Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
ERD50 pretty much said it.

There were delays of up to 2 hours because they closed the interstate. I gave you the scenario after they opened it. I don't want to have to sit there and turn off my heater in 20F cold worrying about range anxiety.

This was a surprise storm. Perhaps the next supercharger was in Lexington. If I left Cincy with not 100% thinking the ride was easy, then ran into this, I'd be a bit panicked. Yes, I understand that 5mph is OK with EV vs. gas since "idle" doesn't matter. Heater does.

Instead, myself and many others just pulled into Loves for some coffee and a refill and were on our way.

Maybe when every Loves and Pilot can charge my car in 10 min I'll be sold. All I'm saying is we are not there yet.

Thanks for the answer. I assure you I have no interest in selling anybody anything. The chargers that Volkswagen have installed and continue to install will charge a battery 4 times faster than a Tesla supercharger. The first vehicle that can handle charging speeds like that will be sold in 2019. Volkswagen makes it.

Using the seat heaters uses far less energy than turning on the heater. In the conditions you describe, I'm sure I'd have the heater on. I believe I can get 5 miles in 2 hours in my 310 range vehicle in Cincinnati weather. But since I have never done it I'm not going to say for sure it can be done. What many have done is have an Ice and a EV, if an Ice car is desired as an option.

Either way I know your not buying an EV. Lots of choices out there for all of us.

Thanks for the answer. I assure you I have no interest in selling anybody anything. The chargers that Volkswagen have installed and continue to install will charge a battery 4 times faster than a Tesla supercharger. The first vehicle that can handle charging speeds like that will be sold in 2019. Volkswagen makes it.

Using the seat heaters uses far less energy than turning on the heater. In the conditions you describe, I'm sure I'd have the heater on. I believe I can get 5 miles in 2 hours in my 310 range vehicle in Cincinnati weather. But since I have never done it I'm not going to say for sure it can be done. What many have done is have an Ice and a EV, if an Ice car is desired as an option.

Either way I know your not buying an EV. Lots of choices out there for all of us.
Mr. Tightwad, it is all good. We're just discussing different points of view regarding tolerance for re-energizing the power source. And I'm not saying an EV car won't ever make it. I'm just saying I don't want the range anxiety and long charge times on cross-country trips, especially with unknowns on the road. Some day, however, the charging will get better and faster with ubiquitous stations, and I'll be in. Or dead. We'll see when that day is. :)

Just to give some info... many years ago Houston had a hurricane coming and a LOT of people decided to leave at the same time... it created probably one of the worst traffic jams in history...

I had a friend who said it took them 8 hours to go 5 miles... most people just turned their car off and sat...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...ds-to-hellish-fatal-6521994.php#photo-5230393

Well, one distinct advantage of an electric over an ICE is during an emergency. Most EV owners keep their vehicle fully charged. (It is habit for me to charge mine every time I drive it). In contrast, most ICE drivers only fill their tanks when are near empty. So in emergency EV drivers can just go rather than fight with crowds trying to find a gas station that hasn't run out of gas.

So I was minding my own business and reading Yahoo news ( I know, its garbage, you don't need to tell me) and what do I find? The entire United Kingdom has banned producing gasoline and diesel cars in 2040. As Skipro pointed out in another thread, California (population 38 million) is working on the same accomplishment.

So we have one company that makes only EV's-Tesla

We have 3 other car companies in various stages of converting to EV only- Jaguar, Volvo and VW.

The UK and CA sending gas cars the way of the dodo bird.

And yet we have posters on this thread who say its too cold or a hurricane may show up and be a problem. Sounds to me like the EV deny'ers and Non EV'ers are going to be forced by their own government to say goodbye to gas powered vehicles. If UK and CA are doing it, how long until its all of the USA?

Enjoy your gas powered vehicles while you can, you might have a couple of decades left, unless the government moves the timelines up.

I'll worry about it in 2040. I have no plans to move to CA.

I guess that makes me a denier, eh? Geez, does every discussion have to use charged language.

Now, as for that topic... People (like ME) have asked, "Yeah, but I have a perfectly good ICE car that I want to run into the ground the next 20 years."

To that, I say -- depending on the political winds -- they will have a "cash for ICE cars" program to get rid of our wonderful ICE contraptions. I can see that happening if the government is aligned for it. Do expect it to be quite a topic, even if EVs reach full potential.

Last edited:
You should have 21 years and a month to drive it into the ground.

And I predict the political winds change in 2024, perhaps 2020, and at that time we adopt the 2040 mandate

As far as gov't taking away my ICE vehicle; to borrow an expression "from my cold dead hands". Oh wait, they'll be nice and warm since I will have the heater cranked!

So I was minding my own business and reading Yahoo news ( I know, its garbage, you don't need to tell me) and what do I find? The entire United Kingdom has banned producing gasoline and diesel cars in 2040. As Skipro pointed out in another thread, California (population 38 million) is working on the same accomplishment.

So we have one company that makes only EV's-Tesla

We have 3 other car companies in various stages of converting to EV only- Jaguar, Volvo and VW.

The UK and CA sending gas cars the way of the dodo bird.

And yet we have posters on this thread who say its too cold or a hurricane may show up and be a problem. Sounds to me like the EV deny'ers and Non EV'ers are going to be forced by their own government to say goodbye to gas powered vehicles. If UK and CA are doing it, how long until its all of the USA?

Enjoy your gas powered vehicles while you can, you might have a couple of decades left, unless the government moves the timelines up.

