"The World in 2019"

OldShooter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If I were restricted to just one source of news, it would be The Economist magazine. Anyone interested in what's going on in the world would be well-advised to have a look at a copy.

One benefit of a subscription is that every year about this time they publish a sort of forecast issue for the following year. This year, of course, it is "The World in 2019.'

In addition to analysis and forecasts from the magazine staff, the issue is prestigious enough to attract essays from world leaders. For example, this year we have chairman of Tencent, the former president of Liberia, Zeid Ra'ad AL Hussein, the former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Christine Lagarde, head of the World Bank, and more. There is also a clever and insightful piece entitled "Leonardo Da Vinci Visits 2019."

These annual issues are simply a delight for the reader, not necessarily for the ultimate accuracy of the forecasts but for the history, context, and thought processes of the authors. I think most of the people frequenting this forum would enjoy the issue.

https://shop.economist.com/products/the-world-in-2019

I largely agree with this. I've been a subscriber for nearly 40 years.

However, maybe it's me but I've been less enamored of the Economist in the last few years. They seem to have become much more preachy ("X should obviously do Y") and less objective than they used to be.

I subscribed for one year. Each issue is so meaty that I felt like I was studying to be a UN delegate and I started to feel guilty for not fully reading each issue before the next showed up. Given the fluff that passes for news analysis these days, it is in a category all of its own.

... However, maybe it's me but I've been less enamored of the Economist in the last few years. They seem to have become much more preachy ("X should obviously do Y") and less objective than they used to be.
I am not sure I see a trend, but I do see what I think is an English journalistic style that is not afraid to occasionally inject opinions into news stories. I actually prefer it to the American media where bias is more hidden and claimed to not exist.

... I started to feel guilty for not fully reading each issue before the next showed up. ...
You made me laugh. That is exactly my problem. How many evenings a week do I devote? And "It's Friday night, I better finish reading this one as a new issue comes tomorrow."

Yes, I enjoy The Economist also. It's kinda pricey for a regular subscription, but they occasionally run special offers, so I usually wait for one of those before subscribing. As others have said, there is usually way more content than I want to read, but I always find something of interest in each issue.

Yes, I enjoy The Economist also. It's kinda pricey for a regular subscription, but they occasionally run special offers, so I usually wait for one of those before subscribing. ...
Here is something that I learned the hard way: Special offers may be only for the print edition and don't included the digital/download edition. I ended up saving some money, I thought, but ended up without the digital edition which I use when traveling. I had to cancel the "bargain" and pay full price. A hard pill for a cheapskate like me. :LOL:

Do I have to pay $14 to read the article?
I think that buys you a copy of the whole 2019 magazine.

I subscribed for one year. Each issue is so meaty that I felt like I was studying to be a UN delegate and I started to feel guilty for not fully reading each issue before the next showed up. Given the fluff that passes for news analysis these days, it is in a category all of its own.

Back when I was almost a somebody, the Delta Sky Club usually had complimentary copies and I always grabbed one. Great read. I might just subscribe. US news (both printed and OTA/on-line) just sucks. Mostly very shallow, partisan (both sides), and domestically focused.

Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom