new index ETF

kongmen

Recycles dryer sheets
I would like to get opinions on the new ETF(ticker DRLL) as an investment going forward. It's expense ratio is high for an index ETF.

Thanks for any replies.

Interesting investment strategy:

Backers Peter Thiel and Bill Ackman have sought to create an ETF [DRLL] with the purpose of promoting energy investment like more drilling. They want to push back against environmental, social and governance (or ESG) mandates which reward oil companies for lowering production.

Looks similar to XLE, an ETF that invests in energy companies. Expense ratio for DRLL (0.43%) is 4x that of XLE (0.1%)

I'm all for ETF's. I even like energy. This one has 1000 companies. .41 expense ratio is a bit high for me. I would go with VDE, .10 expense ratio.

The impression I got when skimming through their material is that this is more of a "political" statement than an investment. There are a few wrinkles between it & its competitors in the energy space, but none that struck me as significant.

That said, without regard to whether or not the asset space is a good investment going forward, I wouldn't take this as the vehicle. Note the small size of the fund. Means liquidity will be low, wide spreads. Coupled with the drag of expense ratio, I doubt the etf will get traction. Sometime down the road, it will be dissolved. Not meaning your investment will go to nothing, but that assets sold off & you'll get your "nav".

Why bother? If you want to support their message, have at it. Will cost a little, but not disaster. Happy investing -- let us know what you decide.

Here is their deal: typical fund managers vote your shares ignoring your wishes and they may simply kow-tow to big institutional owners. Idea here is to focus on investing, not politics or ESG since those metrics are not tied to long-term investment success.

It makes sense I think. I expect as the fund grows larger, expenses will come down.

Most of the top 10 holdings are the same as XLE. Not sure what warrants a 4x higher ER

So perhaps emulate by buying XLE and shorting a few of the XLE members that are not in DRLL.

Maybe. Its marketing itself as the Anti-ESG Energy ETF, but if the top 10 weightings are all the same, whats it really accomplishing? And I work in the field and know for a fact that some of those in the top 10 are certainly bought into the ESG stuff.

Back
Top Bottom