Who eats liver?

I love liver. Liver and onions, fried chicken livers, and the aforementioned braunschweiger. Need to pick a roll of that up as I haven't had it in awhile and it's on sale at krogers right now. Most restaurants we go to don't have liver, but if I see it I usually order it. Don't cook liver at home other than grilled chicken livers wrapped in bacon. Yum.

I love liver.

Duck & Goose only por favor. Lightly floured and sauteed in butter and eaten hot right out of the pan after I've cooked them.

Otherwise, pass.

We like fried livers from the Yard Birds over Beef.

Along with the rest of the Chicken fried up and mashed potatoes and gravy, Field/Cream Pea's and Pepper Sauce, sliced Tomatoes, Raw Onions, Serrano Peppers, Greens, all washed down with fresh Brewed Tea

This thread is making me hungry :LOL:

When my son was young he and I would go fishing every weekend. For lunch we’d stop at a Popeye’s which had a buffet. Him and I would devour the fried chicken liver!
Growing up my mom would wrap chicken livers in bacon and cook them in a cast iron dutch oven, delicious. But since my DW won’t touch liver I have to get it at a diner. Occasionally I’ll pick up fried chicken livers. Or there is a local diner in Montrose that has a great plate of beef liver and onions. Or a good local boudin for a quick snack.
Liver, hate it or love it, ain’t no in between.
The only liver my DW will eat is in dirty rice.
Darnit, yall got me hungry. Guess I'll pick up some fried chicken livers for lunch today.

I recently discovered Braunschweiger by the brand of John Morrell. Made with pork liver and pork. The taste is very mild. It should be on the shelf at your local grocery store. There's another brand which costs more, but I don't like the taste as much.

It comes in a 1-lb log. I eat it like pâté, spread on toast, accompanied by cornichons, black olives, mustard. Yummy!

+1 for Braunschweiger liver wurst. We buy liverwurst at a German deli. Love it on pretzels or crusty bread with butter, mustard, and pickles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up we had my Mom's chopped liver all the time. It was like a pate made from chicken livers. Broil chicken livers and run them through a meat grinder with sautéed onions and hard boiled eggs. Mix it up with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. My Hungarian grandmother used to use chicken schmaltz instead of mayo, but we were too modern for that!

I made it a few times as an adult and haven't made it in a long time.

For the braunschweiger fans, Aldi has a very good one.

Last edited:
I never cared much for a slab of liver and onions on the dinner plate. However, I do like the occasional fried chicken livers (and gizzards) dinner. It's too much trouble and clean-up to fry anything at home so they would have to be at a restaurant that is good at making chicken livers but I will pass on any gravy.

Cheers!

I like liver in small to medium quantities. I am living in Thailand which has great street food. One of the many food selections is grilled liver which I think is chicken liver because it often available with the grilled chicken. I had some for breakfast just the other day along with some sticky rice.

liver and onions? no thanks. but love chopped liver or liver pate. had foie gras in france, it was delicious.

Was forced to try it once as a teen, literally gagged on it. Never again.

Last edited:
I grew up on liver, both beef (breaded/fried and with onions) and chicken. Loved it since I can remember and used to beg for my dad to make it, but he'd only do it occasionally since it's so high in fat/cholesterol.

I don't like cooking it at home as it's so involved and messy (have to poke the chicken livers or the POP and spread hot oil everywhere, but also lots of mess in general), but I have restaurants in the area that make decent versions of both. I do like making dirty rice at home with chopped livers in there since it's easy, but still love the breaded/fried versions.

I eat liver of some kind at least once a month now since I have habitually low iron and I've recently discovered eating chicken livers with a bit of hot sauce/red pepper is lovely.

Also that orange tube of braunschweiger is sold at most groceries under a store brand label, not just John Morrel; it's the exact same one if you see that distinctive orange. I've discovered the larger role of bruns at Aldi is the same too. I had this frequently as kid and also still love it.

There is a Germain Deli nearby, which is where I get my once a year liverwurst. Fresh made, the old world style. Get a slice or two of pickle and pimento loaf there, too!
DH looks at me like I am crazy. :)
He does not like either.

There is a German Deli nearby, which is where I get my once a year liverwurst. Fresh made, the old world style. Get a slice or two of pickle and pimento loaf there, too!
DH looks at me like I am crazy. :)
He does not like either.

:LOL:
Made me think of my own once a year treat. We go to the local Oktoberfest street festival and that's the only time I'm allowed to indulge in one of my favorite sandwiches. A big thick slab of Limburger cheese with a slice of raw onion on dark rye bread. I can have it because it's outdoors, as long as I stay a few feet away from DW while I'm enjoying it.

:LOL:
Made me think of my own once a year treat. We go to the local Oktoberfest street festival and that's the only time I'm allowed to indulge in one of my favorite sandwiches. A big thick slab of Limburger cheese with a slice of raw onion on dark rye bread. I can have it because it's outdoors, as long as I stay a few feet away from DW while I'm enjoying it.

Agree! Good stuff. A lot of people can't get past the smell to even try it.

Every once in a while when I was growing up, Mom used to cook liver and onions. So I grew to like it, and even used to cook it myself every so often until about 10 years ago. It was relatively cheap meat and rich in iron. I used to be able to find it "fresh" in those pint-sized plastic containers. No more. These days my grocery stores only sell it in individual frozen slices wrapped in plastic.

Last edited:
Growing up I was sometimes given the choice of having liver for dinner or going hungry, and occasionally I chose going hungry. I haven't eaten liver since the late 1960's.

My mother made us braunschweiger sandwiches for lunch. Because it looked raw she thought she had to cook it. She would fry slices until black and crunchy. We would actually look forward to it. But man did it make the house stink!

Every once in a while when I was growing up, Mom used to cook liver and onions. So I grew to like it, and even used to cook it myself every so often until about 10 years ago. It was relatively cheap meat and rich in iron. I used to be able to find it "fresh" in those pint-sized plastic containers. No more. These days my grocery stores only sell it in individual frozen slices wrapped in plastic.

A year ago, I suddenly wanted to make terrine with chicken liver. Went to look for it at Walmart, but there was none. The manager of the meat section happened to walk by, and I asked him about availability. He said ever since COVID, he had not been shipped any. He did not offer any reason.

We still have the plastic tubs of chicken livers at the grocery. Great catfish bait - :)

Back
Top Bottom