Triple failure dental implant

irishgal

Full time employment: Posting here.
I’ll make this as short as possible because my actual question is: does anyone have a fixed bridge and if so are you happy with it, does it feel strange, can you eat normally?

I’ve had a couple of implants done in the past with zero issues.

This time one DDS did it (including the bone placement) and the implant fell out 2 weeks after it was placed. He referred me to a dentist (who is also an MD) who does difficult cases, who felt he could successfully do the implant.
Did the bone graft, 4 months later implant was placed.
Fell out.
He went and put more bone in, implant 5 months later and one full year later, today, I went to have the prep done for the final crown and when the dentist went to take the healing cap off the implant came out with it.

The most confusing part is usually implants fail in people who are in poor health or smoke or have medical conditions that impact healing. This does not describe me.

So at this point after many surgeries and lots of money I have the one option of doing a bridge. I don’t know anyone who has one so while I can listen all day to the dentist tell me how wonderful they are I want to hear from an actual person who has had one done.
Thank you in advance. I’m trying to be positive but what a letdown.

I had one for many years. It's been replaced with an implant but while had it, it felt no different than my other teeth. I could eat just fine. The only difference was I had to floss under the bridge as food would get trapped there.

I have had a bridge for almost 30 years now. This was due to a tooth that never erupted, i.e. I had a baby tooth until age 30.

I have had no problems and it seems normal. My dental hygienist keeps forgetting about it and tries to floss "between" the teeth, then laughs. It is that good.

I do floss under it every night. This is important. You have to use a threader. Most of the time, the bridge is not a problem. One type of food tends to find a way under it, though. That is peanut skins. They are thin, durable, and curved to fit the profile. When one gets under, it drives me nuts (no pun intended) and I have to find my floss to get it out.

I have had a bridge for almost 30 years now. This was due to a tooth that never erupted, i.e. I had a baby tooth until age 30.

I have had no problems and it seems normal. My dental hygienist keeps forgetting about it and tries to floss "between" the teeth, then laughs. It is that good.

I do floss under it every night. This is important. You have to use a threader. Most of the time, the bridge is not a problem. One type of food tends to find a way under it, though. That is peanut skins. They are thin, durable, and curved to fit the profile. When one gets under, it drives me nuts (no pun intended) and I have to find my floss to get it out.

Thanks that makes me feel somewhat hopeful. I’ll stay away from peanut skins 😉

Same here, 20-25 years and no problems. I get popcorn husks and lettuce stuck, but floss cleans it out with no problems. I was thinking of an implant but if they don’t know why you had failures I’m thinking about it a bit more.

Same here, 20-25 years and no problems. I get popcorn husks and lettuce stuck, but floss cleans it out with no problems. I was thinking of an implant but if they don’t know why you had failures I’m thinking about it a bit more.

Yeah, when I got this bridge, the back tooth needed a crown anyway. It was a bummer to "ruin" the front tooth with a crown, but implants were brand new at the time and fortune, so I went with the bridge.

Every now and then I think of an implant but there's no good reason to do so. The two adjoining teeth are doing great.

I had a bridge on my front teeth for over 20 years with zero problems. A couple of years ago I bit down on something and I felt and heard the crown holding my bridge crack and go loose. The stump under the crown had broken off completely and could not be repaired so they had to make a longer bridge with an extra tooth and it's perfect. I can't even feel where it's connected, and it's perfect. It did take me about a month to use these teeth normally because I was scared to bite down on anything hard for fear of it happening again. Later I remembered that I had tried using a stainless steel straw for a while and I had banged it hard against that crown a couple of times which probably started the crack which eventually broke that tooth.
First visit they attempted to fix the crack which failed within a couple of days. The next visit they removed what was left of the broken tooth and took an impression and a week later they installed the new bridge and I couldn't be happier with it.

I have two fixed bridges. They feel like normal teeth and no problems eating anything. As everyone else has said, you must use a threader and floss them every night.

I had a bridge on my front teeth for over 20 years with zero problems. A couple of years ago I bit down on something and I felt and heard the crown holding my bridge crack and go loose. The stump under the crown had broken off completely and could not be repaired so they had to make a longer bridge with an extra tooth and it's perfect. I can't even feel where it's connected, and it's perfect. It did take me about a month to use these teeth normally because I was scared to bite down on anything hard for fear of it happening again. Later I remembered that I had tried using a stainless steel straw for a while and I had banged it hard against that crown a couple of times which probably started the crack which eventually broke that tooth.
First visit they attempted to fix the crack which failed within a couple of days. The next visit they removed what was left of the broken tooth and took an impression and a week later they installed the new bridge and I couldn't be happier with it.

Good to hear, thanks for your feedback

I have a bridge between two implants (three teeth next to each other all needed replacing). This was done in 2016. It's terrific, like having the strong teeth of my youth back again. Except, no cavities! :D

I have an excellent dentist, who works closely with an excellent oral surgeon. They have been best friends for decades and make an outstanding team.

I had a bridge for about thirty years but one of the abutment (?) teeth had problems so it and the bridge were removed. I had two implants in the space and they failed after less than a year, two more also failed. Implants on the other side of my mouth have been fine. The guy who did all of them is a well regarded oral surgeon. I just was plagued with infections undermining the bone grafts,

The bridge never bothered me at all. I wish I could have another but the gap is too wide after the removal of the abutment tooth. I don't want another set of implants so my dentist made dentures. I can't stand them so I am just ignoring the gap. So far, so good. I'm 75 so I will probably be dead before this presents a significant problem.

I had a bridge for about thirty years but one of the abutment (?) teeth had problems so it and the bridge were removed. I had two implants in the space and they failed after less than a year, two more also failed. Implants on the other side of my mouth have been fine. The guy who did all of them is a well regarded oral surgeon. I just was plagued with infections undermining the bone grafts,

The bridge never bothered me at all. I wish I could have another but the gap is too wide after the removal of the abutment tooth. I don't want another set of implants so my dentist made dentures. I can't stand them so I am just ignoring the gap. So far, so good. I'm 75 so I will probably be dead before this presents a significant problem.

Interesting that you too had implant fails. Very frustrating. I did sort of chuckle at “I’ll be dead before this presents a problem”…. But hopefully you don’t have problems! Thanks for your reply.

I’ll make this as short as possible because my actual question is: does anyone have a fixed bridge and if so are you happy with it, does it feel strange, can you eat normally?

I’ve had a couple of implants done in the past with zero issues.

This time one DDS did it (including the bone placement) and the implant fell out 2 weeks after it was placed. He referred me to a dentist (who is also an MD) who does difficult cases, who felt he could successfully do the implant.
Did the bone graft, 4 months later implant was placed.
Fell out.
He went and put more bone in, implant 5 months later and one full year later, today, I went to have the prep done for the final crown and when the dentist went to take the healing cap off the implant came out with it.

The most confusing part is usually implants fail in people who are in poor health or smoke or have medical conditions that impact healing. This does not describe me.

So at this point after many surgeries and lots of money I have the one option of doing a bridge. I don’t know anyone who has one so while I can listen all day to the dentist tell me how wonderful they are I want to hear from an actual person who has had one done.
Thank you in advance. I’m trying to be positive but what a letdown.

Seems kinda short between the bone graft and the implant. Wife is going through that now and they told her that it could be as much as 9 months before the implant should be done after the graft.

Cheers.

Seems kinda short between the bone graft and the implant. Wife is going through that now and they told her that it could be as much as 9 months before the implant should be done after the graft.

Cheers.

I wasn’t very clear on my timeline- the time between graft and implant was 5 months the second and third time.
The first time it was a different dentist who didn’t wait long enough and I think that set up the series of failures.
Glad to hear your wife is waiting, all the best for a success!

Sorry to hear about your experiences, but kind of glad to know I wasn't an anomaly. Same thing - repeated infections/failures despite zero health issues, smoking or other known problems. It was discouraging - especially after hearing all about how implants are the "gold standard" and have such a high success rate.

IrishGal - it's great that you still have another option to avoid dentures - and I know many people who have bridges with no issues. I'd go for it.

If I could do a bridge in that spot, I sure would, but I can't. I'm told my only option is a removable flipper (no way, no how - extremely uncomfortable - not meant for permanent use). I'm just leaving the gap and getting on with life. I'll likely lose the opposing teeth someday as well. :(

Last edited:
I wasn’t very clear on my timeline- the time between graft and implant was 5 months the second and third time.
The first time it was a different dentist who didn’t wait long enough and I think that set up the series of failures.
Glad to hear your wife is waiting, all the best for a success!

Oh man, sorry to hear that! Yep, wife is waiting but she's still aggravated while doing so.

Oh man, sorry to hear that! Yep, wife is waiting but she's still aggravated while doing so.

Well this won’t help but let her know that I had to do an implant on a cuspid, right up front, and had no tooth there for a full year. They made a silly slip in piece that was for cosmetic purposes but not something you can use to eat and this was when I was working- business dinners and so on. It was a challenge lol

Well this won’t help but let her know that I had to do an implant on a cuspid, right up front, and had no tooth there for a full year. They made a silly slip in piece that was for cosmetic purposes but not something you can use to eat and this was when I was working- business dinners and so on. It was a challenge lol

Oh man! No, hers is a molar that had previously had root canal. The aggravation is that only a few months ago she finished a round of invisilign and she could already see that the teeth on either side were starting to migrate. She was down to only wearing a retainer but started using it again in the evenings and things are back in place and it isn't irritating the empty space.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, but kind of glad to know I wasn't an anomaly. Same thing - repeated infections/failures despite zero health issues, smoking or other known problems. It was discouraging - especially after hearing all about how implants are the "gold standard" and have such a high success rate.

IrishGal - it's great that you still have another option to avoid dentures - and I know many people who have bridges with no issues. I'd go for it.

If I could do a bridge in that spot, I sure would, but I can't. I'm told my only option is a removable flipper (no way, no how - extremely uncomfortable - not meant for permanent use). I'm just leaving the gap and getting on with life. I'll likely lose the opposing teeth someday as well. :(

A couple of observations:

First: I think they should be more aggressive with antibiotics when they do any significant work on bone grafts and/or drilling and screwing in implant posts. My fails resulted from infections. They tried to save them but it was too late. Might have been different if I had antibiotics up front.

Second: On the opposing tooth descending into the gap or migrating sideways, sure I guess it's a thing. But when I moved to DC 43 years ago I started with a dentist who was pretty good. He bugged me to bridge a gap in the upper left, where a molar or something had been removed. Every time I saw him he would raise it. At one point I asked what the danger was and he pointed out the opposing tooth issue and migration of the surrounding teeth. I said, well I haven't noticed any gap developing when I floss. He countered with, how long ago did you have it removed. I said, about 10 years. He just said, hmm, and stopped bugging me.

To be fair, the tooth farther out from the gap did slowly tilt into the gap and I had it removed about three years ago - about 50 years after the first tooth was pulled. LOL - that's why I think I will be dead before too much damage is done.

A couple of observations:

First: I think they should be more aggressive with antibiotics when they do any significant work on bone grafts and/or drilling and screwing in implant posts. My fails resulted from infections. They tried to save them but it was too late. Might have been different if I had antibiotics up front.

Second: On the opposing tooth descending into the gap or migrating sideways, sure I guess it's a thing. But when I moved to DC 43 years ago I started with a dentist who was pretty good. He bugged me to bridge a gap in the upper left, where a molar or something had been removed. Every time I saw him he would raise it. At one point I asked what the danger was and he pointed out the opposing tooth issue and migration of the surrounding teeth. I said, well I haven't noticed any gap developing when I floss. He countered with, how long ago did you have it removed. I said, about 10 years. He just said, hmm, and stopped bugging me.

To be fair, the tooth farther out from the gap did slowly tilt into the gap and I had it removed about three years ago - about 50 years after the first tooth was pulled. LOL - that's why I think I will be dead before too much damage is done.

I agree with the need to be more aggressive with infections. I believe mine failed because once the area was infected it was just too compromised to allow the bone graft to develop and to hold the implant.

In case nobody has mentioned it ... Waterpik's work much better than floss for cleaning underneath bridges and implants.

I have had a bridge for about 10 years. I still had a wisdom tooth that came in properly, so the link is from that tooth to one a few teeth over. It looks great, and outside of flossing under it, really needs no extra care that you wouldn't provide your other teeth. Mine fits so close to the gum I have never gotten any food or food particles under it.

So my answer is that I am super happy with it.

I have had a Maryland bridge for 10+ years without any problem other than flossing with a floss threader.

I was told I was not a good candidate for implants due to bone loss. Only have 1 molar left, so partial dentures for me. They are really a hassle, but better than nothing I guess.

Back
Top Bottom