Triple failure dental implant

Ugh, sorry you are going through this.
I only have one implant, took over a year to finalize and bone graft to take/heal.
Hope you get a good resolution.

I have 3 bridges (so the river crossings are easier :)); the last one was done about 15 years ago. No issues with any of them, I regularly floss under and use a water pik. The dental practice that did the work was very good at the time. They since descended into cray-cray mode and we switched to a new dentist in the last couple of years. Even the new practice has said they are still in good shape.

I have had a fixed bridge for at least twelve years and it feels fine, just like my own teeth. Yes, I can chew fine one it, never an issue.

I never thought I would be discussing teeth, or lack thereof, on a retirement board but here goes.

I had to have my two bottom front teeth removed and replaced with a bridge almost 20 years ago. The bridge is anchored on both sides with crowns. I have known since that date that it would probably need to be replaced at some point. Now, it is failing with slight movement, change in top/bottom bite, and inability to bite down on most foods. Like most I don't have dental insurance. I know whatever I do it needs to last a long time. Lastly, I know I can afford any option as I just need to take money out of discretionary travel budget; however, I don't want to do something stupid either for my health or my wallet.

Are implants the only option or can I replace the bridge hopefully using the same two anchor teeth?

If I need to do implants should I plan on two or four?

I see some places talk about implants in a day whilst many (as reported here) talk about a multi-month process? Do I want to avoid anyone that talks about the implants in a day?

Some of the places that specialize in implants have "free consultations;" should I good multiple consultations and follow recommendations that make most sense?

One dentist has been recommended to me for implants but I was forewarned that he is very expensive and doesn't advertise "free" consultation; should I make him my last consultation?

Am I overthinking this?

I hate to do something detrimental to my health "probably" more than I hate to overpay.

I am fearful or "analysis paralysis" so looking for any words of insight.

thanks,

Marc

Marc: replacement "in kind" of a bridge is a call that can only be made by your dentist. They need to examine carefully to assure there is enough in both teeth to re-do it.

Sometimes bridges just get loose due to adhesive failure, or sometimes just a little erosion that doesn't drastically affect the anchor teeth. Re-glues or re-dos are possible.

I don't think you are overthinking anything. You probably should get multiple opinions. Keep in mind, even if you do get implants, you need to do something with those anchor teeth: either crowns or replacement implants. So a thorough examination is in order to start the process.

Back
Top Bottom