Elon Musk Begins Mass Layoffs At Twittter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't a "free speech" issue if Porky appears on this thread. Private firms can moderate any way they want to.

Jim I'm not sure if you are referring to my post?

A private company can "moderate" any way it wants - I'm certainly not disagreeing, I'll go one step further the owner can run a company anyway he wants. One last point a good portion of the media doesn't like the way that they think that Musk will "moderate" and are casting him as the villain.

Last edited:
I love Twitter.

I get a whole lot of local news that 1) I get hours/days before it shows up in my local TV/paper or 2) never appears in my local TV/paper at all (gee, I often wonder why). There's people who monitor the local police scanner and report about road closures, accidents (what were all those sirens about?) and other items.

Yes, there's a lot of nonsense there too but I can block the big offenders. I just find it very useful.

Ex Twitter employees can always apply to coal mines. It will teach them a new skill and the meaning of hard work. And help with the looming energy shortage.

Last edited:
SpaceX is going to be worth trillions so I guess in the end this 44B fiasco will just be sofa cushion money for Elon.

Ummm... I know that you have always liked SpaceX, and SpaceX had some real accomplishments. But when it comes to monetizing these technological advances, I don't think it is as lucrative as down-to-earth stuff like EV and renewable energy. When the world is a cold and hungry place, it's hard to get people to save money for a trip to Mars, which is just a pipe dream. :)

But back on free speech, we do have plenty of this, compared to China and Russia. Musk is one of those who do not think the laws apply to them, but when the PRC says "Jump", he asks "how high". :) With a single word, Xi Jin Ping can shut down China Tesla, and Musk knows it.

Ummm... I know that you have always liked SpaceX, and SpaceX had some real accomplishments. But when it comes to monetizing these technological advances, I don't think it is as lucrative as down-to-earth stuff like EV and renewable energy. When the world is a cold and hungry place, it's hard to get people to save money for a trip to Mars, which is just a pipe dream. :)

But back on free speech, we do have plenty of this, compared to China and Russia. Musk is one of those who do not think the laws apply to them, but when the PRC says "Jump", he asks "how high". :) With a single word, Xi Jin Ping can shut down China Tesla, and Musk knows it.

Is that any different than Apple or any other big-tech companies?

I worked big tech, and when times were good, the feeling of entitlement and power was intoxicating.

When I look back at my life, I'm ashamed of my attitude that I had in 1999. I was a jerk. Top of the world and all. We demanded stuff from management and got it. It was fun.

Then reality hit.

I've seen employees of various tech firms - not just Twitter - expressing some really jerk attitudes lately. It will be interesting to see how this washes out.

I'll leave the other stuff about Twitter to you all. I've thanked the posters I resonate with. There's a lot going on here that mixes economics with politics and nothing is exactly as it seems.

Not sure what the benefit would be to travel into work to be laid off . . .

Also, I doubt the hours will be 12 hours per day, seven days a week long term - for the non-professional/ non-management staff.

Furthermore, who knows what the future of this entity will be in any event. If it ends up loosing money long term (i.e. going bankrupt) all the employees will be out of work.

Is that any different than Apple or any other big-tech companies?

No. But the other company CEOs do not claim to be advocates of "Free Speech" either. It's the hypocrisy and BS'ing.

Here's an example of "free speech". I was interested in seeing what Tesla FSD (Full Self Driving) could do, so watched a few YouTube channels that were all about this subject. There was this guy who was a Tesla employee. FSD ran his car into a bollard in San Francisco. This time, he was not able to override and take over like he did in countless other FSD mishaps. He got a dent in the bumper.

He got fired for posting the video.

Since then, he made more videos showing how Tesla FSD would run into objects he put on the road. He had to borrow another Tesla with FSD for these counter-demos, because Tesla turned off FSD on his car. :)

The above is more than "free speech". It is about showing the plain and verifiable truth.

