What's your favorite NON-healthy meal or snack?

An unhealthy obsession for a healthy food?

Here is a rant about the perfect food. I’ve had hot wings and cold wings; dry wings and wet
wings; wings in a box and wings from hens and cocks; wings fried, baked, grilled, boiled,
broiled, nuked, hot smoked and cold smoked; naked wings and smothered wings; wings in Asia,
Europe, and the Americas; brined wings and marinated wings; rubbed wings and dusted wings;
wings for breakfast, dinner, and lunch; wings for starters, mains, and desserts; wings from birds
that walked and wings from birds that flew. Wings on a ferry and wings served by a fairy.
I’ve had wings.
For God so loved mankind that he He placed a morsel of meat on a tiny skewer made of bone,
and, pleased with his work, called this creation The Wing. My calling is to scour the earth on a
sojourn of poultry on a pick.
I’m going to reflect for a few moments on one of my favorite (not to be confused with perfect)
construction methods; and, yes, it is safe to try this at home.
I like to start with a brined wing. So that it is plumper and juicier in the end. I don’t get too fancy
with flavoring brines - nothing against that, I just tackle the flavor aspect from other angles.
Refrigerating an hour or so in a plastic bag (in a bowl) suffices nicely.
While the wings are marinating, I get my Smokey Joe grill ready to go. I do prefer to smoke the
wings. This takes longer, but imparts an intense smoky flavor that’s worth the extra love. BTW -
If you can get your grill - - - any kind, even (horrified gasp) a gas grill to hold a steady 225 to 250
(F) temperature range, you can ipmart a decent smoke, and subsequent flavor, to your wings. I
can already hear the howls of sacrilege from the smoker purist wing (pun intended) of the
man-fire-food community who would want me racked for such heresy, and here is my response.
Bite Me.
A quicker method is to grill the wings, but the trade off (besides flavor) is that you have to
manage flare ups. While a charred wing is delightful, a grease-burnt one is ready for the
garbage pail.
I do use fruit wood chips soaked and wrapped in aluminum foil as a means to impart special
flavor. I add these throughout the smoking process. Additional charcoal (preferably lump) may
need to be added. These tasks need to be prepared ahead and executed quickly so heat can be
maintained as mentioned above (225-250 F). If you let your temp wander around, you’ll not
succeed in getting good, if any, smoke to the wings. Smoking is all about slow and steady​.
A quick summary so far. Brine, Heat, Smoke, Flavor. Got it?
While the wings are doing their transformational magic with heat, I make my sauces or buy them
and doctor them up to my liking. I use many varieties, but this one is high on my list of little effort
and great flavor. I start with Franks brand and may tweak it with a little seasoning,
worcestershire sauce, etc. Now here is my little twist that is a bit of a game changer. I add a
good bit of garlic powder to my sauce (like 1-2 tablespoons per cup of sauce). I stir that in, and if
I’ve added enough, it should form a paste in about 10-15 minutes that is about the consistency
of ketchup - Oh Yeah! My affair with garlic began over twenty years ago in Korea, where I
learned of it’s mystical power. Since then, I have tested vampire free while the flavor of my
cooking has improved dramatically.
When the wings have reached an internal temp of 160-165, I pull them, dip them individually in
the sauce and return them to indirect heat. This will draw the moisture out of the sauce,
providing a wing that has, for me, great flavor, without the sloppiness of the usual bathed /
tossed wing. If I want another level of flavor, I will repeat the saucing and drying step a second
time.
So this is basically a 2-3 three hour process for a handful of wings, and many unlearned souls
have questioned the wisdom of such a tedious process. I have a multi-part answer; I live in the
southern US and can cook outside year round (where cooking should be done), my patio is my
second man cave including a flat screen HDTV, I work adult beverages and friends into the
process (including using adult beverages for brines, marinades, and "medicinal dispensation"),
and last, if you must question, you just don’t understand (and I can’t learn it for you). :LOL:

I eat alot of "unhealthy" stuff but I have to say barbacoa and tripa tacos are probably the most unhealthy food I eat.

Smashburger with Blue Cheese and grilled onions, sweet potato fries with Ranch dressing and a chocolate Haagen-Daz milkshake. Whenever I have to make a trip over the big hill to the Front Range.

Wood fired pizza with fresh mozzarella (cooked on the BGE)
A cold beer or 3
Homemade Ice cream for dessert

The pizza and ice cream cause instant weight gain and the beer makes my head hurt. :facepalm:

FN

I love a good bacon cheeseburger and my town is full of great burger places. I have one 3 or 4 times a month but could eat them almost every day. For snacking it's potato chips.

Camarones Costa Azul

Just had them today. Shrimp stuffed with cheese and dry cured ham, wrapped with bacon and deep fried. Yum. Comes with rice, beans and fries.

The healthy news is I eat half the shrimp and all the rice and beans and take the other half of the shrimp and all the fries home and have it for supper.

I'm looking forward to supper. Six minutes in the toaster oven and it's almost as good as lunch - :)

Onion rings - the real ones, hand cut, sweet and lightly coated with a tempura style batter and a nut brown ale.

And for dessert - great handfuls of caramel corn and more nut brown ale :)

Gotta go with some fine German food.

220px-Wiener-Schnitzel02.jpg

Like a platter sized weiner schnitzel and some fried latkes or spaetzle all drenched with some nice fatty gravy and a big liter of lager.

Pizza. After that, it would be pizza. And after that, it would be.....pizza.

Juicy Lucy with blue cheese, plus fries with dip. Or Poutine!
Or a big bag of cheese popcorn. Yes, I have called that a meal.

My first thought was Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes with Green Beans. I love my meat loaf made with ground beef and ground pork and cheese with a sweet tomato sauce on top. Then I started laughing, as I am sitting here eating Doritos and drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I love ice cream too. Lots of unhealthy food!

Today I picked up a qtr pounder with cheese and fries on the way down to the coast. Pretty tasty traveling food. My dog agrees with me. But there are so many non healthy foods I like......

Buster Bar from Dairy Queen. Thaw for 5 mins before eating.

Recently it's been the Cheesy Crab Dip at the Crusty Crab in Greenbackville Va, followed by some entrée (usually the fried Seafood Platter), followed by the warm homemade blueberry pie a la mode. I'm a sybarite, but even for me this is decadent.

Fried Chicken, Mashed potatoes with gravy and a biscuit or two.

Basically this breaks every rule I usually eat by. Its fried and the skin is on, its real potatoes, not cauliflower, its gravy (enough said), and biscuits where we avoid all bread.

Ben and Jerry's dairy-free ice cream (any flavor with chocolate) with chocolate syrup. Vegan and delicious....but definitely not healthy.

A lunch I used to eat with a guy I ate with for years. He was pre-diabetic and his DW was a RD. She tried to manage his eating remotely.

We'd both get BLTs(extra bacon) with cheese and a side of onion rings. Sometimes I'd add a fried egg in top!

He'd tell his DW he had a vegetable platter with bacon for lunch. 😁

Juicy Lucy with blue cheese, plus fries with dip. Or Poutine!
Or a big bag of cheese popcorn. Yes, I have called that a meal.

yes, but where do you get your jucy lucy? Matt's, blue door, or the nook?

I live in New Orleans, and you want me to pick a favorite non-healthy dish? :LOL:

I am not sure which New Orleans dish is my favorite but I'd love to try them all today and get back to you. Unfortunately my waistline won't let me do that.

Meanwhile I guess I'll go with Mandina's Shrimp Creole. Or, maybe Trout Meuniere (although my favorite restaurant for that has been gone since Katrina). One must contemplate the good old standard Shrimp Po'Boy, but even better, how about Chicken Breast Parmesan or OMG, let's not forget Chicken Piccata.

But I forgot desserts, since I limit myself to one each year. The Banana Blueberry Pie at Impastato's has to be my favorite dessert. I love tiramisu but there is something amazing about that banana blueberry pie.

For comfort food, nothing beats a good seafood gumbo.

You know, it occurred to me that I hate it when people are asked for their favorite (something), and they come up with 4789875 answers. And yet here, I did that myself! Grrr.

So, I will step up to the plate, so to speak :D , and choose just ONE. My absolute all time favorite is the Banana Blueberry Pie at Impastato's restaurant.

If I must choose one item, it must be pasta. There’s simply so much you can do with it. However, I have learnt to make my own pasta, and when I do, I roll it out very thin to make noodles or ravioli. The process is enjoyable and the lightness of the pasta means you eat less per portion and it is SO GOOD!

Back
Top Bottom