Yeah, I see the problem-- you're gettin' old.

Say, Nords, at the risk of stating the obvious, perhaps a discussion with a 80 year old active practitioner of your favorite martial art could be very informative.

Personally, I do not know any Tae Kwon Do practitioners in their seventies or eighties.
My Ju Jutsu teacher was fairly active until age 80, though he stopped taking falls around age 68. He was still pretty fast at 75 though what he lacked in speed, was more than made up for by skill, cunning, and pure understaning (wakarimasu) of what was about to be launched against him. Before it was launched.

Just as an aside. We used to have visitors of all kinds, often they would watch and then say, what if I do XYZ? Our inside joke was: "what if" always hurts. Maximally, if the one posing the "what if" did not know how to take a fall.

Personally at my current age of a hair short of official card carrying geezerhood (65), still take falls and enjoy the game. Recovery is a bit longer than at 50 but not annoyingly.

Cheers.

I cited a source in post #11 on this thread about "vitamin I" and some of the cautions about its overuse by athletes.
Yeah, ibuprofen can shut down the kidneys, causing you to stop processing food and drink and creating a salt/electrolyte shortage. It (hyponatremia) can actually be fatal, but really only for an endurance event like a marathon, or more likely a longer event like an Ironman tri or ultramarathon. I wouldn't take them regularly, but if you're not sweating for 4+ hours, it'll probably be ok, and the OP did get his doc's take on it.

... I wouldn't take them regularly, but if you're not sweating for 4+ hours, it'll probably be ok, and the OP did get his doc's take on it.

Completely agree--just pointing out a source that listed some of the possible problems from even the "safe" nsaids.

What can I do? I can keep skills sharp, stay flexible, and judge myself from how well I performed against my own standards for myself, and feel good about that.
The new standard is whether I am happy with my performance, and am I feeling a 'healthy' sore afterward. As for instructors, I demand the latitude in class to do what I must to keep myself healthy. Geezer reps? nah, just keeping myself healthy. The young bull doesn't have the feedback of strain that my body gives me, he just won't understand. I won't make excuses but I may have to draw lines. From a business standpoint, you represent what could be a large market for your school. It may be in your instuctor's best interest to learn from you on how to train older students.
Say, Nords, at the risk of stating the obvious, perhaps a discussion with a 80 year old active practitioner of your favorite martial art could be very informative.
Oh, I pay my dues annually and in advance. I'm a valued member of the dojang.

I'm going to use some of your words when I talk with the instructors. But frankly most of the older students quit taekwondo in their early 40s, and that's when I was just getting started. I've only met one older than me (and he's from Maui) and read about one other on Oahu. Frankly, the older guys from USA Taekwondo (coming from the Mainland) have moved up to judging & refereeing and no longer train or spar. Many have just let themselves go to pot bellies. Of course some of that could be injuries, but I'd think they could still eventually wrestle their weight back under control.

The good news is that I'm one of the most flexible martial artists in the dojang. And because I no longer have speed or raw power on my side, I'm very sneaky.

Part of my conversation will be figuring out what the other geezer martial artists are moving to. I hope it's better than tai chi.

For me, the REAL worry about getting old lies more in the mental aspects.
Have begun a journal of sorts dealing with the gradual onset of dementia.
One strange thing that I notice... Whenever I voice concerns about this to persons of my age group, the invariable answer is "You're fine... We all forget"... Conclusion:confused: There are an awful lot of folks out there who see a new "normal".
Ah, I've done quite a bit of reading on that.

I don't know if you've already read "Where Did I Leave My Glasses?", but it really helps sort out the difference between a cluttered memory and early dementia symptoms. Cognition may be declining, but many times the issue is not paying attention (after doing something about 10,000 times over the last decade) or just not using a skill frequently enough.

Two other popular early indicators (not necessarily confirmation but certainly great party tricks) are drawing an analog clock (with the hands pointing to a specified time) and spelling words backward.

I highly recommend subscribing to Bob DeMarco's Alzheimer's Reading Room blog and reading it for a few months. Bob has a very distinctive personality that's not for everyone, and he's not a medical professional, but he cared for his mother for over eight years. His observations (confirmed with thousands of other caregivers) are fundamentally changing the way that the medical community views the condition. He's very familiar with symptoms that seem like dementia but are really vitamin B deficiencies, or urinary tract infections, or clinical depression. If nothing else, reading his thoughts will make you much more comfortable and relaxed around Alzheimer's patients because you'll be able to view the world through their eyes.

After reading Bob's material for a couple months, you may find yourself deciding that euthanasia is not necessarily the best approach. When I see my father enjoying a good jazz pianist performance or a Reuben sandwich or just the sunset and the weather, it makes me realize that his life may still be worth living.

If you really want to amuse yourself, practice the Mini-mental State Exam (MMSE) until you think you can fake it. Someday your rehearsal will really throw your doc off the diagnosis...

You asked what you are missing. I think you are missing that ibuprofen is dangerous for your liver and your health.
Ibuprofein is bad for the stomach.
I cited a source in post #11 on this thread about "vitamin I" and some of the cautions about its overuse by athletes.
Yeah, ibuprofen can shut down the kidneys, causing you to stop processing food and drink and creating a salt/electrolyte shortage. It (hyponatremia) can actually be fatal, but really only for an endurance event like a marathon, or more likely a longer event like an Ironman tri or ultramarathon. I wouldn't take them regularly, but if you're not sweating for 4+ hours, it'll probably be ok, and the OP did get his doc's take on it.
Completely agree--just pointing out a source that listed some of the possible problems from even the "safe" nsaids.
All of your observations are applicable for some users, but not for all users. Not even for the majority. The tone of a blanket admonition is a little annoying because for years I suffered in pain (e.g., waking up at night, or afraid to move quickly) just because I was scared of a little brown pill. Living with pain is far worse than a proper regimen of ibuprofen.

My orthopedic surgeon says that he always starts with ibuprofen because it's the least likely to cause problems. He also had a list of over 20 more powerful medications (I never got further than naprosen) to use when ibuprofen stopped working.

Taken with food & hydration, ibuprofen can be safely used by the majority. It's limited by body weight (mine is 800mg for 180 pounds, up to 3x/day). As RB points out you don't take it before exertion, only after the fact. I don't smoke, I no longer drink alcohol, I hydrate extremely well, and my only other med is a daily antihistamine. I don't have any other liver or kidney risk factors (as far as I know) so gastric bleeding is the worst situation I'm likely to encounter.

Now if they made chocolate-flavored ibuprofen, then I'd quickly develop a psychological addiction problem.

Ibuprofen may be dangerous for some of you, but I bet your orthopedic surgeon has a really long list of alternatives too. Let me know what works especially well for you...

O
My orthopedic surgeon says that he always starts with ibuprofen because it's the least likely to cause problems. He also had a list of over 20 more powerful medications (I never got further than naprosen) to use when ibuprofen stopped working.

Taken with food & hydration, ibuprofen can be safely used by the majority. It's limited by body weight (mine is 800mg for 180 pounds, up to 3x/day). As RB points out you don't take it before exertion, only after the fact. I don't smoke, I no longer drink alcohol, I hydrate extremely well, and my only other med is a daily antihistamine. I don't have any other liver or kidney risk factors (as far as I know) so gastric bleeding is the worst situation I'm likely to encounter.

Now if they made chocolate-flavored ibuprofen, then I'd quickly develop a psychological addiction problem.

Ibuprofen may be dangerous for some of you, but I bet your orthopedic surgeon has a really long list of alternatives too. Let me know what works especially well for you...

Same observations here.

Under direction of my foot doc I ended up taking 440mg of naproxen morning and evening for a full 3 months during our hiking vacation this year to finally control the flames of my plantar faciitis.

Now I use it intermittently should a flare up start, like this week :mad:

But a week of use usually works great. I use ibuprofein occasionally for other joint pain, mostly my back, but not if I'm on naproxen.

I'm no doctor, but I believe acetaminophen aka Tylenol is dangerous for your liver. Ibuprofen aka Advil or Motrin not so much...
+1

Ibuprofein is bad for the stomach.

For some folks (e.g those with IBS) NSAIDs are not an option.

The risks of liver damage from acetaminophen/paracetamol can be reduced/minimized by:

1. Following the newer dosage recommendations:
No more than 1000 mg in any 26 hr. period
No more than 3000 mg in any 24 hr. period
No more than 2600 mg in any 24 hr. period if taken long term (more than 10 days)
2. Taking N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) a powerful antioxidant that, among other uses, can protect the liver and kidneys.

And FWIW...
A new study from American Cancer Society researchers finds use of 30 tablets a month or more of acetaminophen for five or more years was associated with an estimated 38% lower risk of prostate cancer.
Long-term, regular acetaminophen use may be associated with lower prostate cancer risk

I am not a doctor.... Yadda, yadda, yadda....

Tyro

Last edited:
Acetaminophen does not work for me at all. Didn't get much if any benefit from naproxen either. Sticking with the occasional generic ibuprofen.

Turning 65 this year has not been good to me. I retired in March and it has been one thing right after another with my health. Getting old is not for whips. If anyone can get out of the workforce in the early 50's I highly suggest you do while you are able to do things you want. I overworked my body for almost 30 years doing hard manual work. It paid good but now I am not sure it was all worth it. I just cannot stand it that I cannot do what I once was able to but that I have to accept. I once thought I had found the fountain of youth with Celebrex until it almost killed me. I cannot take any of that type medicine again. One word, Ulcer. I think I will start some sort of exercises trend to build my body back if thats possible. Who knows. oldtrig

Last edited:
Oldtrig, good idea to try to exercise and build your body back. I am 64 and working out has been hard to do, but very helpful, too. I will never be as strong as I was in my 20's, but I am stronger than I was in 2009, when I retired.

