A road trip through some of the South

The only place that I can think of that has a historically accurate plantation is Williamsburg, VA. A really interesting and beautiful historically preserved town.

Any suggestions for a historically accurate Southern plantation site I can tour?

Either the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home or Belle Meade Mansion--both in Nashville. Both are 100% restored.

There's another incredible mansion across the road from the GM Spring Hill factory called Rippavilla. It has a great history--35 miles south of Nashville.

All are open to the public, and can be seen online.

Michael, which is destined to reach hurricane status, is the next southern weather threat during the week ahead. I can see Michael making landfall with winds stronger than Florence did, but Michael should be moving more rapidly and consequently produce less flooding.

Saving the best game day experience for last. Good call!
Outside the game outcome, had a good time. Amazed at the physical size of the campus property. By far largest I’ve seen. Preferred other sites for game day atmosphere - Uga, Al, LSU.

Outside the game outcome, had a good time. Amazed at the physical size of the campus property. By far largest I’ve seen. Preferred other sites for game day atmosphere - Uga, Al, LSU.
We were there also. Kentucky certainly has a good defense. You know about The 12th Man and Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. Hope you were able to experience Midnight Yell Practice.

And hope you were among the Kentucky fans I congratulated and wished a great rest of season.

The only place that I can think of that has a historically accurate plantation is Williamsburg, VA. A really interesting and beautiful historically preserved town.
That's not a bad suggestion.

The thing I've seen about this subject is that it appears to me there was an movement about 130 years ago or so to erase the historical artifacts of enslaved people. So, you can go to some of these plantations and it is mentioned, but the buildings and living conditions are erased. As I recall, parts of Williamsburg have tried to restore that to give you some idea.

In central NC, there is the Duke Homestead and the House in the Horseshoe. Both qualify as plantations, complete with many enslaved people. However, the historical emphasis is on other topics (Duke: tobacco, Horseshoe: revolutionary war). Both are still worthwhile visits. There also has been a movement recently to be more honest with the pre-civil war history.

I'm short in details but in '78 I toured a plantation that still had a working circle sawmill. They cut softwood and mixed local hardwoods from the area. Not sure if the mill was pre-war as I thought it was powered by a farm tractor. We went South of Memphis an hour or so, into Mississippi.

The place was a pre-civil war plantation and there were some, what were claimed to be, slave quarters. I don't think they were furnished in any way. Seems like they were upstairs over a huge kitchen. Not anyplace I'd like to be in the summer in Mississippi.

Sorry no names or other details come back. I was in a lumber class in Memphis and this was a day trip the class took.

Last edited:
I'm back from the road trip to parts of the South Easyern USA.

I want to thank all those who offered advice. We could not do everything as time ran out. Also, those darn hurricanes forced a few last minute changes to our plans. I want to especially thank those who tipped me off to the Natchez Trace drive. It was the highlight of the trip, IMHO. 444 miles of scenic highway with no commercial vehicles, no stop signs, and no stop lights. We did stop frequently to take some hikes as well as visit some historical sites such as the grave of Meriwether Lewis (of Lewis and Clark).

The Hermitage near Nashville was a wonderful visit. Old Andy Jackson was quite a guy, assuming one was a white American - Africans and Native Americans undoubtedly have a much different view. It gave us a good idea of what a plantation was like - the good and the bad. The Nashville music scene was a hoot, however, neither of us are the type who go in for drinking, loud music, hooting, drinking more, hollering, and drinking even more. But, it was fun to watch.

We had hoped to take in some Fall colour on our drive, but unseasonably warm weather delayed the color by several weeks. But, we did some some spectacular Fall colors driving home through the SouthWest and Utah.

Thanks again to all who gave advice.

Last edited:
Partially true at best. It's been a few years since I drove much on the south end so I'll have to take your word on that. On the north end it's not true. There's only one overlook I know of that they've let grow over, at about MP 3. In the last 2 years they totally cleared out another one that used to be blocked (MP 13), and now has a great view. I can also recall running by another and they were below the overlook clearing out some trees that were just starting to block it. I think the northern most 13 miles of the parkway have been views than the southern end of Skyline Dr, but that's just my opinion.
Follow up on parkway overlooks. As an overlook maintainer, I just got this email.

==================
Fall Vista Restoration
8x-1dxzpFGDfoNWNL4cCR0RUV8bu1JZek-8dmJw7TLFwVhxKA7-Jb7NtHpKNzU4zy0-2BdgnIh-hLM9H__thrNr0PqBrQnapmp4=s0-d-e1-ft
This fall, crews restored 26 vistas between mileposts 49 and 74 in Virginia.
This highly technical work is done by an all National Park Service crew of arborists that come from as far away as Acadia National Park to help restore the Parkway's views. Their work is well orchestrated and very impressive to watch!
The team is directed by Blue Ridge Parkway's resident landscape architect, David Anderson.

