Motley Fool

FreeAsTheBreeze

Dryer sheet wannabe
Worthwhile to subscribe:confused: Thanks for the opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

go back and look at the MF recommendations right before the 2000 crash - and the answer is...NO

Try signing up for one of their services, and see how you like the endless sales pitches that will arrive in your inbox. I swear, if I receive one more e-mail telling me that this is my final, final chance to sign up for their Million Dollar Portfolio, or whatever the heck it's called, I will not be held accountable for my actions. (Funny how, after my "final final" chance, I am usually offered "just one more chance." Aaaaargh!)

I have lost count of the number of times they have told me, "You have until midnight to sign up" or some similar exhortation.

I have subscribed to their Rule Breakers newsletter for the last few years. Each year, I decide not to renew, and each year they keep offering me cheaper and cheaper deals until I do renew. This needy behavior is kind of annoying. At this point, the few "Rule Breakers" stocks of theirs I am holding represent such a small part of my portfolio (and will be even smaller after this years mini selling spree), even the $50 they are charging me this year (down from the $199 they were initially trying to get from me last year) is too much.

To be fair, I am not an individual equities kind of guy but even so, their sales tactics are annoying. They should start setting up booths at county fairs to demonstrate kitchen gadgets and knife sets. They certainly have the sales patter down.

But then again, maybe I'm just a grumpy old codger.

Many years ago I subscribed. It took years and years and years to get the spam to stop. I don't know if this is still a problem. People's wants differ. I never thought too much of the site.

Never thought about subscribing to them or any other stock picking service.

It has always seemed a bit strange to me that some person or company who purports to know how to make money picking stocks needs you to send them money, and even stranger that someone would actually do it.

It has always seemed a bit strange to me that some person or company who purports to know how to make money picking stocks needs you to send them money

Sort of: " if you're so smart why aren't you rich?"

It took years and years and years to get the spam to stop.

This is all too common among the current crop of financial gurus.

Once the "Final (And We Mean It) 24-Hour Only Special Price Offer" expires, you start getting these:
We have been flooded with emails from subscribers who were on vacation during our recent SPECIAL ONE-TIME OFFER and missed the golden opportunity. Our accountants are screaming, but we're going to do the right thing and open it up to special people like you, but only until midnight tomorrow.

Seriously, MF is not worth it, no matter what kind of great deal they might offer you.

I read the article in the paper and have clicked on free links, but paying for this doesn't appeal to me.

This is all too common among the current crop of financial gurus.

Once the "Final (And We Mean It) 24-Hour Only Special Price Offer" expires, you start getting these:

Seriously, MF is not worth it, no matter what kind of great deal they might offer you.

MF is almost as bad as Sirius!:facepalm:

Check out your local library as you may have online access to MF through your library card.

If they have just great information on the next hot stocks, why would they share that information with all of us, rather than investing every cent of their life savings, and even borrowing some money, to buy up all the stocks they can before they skyrocket?

Years ago when I subscribed as in login with password, I didn't pay anything. Later the spam for money started. Definitely I wouldn't subscribe if I had to pay.

It's of just one of many sources for financial info, but their info is about individual stocks. Too bad it's so hard to get really good advice on mutual and ETF's--where so many people park their company 401K's. Many companies' 401k's don't offer the really good mutual funds and they also won't offer the most risky--trying to balance risks and rewards somewhat.

Go ahead be a fool. Maybe they will send you a joker hat with special instruction..... on how to be fleeced.

I never even thought about a subscription to anything like MF. When I first heard of them, a very, very long time ago, the message seemed logical, but at some point they seem to have gone to maximize their profit, not their listeners'.

Thanks to all for taking time to answer my inquiry.
I own mutual and bond funds, but no individual stocks. I was playing around with the idea of purchasing some stock for my grandchildren and wondered if the Fool would be helpful, but had my doubts. The old saying, if it sounds to good to be true, yada yada.
Again, thanks for the reality check. Will stick with the 529's or similar products.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I made the foolish mistake of signing up for a free trial (which was a waste of reading time) and have been unable to get the Motlley Spammer to stop sending me their once in a lifetime offers twice a day.

once in a lifetime offers twice a day.

Hahahaha - you described my frustration with them perfectly with that phrase, "once in a lifetime offers twice a day". I'm sure they are intelligent folk at MF, and must realize how ridiculous their sales tactics are. I can only conclude that they are in desperate straits.

Back
Top Bottom