Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

I sold stuff so I could buy more of the stock that caused my fall. I still have faith.

I thought the contest was a year. It's good, though, that it's longer. Hopefully I won't lose interest!!

Unlike the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles. You can check out anytime you like and leave. But hopefully not, as the more the merrier.

I'm going to stay the course as I want to see how my strategy holds up for 3 years.

Last edited:
One of my stocks went up 20% in after hours. Might move me up the board a notch next week if holds.

Exciting because I own it IRL too.

Okay, time for a leader board update since we are about 2 month into the contest.

Rounded, lawrencewendall is on top at +5%. Fermion is at the bottom at -5%.

Our voluntary baseline (total market investor), nunnun is in 4th place.

I'm sitting where I pretty much expected, "no drama easysurfer" in the middle at 7th place.

Then, of course, there's Boho ... up in the lead group a good part of the two months but encountered a recent wipe out, falling to 12th place.

Attachments

• contest update.jpg
    contest update.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Is there a way to configure the email so that I only get notified if a trade fails? I didn't see any granularity.

Is there a way to configure the email so that I only get notified if a trade fails? I didn't see any granularity.

I do not see such a setting.

I don't trade too much, but what I do is have the contest ranking saved as a bookmark on my browser's boomarks toolbar. The rank is just a click away. Then to check failed trades, I click on the 'Trade' link on the left and then click 'Failed Trades". I haven't seen any that failed, but like I said, I don't really trade much.

I know, not as simple as an email notification.

Last edited:
Thanks. I can live with clicking into the failed trades screen.

The failed trades plagued me so far, but I think the problem was that I was doing my trading the morning, and they base what you can trade on the day's volume, which can be really small at the start of the trading day. They really should base it on a rolling total of volume. I did figure out that if I clicked that available volume link (or whatever it's called), it will tell you how much volume is available, but I still occasionally got a failed trade. It would be nice if it would fill it eventually (I put in a market order). Maybe there's a way to do that, but I haven't spent enough time to figure that out.

I've decided to just trade in the afternoon from now on, after much of the day's volume is booked. That way, fewer failed trades to chase-down.

I have the same approach of trading later in the day. I do click on the "show max" option, but no rush to trade at day's open. Prefer now to get a nice shower and breakfast then trade at my own time.

Kindof lost track of that I was in there too after my first failed attempt to load up on shares (due to incomprehensible trade limits). So only had DB, and the rest cash.

Just put in my second attempt, four buys and sell DB. Entered less than half "max" amount, hope it works this time.

If it succeeds you will witness the awesome power of random dart throwing Totoro style.

Last edited:
$1,000,000 invested in VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock) on 3/29/17 would be worth $1,026,508 at 5/27/17 and would be in 4th place.... am I right on that?

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares VTSAX

Sounds about right. Nunnun pretty much pretty much has half VOO (SP500 ETF) and the other half in VTI (Tot Stock ETF) from the start, just letting his portfolio ride with those two ETFs and at the moment he's sitting pretty in 4th place.

Last edited:
I am dead last which is right where I want to be so I can swing to first place. My type of investing is called pendulum trading. If you don't get to last place, you will never be able to swing into first place.

$1,000,000 invested in VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock) on 3/29/17 would be worth $1,026,508 at 5/27/17 and would be in 4th place.... am I right on that?

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares VTSAX
To be in 4th place, someone would have had to join the game at the right moment and take that buy action. The right place and the right time and the decisiveness to pull the trigger will all of that fake money. It ain't nothin'!

I guess my thinking is that these genuises swinging for the fences because it is funy money should be able to beat a benchmark index if they are as smart as they think they are. :D

My thinking is just the opposite... "these geniuses" seem to be running very much like "managed funds", right? To a fund manager, it's funy munny. And we all know those actively managed funds tend to under perform benchmarks. Oh, but wait, we don't have those big fees here, so maybe they've got a chance.

There's a level beyond the big fee funds. Momentum investing is considered too costly for mutual funds but if an investor is willing to do the work himself, and he does it right, it could work. I like to think what I do is too time consuming and results in too few trades for it to be done commercially. It may be that people who know tend to choose something more lucrative. The few who trade like me may not be enough to render my style ineffective.

My splendid arrogant reasoning (why I might outperform professionals) involves investment in smaller, international and longer term opportunities as well as companies under 'collateral damage': e.g. a whole sector/geography goes down usually also hits a few great companies undeservedly. Brexit recently is a good example, the Euro banking crisis was another nice one. Or the exchange rate surge of the Swiss franc.

Thing is: I can't buy them in this contest as most of them have either low volume or international. Oh well ..

Looking at the ranking today, my "no drama passive investing" approach has me inching up sitting happily in 5th place.

Added bonus, portfolio value more than at start of $1M. Not a lot more, but still on the positive side :cool:.

Last edited:
Glancing at the standings, as of this morning Boho has sunk all the way to the bottom at $930,890.30 which is a whole $116,687.94 below lawrencewendall who holds the top spot at $1,047,578.33.

There's still time for a rebound, but if this continues, the contest might have to be renamed "Beat Boho by a Lot" :cool:.

Not sure if RiskyBusinessC2 is from this forum. But if so, welcome to the contest.

Last edited:
"Beat Boho Bigly"

Nice! I like the alliteration.

Kidding aside, Boho was doing so well until he made a big bet of about $500K on one stock that went south instead of north.

From strategy perspective, that's a danger of trying to pick individual stocks vs something like a SP 500 Index fund or total market index fund (or ETF). For the latter, over time there should be a bounce back and the market as a whole tends to go up. But pick a stock that does a dive, there's no guarantee the stock will come back (for example, Enron).

I may have to wait a quarter for it to turn around, but I doubt it. I rose to the middle of the pack two days ago but dropped by the time they refreshed the rankings. It's only 10:00 AM EST and the stock has been up over 7%. I don't know where that would put me but I may take a vacation for a quarter and hold. The one thing I'll change is I'll wait longer than a day after a drop to buy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom