Is it too late to buy AAPL?

Too late today. Wait until market opens tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

To me the question is do i want to buy apple without Jobs. Do i want brkshre without Buffet. What's making the margin? The system or the man?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think everyone watched to see what would happen after Jobs. It appears to be nothing.

Next generation products may tell the story. And whether they can retain Jonathan Ive.

Market cap has increased a lot since Jobs left.

They haven't had a blockbuster product category. It's just that iPhone keeps bringing the profits while iPad sales have flattened.

Maybe the Watch will be a hit but it remains to be seen if it will reach the success iPad has had.

Whether iPhone performance is sustainable is also in question.

With AAPL up almost 60% from a year ago, I enjoy revisiting this thread. ;)

Tim Cook has said the revenue from the Apple watch alone would be “well into” the Fortune 500, so …*not a dud. :)

I purchased my stake in early 2001 and have held onto it ever since. I've never been tempted to rebalance —*I agree with Warren Buffett's thinking:

"To suggest that this investor should sell off portions of his most successful investments simply because they have come to dominate his portfolio is akin to suggesting that the Bulls trade Michael Jordan because he has become so important to the team."

Glad I kept Michael on my team, to say the least! :)

Did he say that about the Watch or about the service revenues (Apple Music, iCloud)?

The latter is the fastest growing part of the company I believe.

I thought about adding shares, since I am getting decent dividends. But too late now. They raised the dividend, making them the biggest dividend payer, but the yield is still poor.

I thought it would be too late when I bought it at $75.

I'm no longer accumulating AAPL except for rolling dividends back into shares. It's amazing how much money it keep raking in for incremental phone updates, a watch, and selling music/videos. Stockholders are getting restless that they are sitting on over a quarter trillion dollars in cash and don't seem interested in doing anything with it.

That being said, . I see AMZN having a better upside in the future. They are actually innovating (AWS, cloud home devices, AI, etc) and are also a retail juggernaut that, IMO, is still a bit in its infancy. AAPL's future seems cloudy to me, even though they keep inconceivably raking in cash from iPhones.

The stock of a good company is often not a good stock to buy because all of the upside is already reflected in the price of the stock. Hence, more downside than upside.

This is why market statistics show consistently that value beats growth over the long term. Growth stocks can be great for traders operating with a "greater fool" strategy except, of course, for the last guy in.

Did he say that about the Watch or about the service revenues (Apple Music, iCloud)?

The latter is the fastest growing part of the company I believe.

I thought about adding shares, since I am getting decent dividends. But too late now. They raised the dividend, making them the biggest dividend payer, but the yield is still poor.

Just the watch sales alone: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/1...-revenue-earnings-call-wearable-other-devices

Tim Cook says the services are on track to be Fortune *100* :)

Depends on your age and timeline. I would buy now for the following reasons: service revenue never gets mentioned and it is a big deal, large cash position, offshore money and just enough sexiness to have decent covered call premiums in addition to a yield. Do it and don't worry about the next iPhone cycle.

The turning point for me was when i was sitting in a bank meeting and everyone had iPads and not Microsoft laptops

no, it's not too late. there will certainly be someone tomorrow willing to sell their shares to you.

Buying near all time high?

The turning point for me was when i was sitting in a bank meeting and everyone had iPads and not Microsoft laptops

One of my favorite articles was this one, showing how much you would have if you'd invested as much in Apple's stock as you spent on one of their products:

What If I Had Invested In AAPL Instead? - Business Insider

AAPL was the first individual stock I purchased; I followed Peter Lynch's advice to buy stock in a company whose products you use and love. We used Apple computers and printers in our business and I owned their first laptop (so big and heavy it would have made a good boat anchor) and loved it. So I invested one year's IRA contribution in the company.

When we bought AAPL, We were an MS, Samsung, and Motorola family.

Now we are 2xiPad, 2x iPhone and Win7 laptop. The laptop is for spreadsheets so gets less usage.

Back
Top Bottom