PS. If Musk had control of YouTube, this guy's videos would not see the light. :)

Last edited:
No. But the other company CEOs do not claim to be advocates of "Free Speech" either. It's the hypocrisy and BS'ing.

Here's an example of "free speech". I was interested in seeing what Tesla FSD (Full Self Driving) could do, so watched a few YouTube channels that were all about this subject. There was this guy who was a Tesla employee. FSD ran his car into a bollard in San Francisco. This time, he was not able to override and take over like he did in countless other FSD mishaps. He got a dent in the bumper.

He got fired for posting the video.

Since then, he made more videos showing how Tesla FSD would run into objects he put on the road. He had to borrow another Tesla with FSD for these counter-demos, because Tesla turned off FSD on his car. :)

The above is more than "free speech". It is about showing the plain and verifiable truth.

:facepalm:

In the days ahead, watch to see if there will be any Twitts about Tesla that do not sing praises about their cars.

Will there be any negative comments? I dare y'all to find any. :)

I worked big tech, and when times were good, the feeling of entitlement and power was intoxicating.

When I look back at my life, I'm ashamed of my attitude that I had in 1999. I was a jerk. Top of the world and all. We demanded stuff from management and got it. It was fun.

Then reality hit.

I've seen employees of various tech firms - not just Twitter - expressing some really jerk attitudes lately. It will be interesting to see how this washes out.

I'll leave the other stuff about Twitter to you all. I've thanked the posters I resonate with. There's a lot going on here that mixes economics with politics and nothing is exactly as it seems.

Isn't that the truth!

Personally I think that the purchase was a horrible horrible idea but I didn't think Tesla or Space-X were that great either but he seems to be doing okay financially.

Funny thing is I thought he should have bought "My Space" :dance:

A few general comments:
Free speech: There is a big difference between "hate speech" and speech that you hate, and I believe a lot of people label speech that they hate as "hate speech."

Keep in mind Elon Musk's history with SpaceX.

1) During the development of the Falcon 1, he said in a interview he couldn't find a Chief Engineer will to work for the fledgling SpaceX, so Elon Musk took that role over.
2) The entire space industry laughed at SpaceX when Elon Musk started saying they were pursuing reusable rocket boosters. History has proven the entire space industry was wrong in its belief.
3) SpaceX now launches more cargo into space on an annual basis than all other non-USA countries combined.

In summary, SpaceX is easily the most successful Rocket Manufacturing/Launch Provider that we have ever seen. My question is, if Elon Musk is such a jerk/a-hole as the media likes to portray him as, how did SpaceX become so successful? I mean, you can't build a rocket by yourself, it takes a huge team. Why is SpaceX so successful and continues to be so successful if people "hate to work for Elon Musk" and would "never work for him?"

The same could easily be said for Tesla. If Elon Musk is such a terrible person, why are people still willing to take jobs at Tesla?

As for Twitter:

1) I know very little about twitter since I have never used it. Elon Musk initially say, purchasing twitter was not a profit driven motive and that he would likely not make any money off the deal. I will acknowledge his statement could have been intentionally misleading, but it does bare some consideration.

2) The bigger the company, the more bureaucracy and inefficiency. As bureaucracy increases, innovation decreases. By cutting out the bureaucracy and inefficiency (i.e. cutting out layers of management), Elon Musk is attempting to reinvigorate Twitter innovation.

People who work on rockets may not have a lot of other alternative places to seek employment. Until a recession hits, Twitter tech staff likely have alternative places they can work, like other software companies or companies that use software. The recruiters are probably hard at work obtaining Twitter employee directories and calling everyone now. Musk may fire half, but as far as the other 50%, I'm not sure why anyone with marketable skills would choose to stay with that much overtime. That is like getting a 50% pay cut on a per hour basis. He is going to be left with an unprofitable company staffed by unmarketable employees.

In the days ahead, watch to see if there will be any Twitts about Tesla that do not sing praises about their cars.

Will there be any negative comments? I dare y'all to find any. :)

That's absurd and Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities. :greetings10:

Last edited:
The way I see it, mass layoffs already will make Twitter not the same Twitter except by name.

As for free speech on Twitter, wait until all the folks on Twitter start complaining and slamming Twitter. That should be fun ... or not :popcorn:.

My question is, if Elon Musk is such a jerk/a-hole as the media likes to portray him as, how did SpaceX become so successful?

From what I can observe, most of the men who have made big impacts on the world fit into the "big jerk" category.

The world would be very boring if they didn’t exist. And frankly, we’d probably still be hunter gatherers on the savannah.

People who work on rockets may not have a lot of other alternative places to seek employment. Until a recession hits, Twitter tech staff likely have alternative places they can work, like other software companies or companies that use software. The recruiters are probably hard at work obtaining Twitter employee directories and calling everyone now. Musk may fire half, but as far as the other 50%, I'm not sure why anyone with marketable skills would choose to stay with that much overtime. That is like getting a 50% pay cut on a per hour basis. He is going to be left with an unprofitable company staffed by unmarketable employees.

Isn't that what he has now? One of the 1st posts said that they only had $4 billion in revenue, from what I've read growth is stagnant or declining in the last few years.

People who work on rockets may not have a lot of other alternative places to seek employment...

I spent most of my working years at an aerospace company. People watch Dilbert cartoons and do not think it could be real life, but it is not that far from the truth. :LOL:

Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, worked at a telecom company, but big companies are all like that. And I imagine incumbent car companies are not too different.

A young startup aerospace company with promises of new exciting projects and stock options would not find it hard to attract good talents. These guys are self motivators. If it can be done, they will find a way. But do not ask them to walk on water. :)

Lawsuits have already been filed for Musk failing to send out WARN notices. I also read he fired the entire C-suite "for cause" to avoid paying out severances. Musk might be a smart man, but he is an entitled ass as far as I am concerned.

Lawsuits have already been filed for Musk failing to send out WARN notices. I also read he fired the entire C-suite "for cause" to avoid paying out severances. Musk might be a smart man, but he is an entitled ass as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, no one saw the possibility that Musk might fire the existing Twitter management team. He should have sent out warning notices! :facepalm:

(Reuters) - Twitter's new owner Elon Musk has denied a New York Times report about laying off Twitter employees at a date earlier than Nov. 1 to avoid stock grants due on the day.

In a response to a Twitter user asking about the layoffs, Musk tweeted: "This is false."

Well I vote NO on E. Musk :)
I owned TWTR and had a slight loss. Thanks to his weird takeover I got out without loosing too much. And he was the main reason I got out. I have stopped reading all twitter info which was kind of worthless anyway. Feel sorry for employees.

Tesla stock is down about -50% year to date.

He should stick to his knitting which is clearly in the tech area.

Last edited:
Yeah, no one saw the possibility that Musk might fire the existing Twitter management team. He should have sent out warning notices! :facepalm:

(Reuters) - Twitter's new owner Elon Musk has denied a New York Times report about laying off Twitter employees at a date earlier than Nov. 1 to avoid stock grants due on the day.

In a response to a Twitter user asking about the layoffs, Musk tweeted: "This is false."

It’s required by federal law.
WARN: Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification.
There is a criteria to fall into this requirement, such as size of company and number of layoffs, but I’m 99.99% sure Twitter falls into that category.
It’s actually standard practice that any large company with competent HR employees would know, if HR was consulted.

When I spoke of the "WARN" notice, I was referencing this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_Adjustment_and_Retraining_Notification_Act_of_1988

I'll lay odds that there's a bunch of lawyers in California drooling over the money they could get representing those C-suite executives for their golden parachutes.

Never a fan of Twitter. Had an account but never figured out how to use it effectively. Deactivated it the day Musk took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom