Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

If I remember my login information I'll log in to see if there's a response to my complaint. Hopefully they fixed the bug.

Nothing like a Dow drop of 250+ points to jostle the rankings a bit. If the market remains down like that rest of day, looks like there will be some rank position changes come morning :angel:.

Nothing like a Dow drop of 250+ points to jostle the rankings a bit. If the market remains down like that rest of day, looks like there will be some rank position changes come morning :angel:.

I expect I'll still be in last place, losing ~5% today with that portfolio I think.

I expect I'll still be in last place, losing ~5% today with that portfolio I think.

I may move up a few notches. Held onto all this cash for a reason :).

Last edited:
I just got the bull award and it looks like I'll be #1 tomorrow. I apparently picked weird counter-market stock without trying.

Award Earned!

Requirement: Bullish is Wall Street slang for optimism. An asset is believed to increase in value. To earn this award, you must buy enough stock in your portfolio, so that the value of the (long) stock portfolio exceeds than 75% of your current account value.

I just got the bull award and it looks like I'll be #1 tomorrow. I apparently picked weird counter-market stock without trying.

Nice. Zigging while the rest are zagging.

The dow today going down 372.82 pts is a good thing. At least from a contest perspective. Some ups and downs in the contest to see how we navigate :blush:.

This is a good buying opportunity. Wish I had some cash left in my portfolio to take advantage.:LOL:

Hmm, I just noticed I used Fermion1 instead of Fermion. Maybe I should restart? ;)

(this drop yesterday was killer)

This is why they named the contest after me.

Attachments

• investopedia-contest.jpg
    investopedia-contest.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 20
Looks like a change in the leader board for the top spot by morning.

Lawrencewendall in the lead by a bit over Boho.

Looks like a change in the leader board for the top spot by morning.

Lawrencewendall in the lead by a bit over Boho.

As of now, by morning I'll have $1,053,040.68 and lawrencewendall will have $1,052,603.14.

As of now, by morning I'll have $1,053,040.68 and lawrencewendall will have $1,052,603.14.

Could have sworn when I clicked earlier the numbers were reversed :facepalm:.
I stand corrected. But looks like Lawrencewendall is nipping at your heels.

Could have sworn when I clicked earlier the numbers were reversed :facepalm:.
I stand corrected. But looks like Lawrencewendall is nipping at your heels.

I spoke too early yesterday. Looks like Lawrencewendall did more than just nipping at your heels as will be in first by tomorrow. This time, I'm certain.

Yeah, I bought $493,000 of ANW and it dropped over 10% today. Motley Fool says "Shares of Aegean Marine Petroleum Network Inc. Crash (Again) After Yesterday's Bloodbath." So much for needing to beat the computer traders to take advantage of company news. It happened with another stock I own too and less so with practically all stocks I buy on a price drop. Sometimes I sell during the volatility and make a little and sometimes I wait longer and weather the storm.

ANW reminds me of American Ninja Warrior so I like it anyway.

Last edited:
$493,000 is a pretty big bet. Win some, lose some, I guess.

Must not have been 10% of $493K or you'd not still be in 3rd place.

Must not have been 10% of $493K or you'd not still be in 3rd place.

Thanks to the volume restrictions my first attempt to buy was rejected, then I tried again and the price had gone down. That was only for about $200,000. Then I checked the day's low or the closing price for the previous day and placed the second half of the order for about that amount and I got it, so I didn't get the worst of it.

This is the third day in a row that it's crashing and the second time I've seen this in a stock that looked like a good deal on the first day. I may change the way I do things and wait longer next time.

Thanks to the volume restrictions my first attempt to buy was rejected, then I tried again and the price had gone down. That was only for about $200,000. Then I checked the day's low or the closing price for the previous day and placed the second half of the order for about that amount and I got it, so I didn't get the worst of it.

This is the third day in a row that it's crashing and the second time I've seen this in a stock that looked like a good deal on the first day. I may change the way I do things and wait longer next time.

Looks like you've fallen off the horse :(.

Not too late to get back on. But still.... a plop :LOL:.

Last edited:
Looks like you've fallen off the horse :(.

Not too late to get back on. But still.... a plop :LOL:.

If the contest was six months I'd still bet on myself. I'm not so young but three years still seems like forever.

If the contest was six months I'd still bet on myself. I'm not so young but three years still seems like forever.

But isn't the last three years performance pretty much the standard time frame to see if fund managers have the right stuff?

A lot of luck (good and bad) can happen in six months. That's why a three year contest hopefully captures some more accurate ups and downs in both market cycles and individual picking skills.

Look at the bright side, since we are only about 2 months into a 36 month contest, we are just getting started. Unlike 1/3 over if this was a 6 month contest and a sprint. In other words, kidding aside, at this point of the contest, your slip is just a stumble and not a fall.

Last edited:
I thought the contest was a year. It's good, though, that it's longer. Hopefully I won't lose interest!!

Back
Top Bottom