Bar Harbor Maine

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thinking of doing 2 or 3 days in Bar harbor Maine,any one got any recommendations for a centrally located and reasonably priced hotel/motel,also any must see places to visit while we are there?
thanks

It's been too long for me to recommend a hotel, we stayed at a B&B. Beautiful area, town was a little touristy but not too bad (Boothbay was awful re:touristy). Highlights of our trip were definitely Acadia and going on a whale watch. We were at BH for 4 days and spent part of 3 of them at Acadia though it wasn't planned that way. The bar itself is interesting, seeing it appear and disappear. Hope you have a great visit in Baa Habaa...

DH and I went there years ago. We took a sail boat tour out of Bar Harbor and loved it. It's been so long I forget the name of the hotel, but it was "downtown" and close to all the shops and restaurants, which was nice.

... spent part of 3 of them at Acadia though it wasn't planned that way...

We drove around Acadia for a bit of sightseeing, then stopped for a picnic. I don't recall the time of year, but remember the mosquitoes were such that we ate our sandwich inside the car!

My SIL lives near there, so we went up and stayed in I think the same hotel. Things to do: Hiking in Acadia Nat'l Park (around the lake, up the highest hill there), whale watching, hiking around town, do the lobster boat thing, nature tours with the rangers, there is a lobster hatchery/research/science/aquarium place. And then the other lobster place and the other lobster place.

We went in blueberry season, so we ate alot of wild blueberries. Blueberry pancakes, blueberry ice cream, blueberry muffins. I love blueberries!

Sometimes cruise ships dock in Bar Harbor and then the town is packed and prices go up noticably.

Sometimes cruise ships dock in Bar Harbor and then the town is packed and prices go up noticably.

I would bet the locals have a love-hate relationship with these cruise ships. They hate dealing with the crowds they bring, but they love the boost to the local economy. Probably like those towns on the Alaska Inside Passage.

I would bet the locals have a love-hate relationship with these cruise ships. They hate dealing with the crowds they bring, but they love the boost to the local economy. Probably like those towns on the Alaska Inside Passage.

Ayup. Those 23 jewelry stores in Skagway are probably a lot less crowded when the cruise ships aren't around and the local population of 800 has them all to themselves.

Folks in SouthEast Alaska surely do love their jewelry. :rolleyes:

Please post about the trip and the motel.
I had planned to go to Arcadia as part of a larger trip but then DH broke his leg and we had to postpone it all.
But next summer we will go!

Take a trip up Cadillac Mountain which is the highest point on the east coast of North America. Bring a jacket since it tends to be windy and cold up there.

In the park, visit Thunder Hole. If you have kids, or if you are interested yourself, there is also an Oceanarium in Bar Harbor that is worth visiting. The Oceanarium, Southwest Harbor, Bar Harbor Maine

There are also lobster boats that can take you out on private tours.

Have fun!

We spent two days in Bar Harbor in June. We came across a lovely B&B Right on the bay called the Saltair Inn. Not far from downtown, close to the sandbar. It was the perfect place for us after a week on a windjammer. The room was spacious and the bed oh so comfy. A great view of the Bay to boot. The owners are a young couple who kind and helpful. I definately recommend it if it's in your price range -check out their web site.
We had time to walk around town and do the entire Park loop (The B&B lent us a Cd tour of the park) Stoppping all along the way including but not limited to Cadilac mountain and popovers at Jordon Pond. We walked over the sand bar at low tide and climb to the top of the island for a view of the harbor. We also enjoyed driving around the other side of the island. Biggest surprise was The Zen Garden inside the Asticou Azelia Garden . (Near the Asticou Inn).

Please post about the trip and the motel.
I had planned to go to Arcadia as part of a larger trip but then DH broke his leg and we had to postpone it all.
But next summer we will go!

Beautiful area but wished i'd gone in September rather than August as everything and everywhere was packed,we stayed at the Anchorage Hotel on Mt Desert Rd, it was $119 a night and was a five minute walk to downtown,traffic coming into the island was akin to a 30 mile traffic jam,walking around downtown Bar Harbor was at a snails pace due to the amount of people,most restaurants had lineups to get in if you came after 6pm,we tried to go to several places around the island but ended up waiting in a line of traffic to get a parking space,next time i go i'll take the public transit buses that seem to go everywhere.on our final morning there we thought we would head up to Cadillac mountain to see the sunrise and thought we would be free of traffic at 5am,no way as we followed about 30 cars up the mountain to be engulfed in fog:whistle: this is all we saw from the top
img_844941_0_33095341019598571a41c391b16cea16.jpg

Beautiful area but wished i'd gone in September rather than August as everything and everywhere was packed,we stayed at the Anchorage Hotel on Mt Desert Rd, it was $119 a night and was a five minute walk to downtown,traffic coming into the island was akin to a 30 mile traffic jam,walking around downtown Bar Harbor was at a snails pace due to the amount of people,most restaurants had lineups to get in if you came after 6pm,we tried to go to several places around the island but ended up waiting in a line of traffic to get a parking space,next time i go i'll take the public transit buses that seem to go everywhere.on our final morning there we thought we would head up to Cadillac mountain to see the sunrise and thought we would be free of traffic at 5am,no way as we followed about 30 cars up the mountain to be engulfed in fog:whistle: this is all we saw from the top
img_845071_0_33095341019598571a41c391b16cea16.jpg

Bummer, jambo. Let me clear that up for you:

There is a back way on to the island from Ellsworth. PM me if you want to know how to do it and avoid the 35 minute traffic jam.

Z

We are traveling up the east coast this summer. The whole summer. Our destination is the coast of Maine, in time for the lobster festivals there (August). In, 2007, we spent a month in Ellsworth.

I was thinking of taking a trip with my 14 year old daughter this summer up into Maine and perhaps Vermont & New Hampshire. Other than Bar Harbor, what else would you recommend seeing?

We are planning on going to to the "Lobster Festival" in Rockwood, Maine August 4-8.

Last edited:
I was thinking of taking a trip with my 14 year old daughter this summer up into Maine and perhaps Vermont & New Hampshire. Other than Bar Harbor, what else would you recommend seeing?

Camden is a lovely little town on the water with nice restaurants and shops. It can easily be on the way to Bar Harbor.

Also, I'm assuming that if you're going to Bar Harbor you will visit Acadia National Park. If so, be sure to stop at Jordan Pond and have a meal or a snack at the restaurant there. It has breathtaking views, a beautifully landscaped area, and fabulous popovers.

For the past ten years, we have rented a place in Damariscotta, Maine for two weeks every summer. Here is a list of things that I would recommend, going north from Portland to Bar Harbor on Route 1:

1. Go to the gigantic L.L. Bean store in Freeport, as well as some of the other clothing outlets on the main street. We don't go anymore, but it is a shopping experience not to be missed by a 14 year old girl.

2. Go to Orr's and Bailey's Islands in Casco Bay (yes, you can drive there). Have lunch at Cook's Lobster House on Baileys Island. If you don't sit outside, get a table with a view of the famous Bailey's Island Bridge, the only cribstone bridge in the world (over which you will have driven to get there).

3. Stop in Wiscasset, Maine and shop in all the antique and used book stores and art galleries. You might be tempted by a lobster roll from Red's, but Sarah's across the road is a better place to eat.

4. Go to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens: Discover Spectacular Gardens and Waterfront Landscapes on 250 Acres in Boothbay, Maine - Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens You might visit Boothbay Harbor while you are there (we think it is kitschy and prefer Camden instead)

5. Damariscotta has a nice downtown shopping area. The Coastal Maine Book Store is a great independent book store. A good meal can be had at the Damariscotta River Grill or, if you've not yet had your fill of them, go to Larson's Lunch Box for a lobster roll. We think they're the best in Maine. Drive down the peninsula to Pemaquid Light, which is one of the most picturesque lighthouses on the Maine coast.

6. Stop at Moody's Diner in Waldoboro for the blueberry pie. http://www.moodysdiner.com/

7. Stop in Rockland and take a windjammer day cruise on Penobscot Bay. Look online as there are a variety of choices. While you're there, visit the Farnsworth Art Museum, particularly if you are fans of Andrew Wyeth. Farnsworth Art Museum | Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art You might also enjoy a drive/hike out to Owl's Head light, which has got to be the best base housing in the Coast Guard. Owl's Head Lighthouse, Owl's Head, Maine

8. Go to Camden, which I think is one of the most beautiful towns in existence. Hike up Mount Megunticook, in Camden Hills State Park for a spectacular view of town (you can start on the trail right from downtown) or drive out five minutes and climb the trail to the Maiden Cliff on the other side of the mountain. Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands - Search for Parks and Properties When you get back down, have lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant. http://www.waterfrontcamden.com/

There is a lot more to do in Maine, but for the part between Portland and Bar Harbor, I think these are the best.

Have a great trip!

Attachments

• 9b7bd3ba434c3eba-1.jpeg
    9b7bd3ba434c3eba-1.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 146
An enthusiastic +1 for this list! I've been to most of these places and wholeheartedly agree, right down to the Waterfront Restaurant in Camden. And Damariscotta is a nice, quiet little town that doesn't seem to suffer from the same tourist crowds as some of the more well-known Maine waterfront towns.

And, I just thought of one more town to visit: Kennebunkport. A busy and active, scenic little town and home of the senior George Bush. If you're so inclined, you can drive past his home.

For the past ten years, we have rented a place in Damariscotta, Maine for two weeks every summer. Here is a list of things that I would recommend, going north from Portland to Bar Harbor on Route 1:

1. Go to the gigantic L.L. Bean store in Freeport, as well as some of the other clothing outlets on the main street. We don't go anymore, but it is a shopping experience not to be missed by a 14 year old girl.

2. Go to Orr's and Bailey's Islands in Casco Bay (yes, you can drive there). Have lunch at Cook's Lobster House on Baileys Island. If you don't sit outside, get a table with a view of the famous Bailey's Island Bridge, the only cribstone bridge in the world (over which you will have driven to get there).

3. Stop in Wiscasset, Maine and shop in all the antique and used book stores and art galleries. You might be tempted by a lobster roll from Red's, but Sarah's across the road is a better place to eat.

4. Go to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens: Discover Spectacular Gardens and Waterfront Landscapes on 250 Acres in Boothbay, Maine - Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens You might visit Boothbay Harbor while you are there (we think it is kitschy and prefer Camden instead)

5. Damariscotta has a nice downtown shopping area. The Coastal Maine Book Store is a great independent book store. A good meal can be had at the Damariscotta River Grill or, if you've not yet had your fill of them, go to Larson's Lunch Box for a lobster roll. We think they're the best in Maine. Drive down the peninsula to Pemaquid Light, which is one of the most picturesque lighthouses on the Maine coast.

6. Stop at Moody's Diner in Waldoboro for the blueberry pie. http://www.moodysdiner.com/

7. Stop in Rockland and take a windjammer day cruise on Penobscot Bay. Look online as there are a variety of choices. While you're there, visit the Farnsworth Art Museum, particularly if you are fans of Andrew Wyeth. Farnsworth Art Museum | Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art You might also enjoy a drive/hike out to Owl's Head light, which has got to be the best base housing in the Coast Guard. Owl's Head Lighthouse, Owl's Head, Maine

8. Go to Camden, which I think is one of the most beautiful towns in existence. Hike up Mount Megunticook, in Camden Hills State Park for a spectacular view of town (you can start on the trail right from downtown) or drive out five minutes and climb the trail to the Maiden Cliff on the other side of the mountain. Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands - Search for Parks and Properties When you get back down, have lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant. http://www.waterfrontcamden.com/

There is a lot more to do in Maine, but for the part between Portland and Bar Harbor, I think these are the best.

Have a great trip!

Great recommendations Gumby! Item #2 is a "don't miss"... If you use IPASS (tollways) in your area - bring it along. After the height of Summer is a great time to hit the area (for those reading this thread and interested in visiting the area). You'll pay top dollar for hotels located by the beach and a lot of them are "older" and touristy. We stayed out by the highway in a relatively newer Holiday Inn Express in Freeport. You can check it out on line (http://www.hiexpress.com). Middle of the week is much cheaper than weekends. I used points for the rooms, so nites were free.

Thank you for this list!
We are really (see post #10) going this year for one week in August and I am collecting all info I can get to make the most of it.

Hi, You might want to think about staying in Ellsworth. Only a short distance away with many ammenities and much more resonable hotel rates.

Back
Top Bottom