What was Your Workout Today?

I also picked up some supplements to help with calories and protein so I can hopefully gain weight faster. My starting point is 157.5lbs and 7.5% body fat. At 6'6" I can gain 30 pounds and still be very thin so I have a long way to go. Wish me luck.

Good healthy food will do more for you than the supplements. You need to eat alot while your working out and the weight will come. What have you been eating?

Thanks for posting those videos, Al. I've just started focusing on firming up my trunk muscles. My lower body gets a lot of action with my cycling and trail hiking, but the waist up needs work. I absolutely *hate* crunches, so I'll give the planking a try.

Did my standard Bowflex, stretching, and planks today.

It's been a year since I eliminated crunches from my routines. There's certainly a lot of controversy, but since my daily crunches didn't prevent a back strain, and (according to some experts) may have contributed to it, I've gone to planks and side planks. I sure don't know what's right, but the planks really seem to make a difference in the feeling of strength in my core.

Side bridge = side planks: side abdominal muscles, lower back, shoulders, arms and balance - YouTube

How To: Plank - YouTube

Good healthy food will do more for you than the supplements. You need to eat alot while your working out and the weight will come. What have you been eating?

I just decided to do this and haven't gone shopping yet. Some items i've put on a list to buy are: whole milk,wheat bread,peanut butter, butter, nutella,potatoes,peas,tuna,nuts(not sure what kind),ice cream,eggs,olive oil.

Meat is too expensive for me to buy in large quantities but i'll get some. Yesterday was my first day keeping track of calories and protein. Even with 2 shakes that totaled 820 calories and 90grams of protein, I still only ended with 2715 calories and 157g protein which are both on the low end of my goals. I felt full all day and wouldn't get close without the shakes. By the way, those shakes are good quality and have very low suger. Some use suger as a filler to get the high calories. Suggestions?

I really like this workout accountability log. When I'm on the computer in the morning, I realize that I have to get in a workout or I'll feel too guilty to post.

For the last three days, it's been alternating surfing with naps.

Today was the usual calisthenics & elliptical at home with spouse.

I can feel that my muscles are finally hardening up (no doubt due to the surfing) and I'm ready to move up a couple of weights and on the machine resistance.

Another 10K this morning. Just about killed me as it was really hot (28 deg C) and it rained last night, so it was like running in a steam bath. Accidently took a two hour nap when I got home. Weighed in, down another 4 lbs. Awesome. Realize it was mostly dehydration but whatevs. Tastes like victory to me. Went on to cut the grass, sweep the driveway, vacuum the house and move furniture in the basement. Naps must give me stamina, lol.

My workout today was loading a heavy and a semi heavy bag into a rental car then unloading the bags and dragging them to a check in counter . I then carried the semi heavy bag to a security point . I then took off my sweater , shoes , removed my liquids and slung my bag onto the conveyor for examination . I then was scanned and patted down . I gathered all my bags and headed miles away to my gate . If that is not a work out what is ?

I just decided to do this and haven't gone shopping yet. Some items i've put on a list to buy are: whole milk,wheat bread,peanut butter, butter, nutella,potatoes,peas,tuna,nuts(not sure what kind),ice cream,eggs,olive oil.

Meat is too expensive for me to buy in large quantities but i'll get some. Yesterday was my first day keeping track of calories and protein. Even with 2 shakes that totaled 820 calories and 90grams of protein, I still only ended with 2715 calories and 157g protein which are both on the low end of my goals. I felt full all day and wouldn't get close without the shakes. By the way, those shakes are good quality and have very low suger. Some use suger as a filler to get the high calories. Suggestions?

Aaron,

At your present height/weight/body fat, I don't think you are taking in enough calories. I would say to put on the lbs while working out you should be consuming more like 3200 cal and monitor your progress. If that is not enough then bump it up by another 300.

