What was Your Workout Today?

Harry, is that a Colt Python .44 mag?

Ha

Hah! Just a basic .22. Trying out lugging stuff around before deer season opens. Don't want to find out the pack or whatever is wrong when I am at 10k elevation in the middle of a blizzard.

100 stair repeats this a.m.

5,900 upward steps, (I don't count the downward ones).

If you have a covered outdoor space, that can be more fun than indoors, and you do not get overheated.

Ha

Covered outdoor patio yes, but not fun when its 100 degrees+. I plan to order one of these C2s sometime soon, since I'd like to do more cardio work, but don't enjoy jogging.

Hah! Just a basic .22. Trying out lugging stuff around before deer season opens. Don't want to find out the pack or whatever is wrong when I am at 10k elevation in the middle of a blizzard.

What deer rifle did you end up buying?

What deer rifle did you end up buying?

I wasd given a vintage Marlin 336 carbine in .35 Remington (dad bought it when he was 18) and I picked up a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. Effective range of about 125 yards, but that is as far as I would try and both are pretty light and easy to handle.

6 hour brew day with my BIL. This may not sound like a workout, but with a 10 gallon all grain batch it definitely is. I ache.

Most days I walk for 30 minutes, but I am holding back until the smoke is cleared. That will happen when the rains come. I need to add weights; shoveling rocks in my garden doesn't really get it. I admire you who have such healthy self-discipline!

More vigorous yardwork. I've finally weedwhacked the entire backyard all the way to the fenceline.

The coconut palm was particularly messy. I probably haven't cleaned up around it in over a year. A bunch of branches had fallen and weeds had sprouted up through them. Even worse, a couple dozen coconuts were on the ground. One of them had even sprouted and had a two-foot shoot growing up through the pile. Luckily I cleaned everything out without encountering any centipedes or rats.

The next step is going outside the fenceline (down the hill toward the gulch) to clear out the last of the California grass. That'll let the belt of yellow oleander fill in (and choke out the grass) while also encouraging the bougainvillea to spread out and splash some more color across that hillside.

Nasty 5 KM tempo run at 0530, to beat the heat. I'm not really built to run that "fast" lol
Had a great 16KM run on Sunday morning. Actually cut 5.5 minutes off the time from the previous week, not sure at all why. Really seem to be back into the Yin/Yang of one good run/one crappy run. Rinse, repeat.

DFW_M5 said:
Covered outdoor patio yes, but not fun when its 100 degrees+. I plan to order one of these C2s sometime soon, since I'd like to do more cardio work, but don't enjoy jogging.

Ha lives in Seattle...

Been in Portland for the weekend. Hiked in Washington and Forest Parks yesterday. Loved it; did several miles. Hurting today...

Last edited:
Yes, I know he does and he knows I live in Texas:D
True enough. I was thinking of winter, when the heat is on inside. Or just not thinking at all. :) I'm spending too much time at the beach with all those cute babes, my mind is shot.

Ha

Calisthenics.

Turns out that pushups hurt a little if your hands spent 90 minutes yesterday holding onto a two-stroke weedwhacker engine.

But the good news is that I finished the complete set in 35 minutes, almost five minutes faster than before. I moved through the pushup part faster instead of laying on the floor panting & whining.

7KM steady pace run this morning. Nothing special but the funny this is when I got home, my time was exactly the same as last week, to the SECOND ! How likely is that. Especially considering I run like a penguin with one gimpy leg. Brings to mind the saying that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

The not as fun workout- swim ~1000 yds, bike ~10 miles, planking to keep the back half working. Wimpy but does the job. Enables the more fun workouts, kiting day before yesterday, some newbie SUP surfin last week (I suck but it sure is fun) and some old style windsurfing mixed in (that's a Pepsi , not a Coors Light....really, I swear......)

Attachments

• uvs120907-002 (2) (800x600).jpg
    uvs120907-002 (2) (800x600).jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 8
  • uvs120828-013 (800x600).jpg
    uvs120828-013 (800x600).jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 7
  • uvs120814-002 (2) (800x600).jpg
    uvs120814-002 (2) (800x600).jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I ran my first half marathon today. It was a great event - a very nice course and beautiful weather. I'm happy that it turned out so well as this makes me want to run another one next year.

I ran my first half marathon today. It was a great event - a very nice course and beautiful weather. I'm happy that it turned out so well as this makes me want to run another one next year.
Don't leave us in suspense.....what was your time?

Hey, congrats ! I just ran my first one in May and am training for my second one in October. Good weather can make all the difference and so can a well laid out course.
From what I can tell so far, training for the second one seems easier. It is less exhausting and if you follow a similar plan as the first one (I am) it also has the comfort of being somewhat familiar.

Don't leave us in suspense.....what was your time?

I'm not speedy (although my 5K times have improved considerably since I started running a year ago). 2 hours 17 minutes. I figure a good goal for the next one may be to get under 2:15?

Hey, congrats ! I just ran my first one in May and am training for my second one in October. Good weather can make all the difference and so can a well laid out course.
From what I can tell so far, training for the second one seems easier. It is less exhausting and if you follow a similar plan as the first one (I am) it also has the comfort of being somewhat familiar.

Thanks! And that's good to know about training the second time around. I'm planning to keep up with the long runs, with a weekend run of 7, 8, or 9 miles. That way I'll be partway there when I ramp up training for my next one, probably next spring.

Dragged butt out of bed early and lifted weights before work. Walked the kids to school the long way. Time to get back on the horse with regular exercise.

Thanks! And that's good to know about training the second time around. I'm planning to keep up with the long runs, with a weekend run of 7, 8, or 9 miles. That way I'll be partway there when I ramp up training for my next one, probably next spring.

That's funny.. I was aiming for 2:15 on my first one to and ..just.. missed it. I'm using a 2:00 plan now but aiming for 2:10 in my second one. I actually laid off the running for a while after the first one and just did road/mtn biking for a while. Managed to keep up the fitness that way without risking injury.

After giving various forms of cardio exercise an honest and fair chance, it's back to the weight lifting machines for me.

Today I lifted 13 tons and will be ramping it back up towards my prior 19.2 tons in the weeks to come.

It's the journey, not the destination, right? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom