What is your favorite growth stock?

In this context it makes no sense. Indexing would have no way to defeat this if it were in fact true. ...
I think the problem is that it is a useful model but it is not exact. indexing (or pretty much any broad buy and hold strategy) works because the market price distribution center is not exactly at zero -- the usual simplification for Gaussian distributions. Depending on whether you want constant dollars or nominal dollars and depending on the time period you measure, you get maybe a 5-10% upward drift per year. Then there are the other factors those linked articles mention which also mean the zero-sum model is not exact.

It's like saying that market prices are random. It's a very useful model but it is not exactly correct. For example, complete randomness would not allow momentum -- which exists.

So assuming zero-sum and randomness is IMO a practical way to look at the market and is highly consistent with the data but the assumption is not accurate to lots of decimal places. That is before we even start talking about price noise.

Works for me, anyway. Maybe not for everyone.

As I said, not sure I have a single favorite stock but SNAPCHAT (SNAP) has been one that I like a lot. I just began buying this Jan/Feb/Mar (Most between 10 and 14 in March). I added more in July at 22.

It is trading at 35 (up 24% just today ) after hours reflecting blockbuster earnings. I still like it.

Back
Top Bottom