We go to the gym 3 afternoons a week, and there are a lot of retired people there our age and older when we are there, all trying to get stronger and healthier I think. Some in their 80's are amazing and inspire me to work harder at it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that background oldtrig. It is definitely not too late to begin an exercise regime, and exercise will almost certainly improve your health. Just be sure to start slow and build up, and don't be hesitant to ask advice from your doctor if you have had health issues.

Alan said:
Thanks for that background oldtrig. It is definitely not too late to begin an exercise regime, and exercise will almost certainly improve your health. Just be sure to start slow and build up, and don't be hesitant to ask advice from your doctor if you have had health issues.

+1

Alan said:
I thought of this thread when I played tennis today.

These days it takes me a while to get ready as I have to put on ankle braces, knee braces, a back brace and a wrist brace. I also like to wear a heart monitor since my max HR these days is a measly 163 (soon to be 162) using the 220-age formula. (In my hour long cardio challenge class on Thursday I had to slow down on the final run as it hit 170).

After playing I also need to stretch, ibuprofein at times, and then take a bubble bath.

I accept that at some point I'll have to switch to doubles and eventually stop playing, but until that happens I'll make whatever modifications it takes.

Just catching up with this thread. Alan, I am ashamed of myself after reading your post. I loved competitive tennis, but gave it up a couple years ago because my knee hurt to much from the planting and cutting ( though I still hit recreationally with my GF). You sure are dedicated to the sport to go through all the steps you take and endure to continue playing.

W2r , I guess you could say I suffer from Chronic fatigue syndrome. So far my retirement has not been that good as my health problems continue. I am on my third week of antibiotics after a terrible sinus infection. I went back to the doctor today and he said my lymph node in my neck has went down about 3/4 but he kept me on the antibiotics for another 10 days. I have suffered from allergies all my life and in the last 10 years they have got worse. Some days I cannot do much of anything. I have felt much better in the last two days so I hope the meds are finally working. I am not overweight, eat good but in the last few months I just have not felt much like working out. I will start again Monday and try to do like you do. My wife and I both are pretty fit and we do walk 2 miles a day most days. I just need to build some muscles where I can get some strength back. I have some many things planned but the problems I have had stopped most of them. I starting having kidney problems in April and after every test known to man I passed a stone and that problem went away. That lasted about three months before I was back to normal in that area. I have just had a run of back luck but again I pray that I am on the road to recovery. Thanks for posting back about the exercise thing. I will start that next week. oldtrig

Oldtrig, I think it is great that you can walk 2 miles a day, especially as sick as you have been! I am impressed. Keep it up (if your doctor approves) and I am sure that you will be happy with the results. :)

Oldtrig, I think it is great that you can walk 2 miles a day, especially as sick as you have been! I am impressed. Keep it up (if your doctor approves) and I am sure that you will be happy with the results. :)

+1

Never give up, never surrender...

W2r , I guess you could say I suffer from Chronic fatigue syndrome. So far my retirement has not been that good as my health problems continue. I am on my third week of antibiotics after a terrible sinus infection. I went back to the doctor today and he said my lymph node in my neck has went down about 3/4 but he kept me on the antibiotics for another 10 days. I have suffered from allergies all my life and in the last 10 years they have got worse. Some days I cannot do much of anything. I have felt much better in the last two days so I hope the meds are finally working. I am not overweight, eat good but in the last few months I just have not felt much like working out. I will start again Monday and try to do like you do. My wife and I both are pretty fit and we do walk 2 miles a day most days. I just need to build some muscles where I can get some strength back. I have some many things planned but the problems I have had stopped most of them. I starting having kidney problems in April and after every test known to man I passed a stone and that problem went away. That lasted about three months before I was back to normal in that area. I have just had a run of back luck but again I pray that I am on the road to recovery. Thanks for posting back about the exercise thing. I will start that next week. oldtrig
It sounds like you are just in a temporary rough patch. I agree with others, that 2 miles a day is a great foundation to build on. One could study their pace a bit and up the mileage. I have one of those low cost little pedometers and they're great for measuring progress: Timex T5E011 Digital Pedometer: Sports & Outdoors: Amazon.com

I am so much better but not completely well yet. If anyone has ever had a bad sinus infection you know where I am. For the first three days I was sick everything smelled terrible. The first antibiotics did not work. These I am on now seem to be doing the trick. The neck gland is continuing to go down. :D
On the exercises thing I picked up the pace this weekend walking three miles at a fast pace around my block. Tonight I walked on the treadmill for a hard 20 minutes. My next step is start eating better. I just got off the good meal thing since I retired early this year. It is so easy to say the heck with it and eat some fries and a burger:dance:. I am almost at my high school weight:cool: which is good being it has been over 47 years since I left school.
oldtrig

...(snip)...
On the exercises thing I picked up the pace this weekend walking three miles at a fast pace around my block. Tonight I walked on the treadmill for a hard 20 minutes. ...
Sounds great! Just a reminder to not ramp up too fast. Think of a gentle stair step. Maybe no more then about a 10% increase overall each week. There's plenty of time in ER. :)

Back
Top Bottom