Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #5381
Recycles dryer sheets

NGHCN is trading much higher at 25.90 with the same call price, but July 2021 call date. So I wonder how it is treated if the acquisition is prior to that call date. Are they at risk for conversion at the future call price earlier? I can't see the detail yet on quantumonline. The Z share symbol is callable in Sept this year at $25 and seems to have less meat so to speak. However it is trading at 25.45, a bit hit I would guess? Anyone help on this as to which shares if any have a better risk/reward?

Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #5382
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I went to quantumonline to look and of course my login didn't work.
So I put in my email, and they literally sent me my username and password.
Turns out they chop off a password if it's too long which is why my record of the password failed.

The point is: they don't encrypt your password on the site. So don't use that password anywhere else.

Now I have to think of something other than 1234567 to use at the bank
I keep getting phishing or spoof emails using my quantumonline email saying they've got pictures of me in various embarrassing position demanding ransom.
I haven't been on the site for a long while.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #5383
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
NGHCN is trading much higher at 25.90 with the same call price, but July 2021 call date. So I wonder how it is treated if the acquisition is prior to that call date. Are they at risk for conversion at the future call price earlier? I can't see the detail yet on quantumonline. The Z share symbol is callable in Sept this year at $25 and seems to have less meat so to speak. However it is trading at 25.45, a bit hit I would guess? Anyone help on this as to which shares if any have a better risk/reward?

AllState filings indicate it will be called at first call date next summer. The higher price negates the menial call length protection. The debt issue isnt directly addressed so I avoided it.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #5384
Give me a forum ...

Just received a notice that PNC-Q is being called on Sept 1.

Quote:
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC) today announced the redemption on Sept. 1, 2020, of $480,000,000 of Depositary Shares (CUSIP: 693475832) (the "Depositary Shares") representing interests in PNC's 5.375% Non-Cumulative Perpetual Preferred Stock, Series Q (the "Series Q Preferred Stock"). Each Depositary Share represents a 1/4,000th interest in a share of the Series Q Preferred Stock. All 19,200,000 Depositary Shares currently outstanding will be redeemed.

The Depositary Shares will be redeemed at a redemption price of $25.00 per Depositary Share plus declared and unpaid dividends of $0.3359375 per Depositary Share, representing the dividend for the period from June 1, 2020 to, but excluding, Sept. 1, 2020.
Wierd thing though... on Fidelity in indicates that the last trade was $25.33.... why would someone buy it for $25.33 today to receive $25.34 on Sept 1?

I noticed that it opened at $25.69, had a low of $25.29 and closed at $25.33. Pity the person who bought at $25.69 at the open only to see the company announce the call later in the day and ive the price down to $25.33... instant 1.4% loss.... you takes your chances I guess.

https://thepncfinancialservicesgroup...node/38806/pdf

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #5385
Dryer sheet aficionado

Would greatly appreciate some advice if anyone has any to offer. Just bought a new house and my old, paid off, one will be sold soon. But instead of a short term loan to cover the time between the purchase and sale, I got a 15 year mortgage at 2.5%. I will pay this off fairly fast but not within a year.

So when my old house closes in a few weeks, I will have about $600K in cash which I just need to earn more than 2.5% on without too much risk for twelve to eighteen months.

I have a few candidates from browsing quantumonline: EAB, ELU, APRCD, APRDN and a couple of others. I have also been considering some of the issues frequently discussed here, like the SCE preferreds and CBKLP but I already own quite a bit of those.

Your comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #5386
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hamster, you might want to look at non-callable preferred stocks.

I own WFC-L & BAC-L. Both are non-callable, and yield about 5%. They are convertible stock, but the level at which the conversion can be exercised is so high there is almost zero chance of that.

Dividends are Qualified.

Because there is no call risk, your primary concerns would be centered around the possibility of dividend suspension ( they are non-cumulative ), and the possibility of insolvency ( low risk, in my opinion ).

Of course, if there should be a market meltdown these stocks will drop along with the rest of the market. That is a risk with ANY stock. If that is too great a risk, bonds could be a consideration as long as you hold to maturity.

Do your own DD, and then you can make an informed decision. Good luck!!
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #5387
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post

I own WFC-L & BAC-L. Both are non-callable, and yield about 5%. They are convertible stock, but the level at which the conversion can be exercised is so high there is almost zero chance of that.
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I don't expect to hold these beyond a year or so I am not too worried about call risk.

I already own some WFC-L from back when it was cheaper. I will take a closer look at BAC-L.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #5388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just received a notice that PNC-Q is being called on Sept 1.
Quote:
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC) today announced the redemption on Sept. 1, 2020, of $480,000,000 of Depositary Shares (CUSIP: 693475832) (the "Depositary Shares") representing interests in PNC's 5.375% Non-Cumulative Perpetual Preferred Stock, Series Q (the "Series Q Preferred Stock"). Each Depositary Share represents a 1/4,000th interest in a share of the Series Q Preferred Stock. All 19,200,000 Depositary Shares currently outstanding will be redeemed.

The Depositary Shares will be redeemed at a redemption price of $25.00 per Depositary Share plus declared and unpaid dividends of $0.3359375 per Depositary Share, representing the dividend for the period from June 1, 2020 to, but excluding, Sept. 1, 2020.
Wierd thing though... on Fidelity in indicates that the last trade was $25.33.... why would someone buy it for $25.33 today to receive $25.34 on Sept 1?