As has been pointed out many times there is an alternative... called hybrid... some with some range of electric only but then the ICE kicks in and you can go a good way... and surprise, surprise... you can fill the tank quickly and keep driving!!!

They are starting to make many more cars hybrids besides a Prius... I want a nicer car than that...

Of, forgot to put down... by 2040 I expect that all cars will be self driving so I do not care... I will also be old and not want to go long distances by myself so it means nothing to me...

BTW, did anybody see the news where the police pulled someone over in a Tesla who was drunk and asleep at the wheel? They said it took them awhile to think to pull in front of him and slow down so the car would slow on its own!!

.... The entire United Kingdom has banned producing gasoline and diesel cars in 2040. ...

Well, if I can still buy one in 2039, and drive it for 10 years, that's three decades, and I'll be 95, probably won't be buying another car, so I won't worry about that.

Some of these politicians are also legislating 100% renewables by 20xx. They are not engineers.

We will see.

-ERD50

BTW, did anybody see the news where the police pulled someone over in a Tesla who was drunk and asleep at the wheel? They said it took them awhile to think to pull in front of him and slow down so the car would slow on its own!!

Here is an article on it.

I think there is decent chance that without the autopilot there would have been freeway crash at 70 MPH.

I've mentioned before I'll drive my own cars. Not interested in auto pilot. Sounds like crazy talk.

As has been pointed out many times there is an alternative... called hybrid... some with some range of electric only but then the ICE kicks in and you can go a good way... and surprise, surprise... you can fill the tank quickly and keep driving!!!

They are starting to make many more cars hybrids besides a Prius... I want a nicer car than that...

Of, forgot to put down... by 2040 I expect that all cars will be self driving so I do not care... I will also be old and not want to go long distances by myself so it means nothing to me...

No fossil fuel means no hybrid. I did take a long look at the Camry hybrid about a year ago. I think Banaram (sp) has one. 54 mpg on a Camry. Pretty amazing.

....The UK and CA sending gas cars the way of the dodo bird.

Well if there are not enough E cars by the arbitrary deadline, folks can always use their bicycles.

I've mentioned before I'll drive my own cars. Not interested in auto pilot. Sounds like crazy talk.

Maybe, but Big Brother will mandate that too. Don’t worry, it is for our own good. Or so they’ll say...

I am not happy unless I at least have access to a V8 engine. There’s nothing like the sound of a smooth running American V8 to these ears. My everyday car is a turbo 4 cylinder but the GTO in the garage satisfies the carnal needs. :dance:

My favorite were the Tesla dealers in China telling prospective buyers that the autopilot was good enough to let the driver just kick back and read a newspaper...

A recent article on CNN pointed out that plug-in EVs (Volt, etc.) didn't sell as well as expected....people are either buying "pure" EVs (Tesla) or hybrids.

My favorite were the Tesla dealers in China telling prospective buyers that the autopilot was good enough to let the driver just kick back and read a newspaper...

Chinese car buyers are gullible, or Chinese car dealers unscrupulous? Or both?

PS. Note that after this Chinese accident, there was another similar accident in the US where a Tesla on autopilot drove straight into a red fire truck on the freeway, in daylight and in clear weather. The car driver was able to walk away this time, however.

Tesla-Model-3-crash-380.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe, but Big Brother will mandate that too. Don’t worry, it is for our own good. Or so they’ll say...

I am not happy unless I at least have access to a V8 engine. There’s nothing like the sound of a smooth running American V8 to these ears. My everyday car is a turbo 4 cylinder but the GTO in the garage satisfies the carnal needs. :dance:

Yes the big brother mandates are coming. We agree on that.

We are polar opposites on engine noise. I like the silence I have. I voice command my music and navigation. Not a sound otherwise, unless road or wind noise disturbs you.

We are picking up a Model 3 on Tuesday. I posted a note about the purchase in the Tesla Motors Forum and now all of these people are coming out of the woodwork trying to get me to use their referral code. The last email I received offered me $300 if I use his code. I know I get the benefit of six months of free supercharger usage (which Tesla already offered us anyway), but what do the Tesla owners get that would make it worth throwing me $300 just to use their code?

We are polar opposites on engine noise. I like the silence I have. I voice command my music and navigation. Not a sound otherwise, unless road or wind noise disturbs you.

I really question how much of an issue engine noise is at cruising speed. I made a point to try to notice it a while back, and it seemed to me that by far the noise I heard was road/tire/wind noise. While you're accelerating, sure, you hear an ICE then, but that's a small % of the time, unless you are channeling Mario Andretti.

Maybe I'll make a better test if I'm at 55 mph on a very open road and experiment with shutting off the engine (I did a preliminary test, my push-button 'key' does ask "are you sure?" if you try to turn off the engine while driving). I guess just going to neutral should do it, an idling engine makes near zero noise in the car.

I recall reading about electric riding mowers, thinking a benefit would be less noise. But reviewers said that almost all the noise is the mower.

At any rate, a friend just emailed me that he's taking delivery of a Model S before year end (so should get the tax rebate). He's a car guy, I would not be surprised if he trades it for something else in a few years, no reflection on the vehicle, it's just what he does, likes to try something new. So I should get some up-close and personal time soon.

-ERD50

Last edited:
No fossil fuel means no hybrid. I did take a long look at the Camry hybrid about a year ago. I think Banaram (sp) has one. 54 mpg on a Camry. Pretty amazing.

I know... but why require 100% electric when a good hybrid will give say 70% to 80% of the benefits (heck, maybe 90) and the downsides of electric go away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom