Chocolate, Sneakers, and SPAM

recession spending

I have read that movie attendance is up, too, just like during the de...(no, won't say the "d" word). My local movie theater has slashed daytime prices to $4.50 and also offers a Tuesday special of a popcorn and soft drink for a dollar each. Also, auto repair shops doing a steady business as are auto parts stores. Boy, do I regret not buying that Auto Zone stock!

I think they missed the likelihood that at least some of the food was purchased for "Bird Flu" stockpiles. Like a few others hers, I bought some food to stick on a shelf for a year, and it was all shelf-stable stuff like the things the mention--canned chili, Mac and Cheese, even a couple pounds of chocolate chips. I don't see how the poor economy would explain Spam sales--there are cheaper meat alternatives out there. I didn't put any Spam in our food stockpile--why make matters worse when you are already having a disaster?*

(*spoken in the tradition of American anti-Spam griping. I actually kinda like the stuff)

Hmmm, chocolate for your mouth, sneakers for you feet...I understand. But SPAM? :yuk:

Hmmm, chocolate for your mouth, sneakers for you feet...I understand. But SPAM? :yuk:

The SO from Philly - stick with Scrapple and always for breakfast not dinner. And she claimed she liked Spam.

heh heh heh - :cool: When your neighbors start having Kool Aid and boiled potato's for lunch then you know times are hard. I remember that from the post war forties prosperity break.

I love spam. Specially fried with eggs. Or fried up and on rye bread with dijon. Hmmm almost dinner.

I noticed people are still drinking wine. :D Think Ill join the crowd.

recession spending

Another place seeing great increases during the recession is your public library. The increases are in usage, not in funding(which is down). As a former professional librarian, I feel I have to advocate a little here. The library is a great place to job hunt, rent movies, get bestsellers, enjoy free programming for your children and check out books for them to bring home. If we get them in the reading habit early, they do better in school and can get better jobs. We need to nurture them so that they grow up to work and pay into SS and Medicare so they can support us in our old age.

Another place seeing great increases during the recession is your public library. The increases are in usage, not in funding(which is down). As a former professional librarian, I feel I have to advocate a little here. The library is a great place to job hunt, rent movies, get bestsellers, enjoy free programming for your children and check out books for them to bring home. If we get them in the reading habit early, they do better in school and can get better jobs. We need to nurture them so that they grow up to work and pay into SS and Medicare so they can support us in our old age.

Also worked as a cheap date in High School - we called it studing together.

heh heh heh - I was even frugal back then. Although those days they called it being broke. :cool:

Speaking of chocolate...lookee at what I found the other day.
Free chocolate, folks. This oughta be good. :rolleyes:
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2009/05/14/free-chocolate-every-friday-for-months.aspx
Direct link for the offer is pegged as the "Real Chocolate Relief Act" at
https://secure.realchocolate.com/
I signed up, and will get my first freebie coupon in 6 weeks. I intend to go to the site every Friday. I'm baaa-aaack. :greetings10:
Delayed gratification at its best. Methinks the 6 week wait is to get people salivating (did I hear the sound of a bell ringing?) and hope they run out to the store and buy some anyway. But I already have a stash in place. :LOL:
The coupon will probably be for one of their smallest packages possible. But, hey, ya never know.
Maybe my next c*reer will be a beta tester for Mars. :cool:
At least they were smart enough (mail coupons in limited numbers) not to do what KFC did.

Glad I live inland.....:p
Hey, it's not all deprivation. We have dried salmon, canned chili, and plenty of frozen meat to barbeque on day #2 after the power grid goes down.

Besides the track record around here is nowhere near as bad as the southeast.

Attachments

• Hawaii hurricane tracks 1949-97.gif
    Hawaii hurricane tracks 1949-97.gif
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
Hey, it's not all deprivation. We have dried salmon, canned chili, and plenty of frozen meat to barbeque on day #2 after the power grid goes down.

Besides the track record around here is nowhere near as bad as the southeast.
Well, you've convinced me...I'll come over on day #2. :flowers:

scrapple has to be the worst marketing decision ever!

spam is simple and sounds peppy.

it's really good with most things hot dogs are good with...if you like ur frankfurters, why the hate for spam? they're very close...

Back
Top Bottom