For the Bitcoin fans

I grabbed a few chunks in 2014-2017 (BTC and a few others in smaller amounts). Kind of forgot about it until I realized my 2K total investment was now 40K (a 20 bagger). I sold off most to fund my retirement accounts that year (2017?) but started to put a bit in here and there and now it's 2% of total portfolio. I suppose I should add enough to get it up to 4% at least. I do like the "government can't seize it" aspect. What I DONT like is that if you send it to the wrong address, or make a mistake with one digit of the address, it's gone. A million bucks can vanish with one wrong keystroke. THAT I find disturbing and then some.

What I DONT like is that if you send it to the wrong address, or make a mistake with one digit of the address, it's gone. A million bucks can vanish with one wrong keystroke. THAT I find disturbing and then some.

That is definitely a scary possibility. And the price we pay for being in total control. For smaller amounts (whatever "smaller" means to you), knowing what you're doing and paying attention to what you do is likely enough but there are ways of increasing security of the transfers - you could create a multisig wallet that requires checking 2 out of 3 (or 3 out of 5 and so on) signatures/pins before confirming anything.

GBTC has an implicit arbitrage opportunity as part of its construction. Ritholtz covers this in his interview with gbtc founder.

I would just like to jump in to follow future discussion. It's difficult to find a rational crypto discussion with your fellow 2.3 million redditors...

Any way, I futzed about with BTC and DOGE and maybe Litecoin back in 2014. Then I locked myself out of my wallet. The good news is that as best I can tell my original $100 investment would have been worth maybe $5 so no big loss there...

This time I added a zero, split it between BTC and ETH and ended up with all of it in an interest-bearing account. Seems like that might help offset some of the volatility. I think we are going to shift our monthly investments to something like 30-50% index fund as always, the rest going to BTC. Then we'll see how we feel about that by the end of the year.

Been doing a *LOT* of reading over the last week just to catch up. Any way, hi. :)

I suggest some of Luke Gromen at fftt.com and Lyn Alden for currency macro view. Humans are going to need digital money in the near future. Mastercard and Visa won't get the job done. Bitcoin is currently a lousy payments network and a lousy currency, but it was designed solely as a store of value. It does that well.
It seems every government crisis leads to weaponizing dollars and debt. Feels too much like late Rome for my taste. Elites and anointed above the lockdown/maskup chaos, handing out cash to keep restless natives quiet. Feels like an empire moment, quiet before storm.
So I bought a few SATs, won't take much if fiat subsides in defeat, and won't make a difference in net worth if I am wrong. Cheap insurance.
The laggards in Caracas VZ are burning cars in despair as their mini empire collapses. I'm too old for that dance card. I will average into a full bitcoin while the tide goes out on the empire du jour. Just in case.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom