When can I compare 2022 Medicare plans?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I recently got the notices of a small increase for our Plan G premiums for 2022, small enough that I won't look into changes.

Then I also got the notices that the Part D coverage will go from $20/month to over $60/month. But I'm finding info that the average increase is expected to be only ~ 5%.

But so far, I have not found a way to compare 2022 plans, everything takes me to the current plans. FYI, my routine prescriptions are all cheap generics, so this is mainly for insurance against an unexpected need for some other expensive drug.

Do I have to wait until Oct 15th for open enrollment to find out?

TIA - ERD50

I think Part D open enrollment normally runs from from October 15 through December 7 each year.

Yes, you probably have to wait until Oct 15 to know all your options.

Most info about the 2022 changes to Medicare will be out next week. I expect you could see 2022 Medigap plans on Medicare.gov at that point.

Most info about the 2022 changes to Medicare will be out next week. I expect you could see 2022 Medigap plans on Medicare.gov at that point.

There is no real information about medigap on medicare.gov - it just says which plans exist.

DH received a notice a couple of weeks ago that his part D plan is going DOWN in price for 2022. Dropping from $7.30 to $6.90 a month. I don’t know what Aetna is up to, but that’s OK!

I started getting marketing materials in the mail this week--including continuing my current AARP-United Healthcare Plan F.

Might take some time to get the info together and placed on the Medicare.gov computer system zip code by zip code. It's got to be terribly complicated.

There is no real information about medigap on medicare.gov - it just says which plans exist.
Right. The fall Medicare Open Enrollment extravaganza is all about Medicare Advantage (MA) plans, and Part D drug plans.

I also received notice that my part d rx was going down slightly. October 1, they will have the list of covered medications.

I also received notice that my part d rx was going down slightly. October 1, they will have the list of covered medications.

(OP here) Well, I've read that the average Part D increase is ~ 5%, so my over 240% increase (from $20 to $68.30) is going to have to be offset by a lot of other people getting reductions?

What's up with WellCare (WellCare Medicare Rx Select (PDP) )?

edit/add - looking at this, I just noticed my current plan is named "WellCare Medicare Rx Select (PDP)", but my comparison document with the price increase refers to "WellCare Medicare Rx Value Plus (PDP)". OK, it does reference this plan name current/new on the front page, so I guess it is just a name change, not an attempt to move me from one plan to another?

-ERD50

Last edited:
It varies by location too. I have the same plan that everyone says is decreasing. Here it is increasing and there is now a minimal copay ( 1 dollar) for the meds that used to be “free”.

What's up with WellCare (WellCare Medicare Rx Select (PDP) )?

edit/add - looking at this, I just noticed my current plan is named "WellCare Medicare Rx Select (PDP)", but my comparison document with the price increase refers to "WellCare Medicare Rx Value Plus (PDP)". OK, it does reference this plan name current/new on the front page, so I guess it is just a name change, not an attempt to move me from one plan to another?

-ERD50
When Wellcare's website is updated with the new for-2022, you should look it all over, all of their plans. They usually have a grid and can probably rule out many of their plans right away, and find one suitable.
I'm in Wellcare Wellness Rx, and the 2020 cost was $13.x a month for my area. Last fall, when they announced the 2021 costs, it went to $17.90. I didn't do anything, left it ride, but figured in fall of 2021 I better look at switching for 2022, expecting that there would be a big raise... But a couple days ago in the mail, I got the "Important Plan Information" packet from them. They are "changing" the name from Wellcare Wellness Rx, to Wellcare Value Script. Previously, there was a Wellcare Value Script, but I rejected it for not being very "value".

But wait, there's more :) My cost will drop from $17.90/mo. to $12.90/mo.!
So far, the only change I see in the mailed info is that the Tier 3 Preferred Brand Drugs using a preferred cost sharing (via their preferred pharmacies, won't find out who THEY all are till after the start of open enrollment) added $2 to the existing $40 copay, Tier 4 Non-Preferred Drugs with preferred cost sharing added 1%, will be 47% instead of 46%. The start of the coverage gap increases from $4,130 to $4,430 of total drug costs.

For changes in the Coverage Gap stage, and the following Catastrophic Coverage Stages, it says to look at Chapter 4, Sections 6 and 7, of my Evidence of Coverage. I suspect that will be a new document, I'll need to see it when it's out. So when all info is available, I need to look at that, plus who the preferred pharmacies will be (last time they dropped most free-standing pharmacies like CVS, and added grocery-store pharmacies, I think these things are renegotiated each year). And I guess I should guess at a few drugs and run them through the Medicare.gov site.

Last fall, I had to be patient, Wellcare did not have it all set up to where I had enough info to make a decision, until maybe week 3 of Open Enrollment on Medicare.gov. Some of the results in the interim were wild and nonsensical! I was using Shingrix as an example then, it was $800 a dose and pharmacies were all messed up in the beginning! It settled down in time to who the new pharmacies would be for preferred, and Shingrix dropped to ~$165 a dose!

So my suggestion on Open Enrollment is... Make no decisions and make no sign-ups in the beginning of the period!

Last edited:
FYI, my routine prescriptions are all cheap generics, so this is mainly for insurance against an unexpected need for some other expensive drug.

This is one of my small pet peeves when choosing a Plan D.

Most of the calculators require a person to enter all their prescriptions, then they kick out a list plans with estimated total yearly expenses for prescription drugs. But, the plans vary in how they classify drugs for reimbursement, and I have no idea what that unexpected, very expensive drug may be. So it never gets entered into the calculator. It seems like a roll of the dice.

I guess it's back to trying to fix my time machine. :D

Last edited:
This is one of my small pet peeves when choosing a Plan D.

Most of the calculators require a person to enter all their prescriptions, then they kick out a list plans with estimated total yearly expenses for prescription drugs. But, the plans vary in how they classify drugs for reimbursement, and I have no idea what that unexpected, very expensive drug may be. So it never gets entered into the calculator. It seems like a roll of the dice.

I guess it's back to trying to fix my time machine. :D
But, on the other hand, that one unexpected drug might be for one-time only. This is where you take your chances, insurance can't cover every unforeseen event. Well it could, but it would be obscenely expensive.

And the annual dance around cost of drugs happens with Medicare Advantage plans too. Best you can do is determine what tier your current meds fall in, then check each plan for co-pay amounts, drug deductible amounts to figure a total out of pocket vs. cost of the plan.

- Rita

DH received a notice a couple of weeks ago that his part D plan is going DOWN in price for 2022. Dropping from $7.30 to $6.90 a month. I don’t know what Aetna is up to, but that’s OK!

They are will be charging a copay for low grade generics in 2022 for which there was a $0 copay this year. :(

Today we received the notice from my husband's Part D plan that the premium is going up by more than 50%. We also received the Medicare and You 2022 book which had a list at the back of all of the Part D providers in our state. Premiums range from $6.90 to $104.20. We'll wait until open enrollment to see which company will be best for his prescriptions. This will be his third year with a Part D plan and probably the third different plan.

So it's my understanding that if you keep a cheap Plan D plan in place just-in-case, and find out at some future date that you require an expensive drug for a long period of time, you can switch plans w/o underwriting, correct?

So at that point (during open enrollment), you can try to find a plan that covers your specific drug at the best price - you'll pay more, but it should work out considering the circumstances.

Do I have that right?

-ERD50

So it's my understanding that if you keep a cheap Plan D plan in place just-in-case, and find out at some future date that you require an expensive drug for a long period of time, you can switch plans w/o underwriting, correct?

So at that point (during open enrollment), you can try to find a plan that covers your specific drug at the best price - you'll pay more, but it should work out considering the circumstances.

Do I have that right?

-ERD50
Yup, you have it right.

First shot across the bow from WellCare in the mail today. No doubt an attempt to pre-empt shopping the plan. I have Value Script at $15.20 a month. Same plan with the same coverage is dropping to $10.90. Deductible, which is standard, is going from $445 to $480. Let the game begin!

I previewed the Part D plans today and my Aetna Silver Script plan is still the cheapest but the premium has gone up a bit and now my generics that were free now cost $1.

the BCBS plans in my area were available today online.

Back
Top Bottom