On food choices, I would say that as far as proteins are concerned the best choices are: lean cuts of beef, whey protein powder, skinless chicken, salmon/tuna/sardines, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites, turkey breast. Frankly, I'd stay away from the whole milk and go for a low fat organic. For fats: flax oil, fish oil, olive oil, almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, avocado, and salmon. For peanut butter use natural that doesn't have all the sugars. For carbs, oatmeal (steel cut), yams or sweet potatoes, lentils, pinto/black beans, vegetables (all kinds), fruit (especially berries) and whole grain breads. I would definitely stay away as much as possible from the butter, ice cream, whole milk and white potatoes and while the shakes are good, don't use them as your primary source of protein.

I know its difficult to fit in a balanced plan, but if you are not doing this already, try to eat 4 or 5 times per day versus trying to eat 3 big meals.

Eat alot and lift heavy and you will see results. Adding the lbs slowly over time will get you where you want to go, not packing on hollow calories quickly.

Aaron,

At your present height/weight/body fat, I don't think you are taking in enough calories. I would say to put on the lbs while working out you should be consuming more like 3200 cal and monitor your progress. If that is not enough then bump it up by another 300.

On food choices, I would say that as far as proteins are concerned the best choices are: lean cuts of beef, whey protein powder, skinless chicken, salmon/tuna/sardines, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites, turkey breast. Frankly, I'd stay away from the whole milk and go for a low fat organic. For fats: flax oil, fish oil, olive oil, almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, avocado, and salmon. For peanut butter use natural that doesn't have all the sugars. For carbs, oatmeal (steel cut), yams or sweet potatoes, lentils, pinto/black beans, vegetables (all kinds), fruit (especially berries) and whole grain breads. I would definitely stay away as much as possible from the butter, ice cream, whole milk and white potatoes and while the shakes are good, don't use them as your primary source of protein.

I know its difficult to fit in a balanced plan, but if you are not doing this already, try to eat 4 or 5 times per day versus trying to eat 3 big meals.

Eat alot and lift heavy and you will see results. Adding the lbs slowly over time will get you where you want to go, not packing on hollow calories quickly.

Thanks for the tips. Even at 2700 calories I felt full all day so i'm not sure how i'll up that to 3200 calories. Does a persons stomach stretch?

This is going to be difficult even now when i'm unemployed but it'll be really tough if i'm working 12-hr shifts with only 1 meal break and maybe a snack break.

Thanks for the tips. Even at 2700 calories I felt full all day so i'm not sure how i'll up that to 3200 calories. Does a persons stomach stretch?

This is going to be difficult even now when i'm unemployed but it'll be really tough if i'm working 12-hr shifts with only 1 meal break and maybe a snack break.

Can you afford an occasional pizza with everything? Seems to me that pizza has a lot of calories and might help.

Can you afford an occasional pizza with everything? Seems to me that pizza has a lot of calories and might help.

If Jack's frozen pizzas are on sale they're a good deal. I live a block away from Pizza Hut and they have a $10 any pizza deal on carryout orders so that's an option. I usually get the Meat Lovers pizza. However, I ate a frozen pizza almost every day for 2 years and lost a few pounds during that time. So, while they'll help with the calories I still have to eat a lot more than that.

Mowed the yard and stained more of the fence. Only have about 25 feet of fence to go (plus the trim work) and I'll be finished. :dance:

I've been sweating everyday for the past week and a half. :p

More surfing today.

Smaller waves but less wind and less chop means more actual surfing and less paddling.

Tomorrow: no workouts or recreation. Maybe pruning some palm trees and a little "vigorous weeding".

With a 12hr shift, I would try to do the best you can with breakfast, lunch and dinner, and maybe pack up some snack bags with nuts and dried fruits for between meals at work. Also, if you have access to a frig and microwave at work, you may have more options.

With a 12hr shift, I would try to do the best you can with breakfast, lunch and dinner, and maybe pack up some snack bags with nuts and dried fruits for between meals at work. Also, if you have access to a frig and microwave at work, you may have more options.

Unfortunetly the places that I would work rarely allow food on the production floor so you can only eat on your break(s). They do almost always have a frig and microwave though. I would probably pack as much as I can eat for my longer break then have a shake for my snack break if I get one.

I had 3330 calories yesterday to make up for the 2310 I had the day before. I did get a few extra hours of sleep the day I only had 2310 calories so that helps. Not only do I burn less calories when sleeping but to gain muscle my muscles need to rest. That's when they grow.

My workout today was the one I detailed in post #51, with 20 weight machines. The average weight is now 82 pounds, so I lifted 16.4 tons. :dance: My next goal is to keep lifting at this level for a while.

My workout today was the one I detailed in post #51, with 20 weight machines. The average weight is now 82 pounds, so I lifted 16.4 tons. :dance: My next goal is to keep lifting at this level for a while.

I think this is an interesting and good way to measure progress, total lbs lifted/workout or per week vs dwelling too much on how much you lift for each individual exercise.

Another 1.5 hour mountain bike ride this morning, interrupted with a set of chinups in a local park. Starting to notice a real difference being made by the chinups. Actually really works the core a lot, along with the shoulders/arms.

1/2 hour on the elliptical machine so far, and I will have (2) twenty to thirty minute walks with my dog later. Just got the dog about 3 weeks ago and the additional walk is a good thing for me, as I was starting to put on a little weight.

Tomorrow I will do the same but add a 1/2 of weights in there. My wife joins me on Wednesday as she works from home that day.

I think this is an interesting and good way to measure progress, total lbs lifted/workout or per week vs dwelling too much on how much you lift for each individual exercise.

Surprisingly, I got the idea from a runner (who doesn't lift weights) on a weight loss forum. It does help one to look at the big picture. :)

Currently I am keeping up with my summer workout regimen:
  • Early morning cycling in the park 2 days a week - 6 miles
  • Gilda Total Body Sculpt 2 days a week - 23 mins combo cardio and strength training. Very focused and intense. Lots of lunges.
  • Rowing machine and yoga stretching 2 days a week - I don't row that far yet as I have to be careful with my knees: 15 mins, 2200 meters. But I'm usually rockin at 140+ pulse rate!
  • Supplemental weight training - core and upper body 2 days a week. Alternate back-shoulders-core one week and chest-arms-core the next. This is usually combined with the cycling day.

I exercise six days a week, 1 day off.

The only problem with regularly working out, is that you may feel stronger, but at least one set of muscles is sore most days!!!

Lifted today, and started back running again yesterday. I had a goal a year ago to do cardio every day, and I missed 6 days of cardio from June 1, 2011 to June 1, 2012. But in doing all the cardio, I didn't do concentrated weight workouts for a year. I've seen no fitness improvement over the last 4 months. Hopefully 2 days of weights a week in lieu of cardio now will help.

I did taekwondo last night and the usual calisthenics/cardio this morning, but somewhere over the weekend I picked up a wicked cold. I can't decide whether to persevere through it or take a break, but I think my body's about to make the decision for me. I keep waking up sicker.

At the rate this is going, by tomorrow night my head will be filled with snot and I'll be unable to do spinning hook kicks. First taekwondo class I've missed in three months.

I absolutely have to keep a workout log. I really look forward to filling that thing out when I stagger back to the house after some exercise.

I did taekwondo last night and the usual calisthenics/cardio this morning, but somewhere over the weekend I picked up a wicked cold. I can't decide whether to persevere through it or take a break, but I think my body's about to make the decision for me. I keep waking up sicker.

At the rate this is going, by tomorrow night my head will be filled with snot and I'll be unable to do spinning hook kicks. First taekwondo class I've missed in three months.

I absolutely have to keep a workout log. I really look forward to filling that thing out when I stagger back to the house after some exercise.

Being sick is miserable! We have all been there and it's no fun. Take care of yourself so you can get back to your regular workout schedule soon.

I keep a workout log on my iPhone with the number of pounds lifted on each machine.

Maybe this is the weight you were intended to be. Why do you want to gain weight?

Ha

Still lifting the same weights, 16.4 tons, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It is getting a little easier but I'm not ready to increase the weights further quite yet. I'll know when the time is right.

Back
Top Bottom