NDsz31X8FCQ8a9-1h5NWo3MXe8oIdn2fIy0P9P6IyBLIkNUihGr7doqWUPzQX8qQGYKfaRNDaAfsSniNuJJ24oNiiZ3RWB1dbtMmI6Va5N7uiI4b6_cmX70rMkUP__Ghv4CzXAT2fVk=s0-d-e1-ft

qd2-nU0Sei1t3cdbOcnxnsVH1O1PBCmgAE99GL-tKI_bogoJrmzGs7urYIR3BCoqNk5m2-6Z-K11LM9sTjrWf6aCQ57BTPboyM_FjoS2TZFXrHeD-fOi1XsB30v0BLjVZEFW5sDAuU4=s0-d-e1-ft
-JddCATb5yfAr5ft_7Jsjv0van0QNUcIUkurVjzUyeKvpDIH1fv_M-lAcVcG-Z0vHqLk1AZ_QnWddYMFURWKcdx8O0Nyvrrf76ZgIA-MYs8JEKsX754WPR88TO-k7tSWVfztMer9Vvs=s0-d-e1-ft

h2Juml6YrMxZufZ2LgS6PSUzfdpL-5AvRqoOTVlo8xeLSj6FKsG8pGluvQ_Bk1fiUAx2OBjht7RJO7ugHBWy0obwy0Ji_xG51x-qWSCSMHUyDj_LvmDBal19diqJrcd3cxq_bOnCHys=s0-d-e1-ft

mKWrM_xeVqLcFJLKintRmZOQ9eoLBKrP4mNN-bp6LbUii2tM7pZX6WTwNuHcDKnqLU_8elH-cYyDoDHjq1jjXtGJMI64dq3iLBBPG1lWDL7j7AaJjFb6FYRiR4LFLtk4peo892hnW54=s0-d-e1-ft

Before and After Pictures:

c0kXzpBq1BSlqNLanH-PWo2LpSLmDuTQd6H4b4cUMxHyE2MCJv-VSkhOSBnoaxKIV0Y8QfBvbQYaAu94DHbCM-wG_qyu7QsXcB42rHmScLuu-4LEuy0U7qCoGfRauDVsU_eDMP5SY6w=s0-d-e1-ft

INfrCVWn0s1c2yAZMjbHYE7AREHDzGgI9wNzt1UnpKsQvZWPgD2wEfsQw8150-m5PIKiXQ3v3mVVtlnfpnIzQL3p_JTEV1NIOtHF-g7RdWOAkWmeD-VZeZMDx6XL4l4q7QHtJ_H0NaY=s0-d-e1-ft

kf-tWSCrj68gCZAHA8VCIKCG5qSSVeFFLQzVQhM0ocaEvaywN5BZoMsEFLgb5zMb7gJfCGuezJTzhN9NUR91dKtlLZNTI3NBqOy0LlmuMkdhmLhMNrPDiX5ZDfsas14tm0fKOWj9WMY=s0-d-e1-ft

BkeMVLTXS5V3R_7ikEWtfdDS6d5x7kVFGBsScSnoDE5mQQwlzlJG2jBru1ghKZ3xnpsmd4jTqOU5NIuXUv_IigZNubhVFJtxMHq2G9NGoLBTc7MhO7nj2dJwjFdV7w56XEKruykmHEs=s0-d-e1-ft

Did you know?
The restoration work is made possible by funds from the Virginia license plate program. Do you have one, yet?

More info: https://www.friendsbrp.org/fall-2018-vista-restoration-project-in-virginia-visit-to-nearby-cemetery/
======================

So it sounds like they realize overlooks have gotten overgrown, and now are doing something about it. I'm guessing they're moving north to south. As I said, the one near me at MP 13 was cleared a couple years ago.

I don't know if this is Virginia only, or if they'll do the NC overlooks as well.

No, Texas is not the South. This would annoy BOTH Southerners AND Texans.

I would include MS Gulf Coast, LA, Nanahala River Valley in TN and NC, Mountains, etc.

The Natchez Trace Parkway is outstanding if you're not in a hurry! Stop for a night in Natchez, MS.

If one's looking for southern mansions, the Mississippi River Delta was where so many were built. Unfortunately so many were lost in flooding of The River. There are still many plantations south of Memphis where the owners still live quite charmed lives. Prior to the industrial revolution, the richest people in the U.S. were Mississippi planters and landowners.

Many other great southern mansions are along the Natchez Trace. I'm talking about Natchez, Holly Springs, MS (outside Memphis), Columbia and Franklin, Tennessee. At the time those farms were started, they'd just run the Indians out of West Tennessee and the Miss. River was about the end of civilization and rail lines.

We live 10 miles from the Natchez Trace, and antebellum society was a big part of my ancestors' lives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom