclegirl, 150 miles a week is pretty impressive. Except for the week long BRAG ride in June, 100 to 120 is about all I can manage. Of course, if I weren't working....

Back
Top Bottom