Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda excited.

I just returned from a two-week trip to Japan. A 9 nights cruise, the rest of it was mostly travel time. So I'm sitting here watching the Miami / VT game which is sort of a blowout and I got an urge to go online and see what it would be like to cruise Australia. I have one on hold until November 7th. It's Australia and Tasmania, 8 nights. And I'm getting kind of giddy again. In a way I feel guilty for taking three major trips outside the US in less than a year. But in another way I kind of feel like I deserve it. Eager for input.

It would take 2 months disposable cash. That's how cheap it all is ... that is all except the hotels. I will probably splurge on almost a week before the cruise at a Hyatt. Would you do it?

If the thought of this trip excites you and you can afford it, go for it! Nobody cares how many major trips abroad you have taken in a year. Next year, you could develop some horrible fatal illness (as one of my friends recently did). Carpe diem!

Kinda excited.

I just returned from a two-week trip to Japan. A 9 nights cruise, the rest of it was mostly travel time. So I'm sitting here watching the Miami / VT game which is sort of a blowout and I got an urge to go online and see what it would be like to cruise Australia. I have one on hold until November 7th. It's Australia and Tasmania, 8 nights. And I'm getting kind of giddy again. In a way I feel guilty for taking three major trips outside the US in less than a year. But in another way I kind of feel like I deserve it. Eager for input.

It would take 2 months disposable cash. That's how cheap it all is ... that is all except the hotels. I will probably splurge on almost a week before the cruise at a Hyatt. Would you do it?

In retirement, usually if I want something discretionary I save up the disposable cash first, and then buy it. There will be lots more trip offers and special deals later, too. I am excited for you, though! It sounds like you are having great fun traveling in retirement.

Traveling is not at all my cup of tea, and I am so thrilled and relieved that I can stay home and not travel these days.

WE are doing more travel then ever having lost 3 friends between the ages of 59-67. Take the trip:))

Go!

Kinda excited.

I got an urge to go online and see what it would be like to cruise Australia. I have one on hold until November 7th. It's Australia and Tasmania, 8 nights. And I'm getting kind of giddy again. In a way I feel guilty for taking three major trips outside the US in less than a year. But in another way I kind of feel like I deserve it. Eager for input.

I think I looked at the same cruise on V2G and almost pulled the trigger on it myself, which would have forced me to accelerate my ER plans.

That is a beautiful part of the world. Some places, think Sydney and Melbourne area, will be quite hot in Jan. and Feb. I am fine with this; but, I know many people do not like the heat.

DW and I are currently doing two longish (3-4 week) trips a year - 2018 is already booked and we have plans for 2019. We recently talked about making a list of all the places we want to visit and putting them in priority order, as who knows for how long we'll be able to keep this up. We might start doing three a year, but I'm not sure we want to do that.

If you go consider renting a car and spending time along the Great Ocean Road.
It is wonderful.

We match our bucket list against the seasons. So...we want to be in a warm climate during our cold winters. We prefer to go to places like Greece and Turkey in late Sept/Oct when the weather is cooler and less tourists.

We also match our bucket list with currency fluctuations,, with last minute travel offers/specials, and with a view to combining destinations when it makes sense. Despite doing this for the past four years our list continues to grow in part because we want to return to some areas.

Kinda excited.

It's up to you, but here's my two cents..Sometimes people want to travel but don't have the time or money..sometimes people finally have the time and money and no longer feel like traveling. If you have the time and the money and the desire, that great and there's no reason to stay home.

As a general rule, I do 1-2 "away" vacations each year of 1 week each (I'm still working FT).

I've already done Vegas (spring) and Aruba this year, but I'm seriously considering going and doing a liveaboard dive trip over Christmas later this year (probably in the Bahamas). I didn't budget for it, and it would be nice to stick around to spend the holidays with my parents since I don't think my siblings will be here for them this year, but every time I think about it I keep coming back to "I'd like to go"...

As a general rule, I do 1-2 "away" vacations each year of 1 week each (I'm still working FT).

I've already done Vegas (spring) and Aruba this year, but I'm seriously considering going and doing a liveaboard dive trip over Christmas later this year (probably in the Bahamas). I didn't budget for it, and it would be nice to stick around to spend the holidays with my parents since I don't think my siblings will be here for them this year, but every time I think about it I keep coming back to "I'd like to go"...

That’s a tough one. Have you talked with your parents about it? Perhaps they would really miss you at a Christmas, or perhaps they would enjoy having no pressure to entertain for a change. One thing us for sure: they won’t be around forever. If you get along well with your parents, it’s good to spend time with them while you can.

That’s a tough one. Have you talked with your parents about it? Perhaps they would really miss you at a Christmas, or perhaps they would enjoy having no pressure to entertain for a change. One thing us for sure: they won’t be around forever. If you get along well with your parents, it’s good to spend time with them while you can.

I mentioned it to them, and they (well my mom, dad didn't really say anything about the possibility) seem to support going. They live ~30 minutes away from me so I visit with them generally once a week or so.

Kinda excited.

Oh, most definitely yes. At some point you won’t want to or be able to, but not yet. Go for it.

I just saw a travel service that provides guides and kayaks for kayaking down melting glaciers in Alaska. That is strengthening my desire to get to Alaska.

Booked a few weeks to New Zealand over the Christmas period. Really looking forward to it.

Booked it. 8 night cruise + reserving 5 nights in Sydney on my own. It will autopay Dec 17th so my Vaca account will be down to 12k at that time. My comfort zone is 10k in that account

I zip lined in Alaska 2 yrs in a row and love it up there :)

Booked it. 8 night cruise + reserving 5 nights in Sydney on my own. It will autopay Dec 17th so my Vaca account will be down to 12k at that time. My comfort zone is 10k in that account

Going to Sydney and Melbourne again at the end of January.

This time only 3 days in Sydney but I will be north of the Harbour Bridge to get some night shots of the skyline and Opera House from north of the Harbor.

Will be also driving the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne.

Good for you! Well expect a full travel report in due course!

You are inspiring me to think about going Down Under. Maybe next year.

Heading to Malawi for two weeks at the beginning of December. Hopefully a chance to load up on sun and warmth before the winter.

Booked a few weeks to New Zealand over the Christmas period. Really looking forward to it.

Have you ever been to NZ? DW and I can count on two fingers the places we’ve gone back to for a second time.

NZ will be the third. Fabulous part of the world!

Have you ever been to NZ? DW and I can count on two fingers the places we’ve gone back to for a second time.

NZ will be the third. Fabulous part of the world!

I just made the final payment yesterday for a trip to India and Nepal with Overseas Adventure Travel in March. I've been to India on business a few times and am REALLY looking forward to going back. My Aunt is also taking the tour. It should be fun!

On our way home on a trans Atlantic cruise. Stopped in Valencia Spain. Beautiful, went on 2 hour bike ride then wine and tapas €1.50. Then went to store and got 3 boxed wines and 4 beers for €4.88. Brought them back to the ship.

Cannot wait until Jan. Just booked a quick last minute AI to Puerto Vallarta for a week.

We are probably going to go on the dreaded guided tour to Ireland in the spring, with some family members in their eighties who now need that sort of trip and who we want to get there to their homeland. I am actually looking forward to it as we've never been there and probably wouldn't go next year otherwise and as I said to DH, we can always go back on our own whenever we want. It will be an adventure to see how this style of traveling shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom