Worry

Keeping insurance policies up to date, hard copies filed and electronic copies saved to my phone.
Putting household bills onto a spike file in date order and paying by the due date.
Our Wills are updated from time to time and the kids have copies and know where to find the originals.
Maintaining a healthy diet, walking daily.
I don't smoke and only drink alcohol occasionally.
All our life is now electronic so I handle it all. Once in a while things go awry but I don't worry about it. It gets sorted out. I schedule all payments ahead of time and I set a tickler to ensure that the accounts have money to cover them all. Sometimes I have too much cash to cover to reduce the concerns/activities.

I worry about the health of my loved ones. Son had testicular cancer. Good friend has esophageal cancer. But I keep it in check.

I worried about a big test in college, some work stuff, family health and the 2008/2009 market crash. Overall I'm not a big worry, certainly not normal daily stuff.

The essence of sorrow is to desire that which cannot come to pass...

For me, some worry is healthy, if it is something I know I can influence. Worrying about how I would do in college and if I would graduate kept me motivated to do the best I could in my classes. Worrying about whether I would contribute enough to keep my job at Megacorp - as I never took it for granted - kept me motivated to do the best I could at work. Worrying about having enough money if I was laid off kept me motivated to be a good steward with finances. Ultimately when a worry came up, my thought was "is there anything I can do to address it?" I am very fortunate in how my parents that me to not let worries paralyze me.

Just a comment on worry, humans are know for misjudging risk How Big a Threat Do Terrorists Pose to Americans? - The Big Picture In the Uk the recent fire has apparently killed twice as many folks as the 3 terrorist attacks combined. Note the numbers that americans have a 1 in 98 lifetime chance of suicide, but only a 1 in 249 chance of murder. Since telling bad news is the way the media gets eyes on the adds which is why the media exist, we only hear the bad news.
This is the "If it bleeds,it leads" news of the day. We recently had a fatal plan crash here and it was ll over the news. Only the pilot died, unfortunately. But the number of daily traffic deaths in the greater LA area get hardly a mention.
The one sort of amusing thing that came out of the crash was a news reader at the site saying they had not found the black box or the registration numbers.
It was an old taildragger, that would never had a flight recorder, and worse, the registration numbers were painted on both sides of the fuselage a foot high!

I was worried this thread might be provoking in some way, and am relieved to see there is nothing new to worry about.

I worry about a bunch of stuff, - what if x happens, will "Y" be mad at me for "z" , etc.
Look on the bright side all my worries will be gone one day. :D

I do most of the worrying and DW just lets stuff happen. If not for me, no planning would have been done and we would probably not have FIREd. Still, I envy her calm and collected demeanor. I guess each family needs one worrier - and I'm it. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom