Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hang on until 2031 Winemaker and if they are still in business you are guaranteed to get your $100 back!
As they say, a penny saved is a penny earned.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 05:12 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hang on until 2031 Winemaker and if they are still in business you are guaranteed to get your $100 back!
It's only money! And enough for a bottle of 2 buck Chuck, if I ever had to stoop that low!
__________________
Give me Liberty or give me Death. Patrick Henry
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
It's only money! And enough for a bottle of 2 buck Chuck, if I ever had to stoop that low!


Winemaker, as I type its crawled back to $100.00 even..Hurry quick...Sell! Sell!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Winemaker, as I type its crawled back to $100.00 even..Hurry quick...Sell! Sell!
Yeah, I put another buy order in last night at $99.90 and it opened higher today, but they also announced the divvy today so it most likely caused a bump.

And you know that I'm a buy and hold guy, so even if it really pops, I'll have it to 2031. I don't have the patience to be a trader.
__________________
Give me Liberty or give me Death. Patrick Henry
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Yeah, I put another buy order in last night at $99.90 and it opened higher today, but they also announced the divvy today so it most likely caused a bump.



And you know that I'm a buy and hold guy, so even if it really pops, I'll have it to 2031. I don't have the patience to be a trader.


I have played with this one some, but I will always have at least 25k in this one..The terms and payout are too good. Now if QVC starts going into the crapper I will need to reconsider the plan!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,336
I'm a few days late with this, but here are my current holdings......

CHCSM
CHSCL
CNLPL
CNTHP
AILLL
SLMNP
MNR-C
SPLP-A

Any thoughts?
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Winemaker, as I type its crawled back to $100.00 even..Hurry quick...Sell! Sell!
It was up to $100.43 today! Now, for each lot, I'm up $45, now that's my entry point for a decent red wine, if I would ever have the urge to buy one.
__________________
Give me Liberty or give me Death. Patrick Henry
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
It was up to $100.43 today! Now, for each lot, I'm up $45, now that's my entry point for a decent red wine, if I would ever have the urge to buy one.
Winemaker.....think about this....just annualize the % gain you just made over the short period of holding. I'll bet it's pretty high! That alone should be the driving force for the sale of the stock and then the expensive wine is totally justified!
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
It was up to $100.43 today! Now, for each lot, I'm up $45, now that's my entry point for a decent red wine, if I would ever have the urge to buy one.





Bought QRTEP at around the same time as Winemaker; paid $99.98. Doubled my holding.



Rising rates doing some gut punches to my portfolio. At least the income stream is not affected.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Winemaker.....think about this....just annualize the % gain you just made over the short period of holding. I'll bet it's pretty high! That alone should be the driving force for the sale of the stock and then the expensive wine is totally justified!
I like your way of thinking, aja! Any justification to BTD on wine/booze is right up my alley!
__________________
Give me Liberty or give me Death. Patrick Henry
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm a few days late with this, but here are my current holdings......

CHCSM
CHSCL
CNLPL
CNTHP
AILLL
SLMNP
MNR-C
SPLP-A

Any thoughts?


Those are solid plays, Youbet. Some may be a bit too solid being the CLP and AILLL are way over par. But as you know as long as they dont get called they will trade at a solid premium in this interest rate environment. SPLP-A is the weak link in safety but its certainly reasonable risk and a nice counter balance to the ones will over par
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #152
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
It was up to $100.43 today! Now, for each lot, I'm up $45, now that's my entry point for a decent red wine, if I would ever have the urge to buy one.


Now since a few of us have this issue. Give your wives a credit card, turn the tv to the QVC channel and tell them to go to work!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #153
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
SPLP-A is the weak link in safety but its certainly reasonable risk and a nice counter balance to the ones will over par
Unless they go back to paying the divy in shares
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Unless they go back to paying the divy in shares


Yes, but didnt they just do that one quarter last year during Covid peak?
Bottom line they are not as safe as the others, but none of his others have a YTM (or YTC) at 10.50% plus like this one has with a 5 year term duration.
I just saw yesterday a SPLP board member was buying them last week, and owns 30,000k of the preferred now plus 70k of the common. Interesting he was buying the preferred.
I decided yesterday to get in at $20.71 for my high risk bucket.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #155
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, SE Florida, Lausanne
Posts: 1,940
It looks like we are at the beginning of another sell-off of bonds and preferred stocks. Bond funds such as BND and LQD are trading below pre-pandemic levels despite the current vs past treasury yields and lower current distributions from those funds. My individual bonds are trading well above pre-pandemic levels. So much for the theory that bond funds adjust for interest rates just like individual bonds.

I'm looking to scoop up some JPM-G and JPM-H (both past their call dates) if they drop below par and JPM-C, JPM-D, COF-H when they drop well below par.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 10,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
It looks like we are at the beginning of another sell-off of bonds and preferred. Bond funds such as BND and LQD are trading below pre-pandemic levels despite the current vs past treasury yields and lower current distributions from those funds. My individual bonds are trading well above pre-pandemic levels. So much for the theory that bond funds adjust for interest rates just like individual bonds.

I'm looking to scop up some JPM-G and JPM-H (both past their call dates) if they drop below par and JPM-C, JPM-D, COF-H when they drop well below par.
Yes, VERY ANNOYING.... not such a safe choice..
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #157
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
It looks like we are at the beginning of another sell-off of bonds and preferred stocks. Bond funds such as BND and LQD are trading below pre-pandemic levels despite the current vs past treasury yields and lower current distributions from those funds. My individual bonds are trading well above pre-pandemic levels. So much for the theory that bond funds adjust for interest rates just like individual bonds.

I'm looking to scoop up some JPM-G and JPM-H (both past their call dates) if they drop below par and JPM-C, JPM-D, COF-H when they drop well below par.

If your in cash waiting may bring some deals. I keep fighting and moving around. Buying heavily into past call anchored issues from 2% 10 year era, and some term preferreds. They arent as exposed and acting better. The low yield IG liquids are the ones most exposed now.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #158
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, SE Florida, Lausanne
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If your in cash waiting may bring some deals. I keep fighting and moving around. Buying heavily into past call anchored issues from 2% 10 year era, and some term preferreds. They arent as exposed and acting better. The low yield IG liquids are the ones most exposed now.
I have a lot of cash waiting on the sidelines. I am looking at corporate notes with 1- 3 years remaining such as some of the one's I picked up last March:

Seagate Technology March 2022 4.25% notes CUSIP 81180WAV3 (bought at $96.21 last March)

Seagate Technology March 2024 4.875 Notes CUSIP 81180WAT8 (bought at $93.70 last March).

Centurylink April 2024 7.5% Notes CUSIP 156700BA3 (bought at $96.61 average cost last March and prior to)

Qwest Dec 2021 6.875 Notes CUSIP 74913GAX3 (bought at 97.30 last March)


The market has become too irrational. We have nearly bankrupt companies rallying to absurd market capitalization based on some promoters on Reddit. It was bad prior to the Dotcom bubble, but this is far worse. I will start putting limit orders below par on the corporate notes above if the market gets into a panic sell mode.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Yes, but didnt they just do that one quarter last year during Covid peak?
Bottom line they are not as safe as the others, but none of his others have a YTM (or YTC) at 10.50% plus like this one has with a 5 year term duration.
I just saw yesterday a SPLP board member was buying them last week, and owns 30,000k of the preferred now plus 70k of the common. Interesting he was buying the preferred.
I decided yesterday to get in at $20.71 for my high risk bucket.
Yep, they only did it that once.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.