I noticed that it opened at $25.69, had a low of $25.29 and closed at $25.33. Pity the person who bought at $25.69 at the open only to see the company announce the call later in the day and ive the price down to $25.33... instant 1.4% loss.... you takes your chances I guess.

https://thepncfinancialservicesgroup...node/38806/pdf
So help me understand this. According to the call notice if I hold out until they call it on Sept 1 I would receive $25.3359375. I put in an order for $25.33 (Friday's closing price) over the weekend and it was filled today. So on 100 shares the buyer will make 59c over the ~28 day holding period.... 0.3% annualized return.

Strange world. What am I missing?

Old 08-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #5389
Confused about dryer sheets

Appears many shares traded at $25.31 today, also the minimum of the day. That is only $2 more per 100 shares but that becomes 1.2 - 1.3% annualized.
tutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #5390
Give me a forum ...

OK.... have not been using the various sites given awhile back.... just getting back into trading...

So, go to dividends.com and it is way different than before... I cannot find any place to put in a specific ticker and get the historical info... this was a go to site for me back when...

Freerealtime seems to be the same but does not give ex-divi date or yield...

So, what is a good free site that replaces dividends.com?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #5391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutan View Post
Appears many shares traded at $25.31 today, also the minimum of the day. That is only $2 more per 100 shares but that becomes 1.2 - 1.3% annualized.
I woud have thought that $25.31 or thereabouts would be what they would be trading for... I threw the $25.33 limit order out there for shits and giggles and was surprised that it filled.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the proceeds.

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 08-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #5392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Would greatly appreciate some advice if anyone has any to offer. Just bought a new house and my old, paid off, one will be sold soon. But instead of a short term loan to cover the time between the purchase and sale, I got a 15 year mortgage at 2.5%. I will pay this off fairly fast but not within a year.

So when my old house closes in a few weeks, I will have about $600K in cash which I just need to earn more than 2.5% on without too much risk for twelve to eighteen months.

I have a few candidates from browsing quantumonline: EAB, ELU, APRCD, APRDN and a couple of others. I have also been considering some of the issues frequently discussed here, like the SCE preferreds and CBKLP but I already own quite a bit of those.

Your comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hamster, I would be careful misapplying a short term duration need with a long term perpetual. You may catch a rough patch when not needed. These can be volatile.
NGHCO and NGHCP are slated for redemption early next year per AllState filings. SPE-B is term dated..There is another one that is term dated a Gabelli one in 9/2021 next year. Have to remember the name and ticker though.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #5393
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hamster, I would be careful misapplying a short term duration need with a long term perpetual. You may catch a rough patch when not needed. These can be volatile.
NGHCO and NGHCP are slated for redemption early next year per AllState filings. SPE-B is term dated..There is another one that is term dated a Gabelli one in 9/2021 next year. Have to remember the name and ticker though.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take a closer look at the kinds of things you suggest, but I should clarify that, while I expect to hold these only for a year or so, I can hold them longer if that ends up making more sense. My biggest concern is that they keep paying.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #5394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
If you have a "make me sell it" price, put a GTC limit sell out there. Costs you nothing and maybe you find another person who forgets to put a limit price on their order, or just need to the shares for one reason or another.
Quote:
Yes, that is what I have done... put a GTC limit at the "last" price and we'll see if anyone bites.... I could even lower it a bit and be quite happy.
Well, it took about 6 weeks but with the GTC order I was able to sell all of my HAWLN at $24/share... bought at $19.78... so at a gain equal to over 4 years worth of dividends.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #5395

Quote:
Well, it took about 6 weeks but with the GTC order I was able to sell all of my HAWLN at $24/share... bought at $19.78... so at a gain equal to over 4 years worth of dividends.
If your experience is like mine, that stock will now hit $25/sh Those thinly traded preferreds are a curse and a blessing, trying to cash out can be a bit tricky, but in the end you banked it.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #5396
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps.... but to be honest I can't understand why anyone would pay $24 for it... 4.17% yield for a Ba1 credit.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #5397

Quote:
Perhaps.... but to be honest I can't understand why anyone would pay $24 for it... 4.17% yield.
Dunno, but just looked and it closed yesterday at $24.90, 4.02% yield. Bid only $22.76, so no one looking to pay up today.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #5398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps.... but to be honest I can't understand why anyone would pay $24 for it... 4.17% yield for a Ba1 credit.

Guys, Its a freakin $20 par , $21 redemption price preferred. All Hawaii ones are...Do they think they are $25 issues?
Here is one to study and watch if so inclined...I bought a little more LXP-C today at $54.11.. A 6.01% yield. Busted convertible and a conversion will still net a profit way down the road...Indirectly rated Baa3... Industrial reit and common stock LXP just hit 7 year high yesterday. It has converted past few years from office reit to Industrial reit. My biggest holding, though granted most of mine were bought cheaper.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #5399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good job PB! Yesterday I sold 200 shares of AILNP at $140 and $145 that I bought earlier this year at $119. I have had a lot of these lately.As you have noticed, PB, the illiquid market has gone nuts!!!! And I have sold an arse load for easy money... Unbelievable month I had!
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #5400
Give me a forum ...

PB, I will be honest, I been buying a sub 4% perpetual but Im trying to buy up the float, ha.