When to buyback?

If you sold all equities due to fear of a crash, you deserve the pain of sitting on the sidelines wondering when to “ get back in”, and the lost bounce you’ll miss as you procrastinate.

Market timing, which is exactly what this is, is a fools errand.

+1. I built my 50/50 diversified portfolio with exposure to some 18,000 securities globally specifically so that I would not feel any need to lift a pinky when the next big one comes, except for scheduled rebalancing. I’m surprised to see so many seasoned investors here on fire while chasing this and that.

On the other hand, I don’t have much to buy with anyway, because I don’t keep a lot of cash sitting around besides an emergency fund like they must. I don’t get that either, honestly. Why would you build a big pile of zero-return cash during a raging bull and then blow it all trying to time the bottom? Just let it grow long term rather than gambling.

I keep hoping someone will post that graphic I’ve seen here before showing how people trying to time the stock market always seem to act at precisely the wrong time. To each their own.

I keep hoping someone will post that graphic I’ve seen here before showing how people trying to time the stock market always seem to act at precisely the wrong time. To each their own.

This one showing "Investor Psychology?

Attachments

• investor-psychology-illustrated.gif
    investor-psychology-illustrated.gif
    65.3 KB · Views: 46
If you sold all equities due to fear of a crash, you deserve the pain of sitting on the sidelines wondering when to “ get back in”, and the lost bounce you’ll miss as you procrastinate.

“Deserve the pain”? What pain? The run up prior to the current crisis was staggering. I retired and actually had the portfolio grow even thought we lived off it. Even if I don’t buy back for years I am ahead of the game.

I didn’t sell because of fear of a crash I had no idea I just felt comfortable capturing historic gains.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe it will be true one day.

Kind of harsh Steevo. There are people of all walks of life and all different types of risk profiles here. And yes, I did go to cash for the large majority of my investments at Dow 28,000 and I don't regret it for a second. I didn't buy this recent bounce because I don't think we hit bottom yet and I personally believe we will test the lows again. So that's on me, if I miss it, I miss it and can only blame myself.

I call it keeping my powder dry, not market timing and like I said, all of us are at different places and this works well for me. I have certain targets that I am going to start dollar cost averaging into them if they happen. If not, I will re-adjust.

Back
Top Bottom