internet trading account

DLS1

Dryer sheet wannabe
I'm a really really new investor. I want to buy a few individual stocks/mutual funds. The prices seem really low right now, and I know the bottom of this market is nowhere in sight. I just want to gamble with 2k or so to start and I'm curious what internet trading site I should use. I have heard bad things about etrade and scottrade. What do you guys think I should use??

DLS1,

Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab are pretty popular with the folks on here.

Coach

I use TD Ameritrade -- have had good service and trade prices are decent ($9.99).

Don't you get like 30 free trades at TD Ameritrade? I want to buy stock on monday, but will I be able to? I tried to set up a zecco account to buy today and I read it can take a week just to get your account approved, then the money wires take like 2-3 days.

My bank is open tomorrow. Will TD open my account instantly, and have me ready to go by monday? Is this possible with vangaurd or anyone?

Thanks

It's pretty tricky to open a brokerage account in a day. If you can find a broker with a local office and you bring them cash, you might be able to swing an active account by Monday.

Don't you get like 30 free trades at TD Ameritrade? I want to buy stock on monday, but will I be able to? I tried to set up a zecco account to buy today and I read it can take a week just to get your account approved, then the money wires take like 2-3 days.

My bank is open tomorrow. Will TD open my account instantly, and have me ready to go by monday? Is this possible with vangaurd or anyone?

Thanks

I am not sure about how long the process takes -- I opened my last account with them via online application and electronic transfer of funds from my credit union but cannot remember the timeline since I was not in a hurry. You might be able to do this within a day a two -- I would call them to find out. My first account with them was a Roth which I had with TD Waterhouse (before Ameritrade took them over). I think they still offer the free trades for a new account.

Thanks. My zecco account was approved about 2 hours ago. I'm going to just electronically transfer funds (3-4 days). Then, maybe GE will be lower. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom