Car trip without hotel reservations beforehand?

PSA don't ever try this in Moab or Springdale Utah, you will end up sleeping on the sidewalk.

PSA don't ever try this in Moab or Springdale Utah, you will end up sleeping on the sidewalk.

In some European cities, my favorite hotels are usually fully booked or close to it, most of the time. I always make reservations directly with them as early as I can.

Here in the US, it's much easier to make reservations at the last minute, since I'm a dedicated Hampton Inn (or equivalent) customer.

A few years ago, around the 4th of July time, we were driving in upper Michigan. We decided to not book a hotel for just one night because we were not sure where we might be staying. That proved to be a mistake, as we could not find a hotel on expedia.com. We could not even find a camping site as they required memberships. We finally drove into a resort town and check hotels one by one, eventually found a room that was freed up at the last minutes for more than $300. We were seriously afraid that we might not find a room at that night.

A few years ago, around the 4th of July time, we were driving in upper Michigan. We decided to not book a hotel for just one night because we were not sure where we might be staying. That proved to be a mistake, as we could not find a hotel.

Big holiday weekends can be a problem in that regard, as can any weekend in June due to graduations and weddings.

On driving trips, we just start poking around online around 3 or 4pm. At that point, we could stop at 5 or 7pm to eat and sleep. It's not about a favorite hotel or chain when we're on the road, it's about "good enough" (clean). We sometimes try the "exit guide"... calling ahead asking if they'll take the coupon for tonight, but often just book it on hotwire or something, then slide in, a half hour later, with a reservation. I really like to avoid walking in and being told "no rooms" or "only the mirrored ceiling jacuzzi tub room at 3X price is available".

I figure in post-Covid boom times, this would still work. Maybe start at 2pm and have a 4 or 5 hour window for a place to stop.

In some European cities, my favorite hotels are usually fully booked or close to it, most of the time. I always make reservations directly with them as early as I can.

Here in the US, it's much easier to make reservations at the last minute, since I'm a dedicated Hampton Inn (or equivalent) customer.
Yes, Europe I usually make reservations and many months in advance because I find the favorite locations and popular hotels book up quickly. Even 4 months out in some cities. I spend a lot of time picking European hotels.

This was my experience in Moab too. Two years ago, we were returning to Texas from California in our motorhome. It was two month trip and we didn’t reserve any camp sites, other than a week in Napa where did have prior reservations. We would typically make reservations on the day of our arrival or maybe the day before. We loved the flexibility that gave us in deciding where to stay and for how long.

The only problem with getting a reservation during the entire two month trip was in Moab. There are a ton of RV parks in and around Moab, and we eventually got into one of them, but got turned down at about 10 parks before we finally found one with a vacancy. Needless to say, it was not one of the nicer parks in the area, but at least we had a spot. Moab is a fantastic destination, so you can understand why prior reservations are a necessity.

Our experience is yes. With one proviso. If you are on the coast over a long weekend make certain that you have reservations if you plan to stay at a popular locations.

Since retiring this is exactly how we travel. We do it for the same reason. We may decide to spend a week, or a day. More often than not we make reservations a day in advance, often for two nights at a time unless we are familiar with the location. We do this in Europe each fall and in Asia during the winter.

Ms G and I have done CA Route 1 San Diego to the bay area and wineries, and have done San Francisco to Washington when we lived in Seattle (North Bend), without any reservations pre-covid.

So since our Italy trip was cancelled and we had a house sitter we wanted to do 6 days in the central valley, than cross to the coast at Santa Cruz and 6 days back.

Well Ms G tried hotels with points, no nada, and than places on the outskirts again booked solid. I think she is ready to give up the whole idea.

I have a Toyota Sienna and remove / stow the back seats and throw a memory foam topper back there if we want to rough it. Quite comfortable even with the big pit at our feet.

Otherwise we drive until we get tired on a long trip.

Since we use Hilton hotels most of the time on road trips I often use their HHonors app, especially as you can check-in, go straight to your chosen room, and keyless entry. Even just 1/2 hour ahead of time. Very nice.

+1

We are also Hilton Honors members and I have found last minute bookings with them to work out fine. They are not "bargain" hotels, but I do not mind paying a little extra, and their customer service has been great to us.

+1

We are also Hilton Honors members and I have found last minute bookings with them to work out fine. They are not "bargain" hotels, but I do not mind paying a little extra, and their customer service has been great to us.

I’m too picky/choosy to spend the night in a “bargain” hotel. We use Hilton on road trips because their standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently reliable - good enough for us anyway. No nasty surprises.

At the destination we usually go for something fancier or a more unique lodging experience.

Last edited:
During my Covid travels I went without reservations. Everything decided on the fly. No problems.

Now many years ago I was in a 2 week vacation in the Northwest, and we had one flex day. We headed from Vacouver to Seattle and found exactly zero rooms with vacancies. We ended up sleeping in our car, Green River ordinance and all that.

I can't recommend not making reservations or at least doing a lot of advance planning.

I remember many many years ago, near the end of a long road trip of 2 weeks we ended up in San Diego. Without a reservation, we drove around Hotel Circle Rd, a loop of access road on both sides of I-8 which was the location for many hotels, to look for a room. After seeing "No Vacancy" signs, one after another, we stopped at one hotel without the sign turned on.

It turned out that they had a couple of reservations without prepay, and the guests had not turned up, and they were going to release the rooms at 6PM promptly. There was another couple in front of us, and we waited another 10 minutes or so until the clock struck 6.

If we did not get the room there, would have to keep driving out of town until we found a motel that was probably run by Norman Bates.

What I like about RV'ing is that I never have to worry about not having a bed to sleep in.

Of course, in most cities along the West Coast particularly in CA, there are city ordinances against overnight RV parking in town. The police will wake you up in the middle of the night, issue a ticket for a few hundred bucks, and you still have to drive away while still groggy.

At more remote places, one can usually find a place to park, or if all else fails, look for the nearest Walmart. :) Up in Alaska or the Yukon, you can park nearly anywhere on public land.

I know a couple who liked to do stealth camping in their minivan. Said they had spent countless nights sleeping right near the beaches in CA, undetected and free of charge. It works for them, but I need something a lot bigger than a minivan to have my comfort, and these big vehicles cannot be stealthy.

PS. The above couple are retired, and in their 70s. Their finance is quite secure (they own 2 homes), but like to travel light and do stealthy boondocking. They said that despite having 2 homes, they spent more nights sleeping in their minivan than in their homes. :) They are pretty hard-core wanderers. Met them on my Alaska RV trip.

Last edited:
This makes me think of one time heading west in the RV on I-80, we decided to make it to Cheyenne WY for a one nighter before continuing west.

Well, we somehow hit Cheyenne Frontier Days on a weekend which is the biggest celebration in town. Every RV park was overflowing as you can imagine. We were tired and I was kicking myself for not staying at the Cabela’s headquarters campground 3 hours prior.

The place we stayed* was full but routed us to a big lumpy pasture field where we could boondock with a bunch of other RVs. It was alright and the evening got cool enough to not need the gen. Amazingly the other RVs were quiet.

*Terry Bison Ranch Resort

Last edited:
I always reserve in advance. With Hilton Honors if they have a hotel in the area. I always plan out our road trips in detail so it’s easy to know where we will be every day. There’s only been one or two times that I regret reserving because of travel issues.

I am asking if it is possible simply start driving and try you luck each afternoon to get a hotel room when you get to the next town.
I was wondering if I had misread your question, but no, it seems I got it right.

Since you want the flexibility of staying an extra night somewhere, and not having to rebook umpteen hotel reservations made in advance, I'd say do it.

Some friends of mine just left for Boston. They're traveling in a sedan, so no memory foam on the floor of the Sienna for them! But what they did "for insurance" is they bought a tent that opens like an umbrella (you can set it up in the dark in just a few seconds). And they have the air bed that quickly fills itself. They don't plan on using those, but in a pinch...

I am asking if it is possible simply start driving and try you luck each afternoon to get a hotel room when you get to the next town.
Yes, it’s very easy to do this most of the time if you aren’t heading to a major resort area or festival.

Using your cellphone to look a few hours ahead for availability is a good idea. Normally you’ll have a pretty good idea by mid afternoon where you might want to stop for the night, or at least how much farther you’re willing to drive. That’s usually when we decide and if a town looks a bit busy I may use an app to book a place then, or else just wait until we arrive.

I have a Toyota Sienna and remove / stow the back seats and throw a memory foam topper back there if we want to rough it. Quite comfortable even with the big pit at our feet.

Otherwise we drive until we get tired on a long trip.

I've slept about 9 times in my Sienna, I have the middle seats out and fold down the back seats. Tons of room.
I made cardboard sized to fit into/against the windows so it can be really dark.

A few years ago, around the 4th of July time, we were driving in upper Michigan. We decided to not book a hotel for just one night because we were not sure where we might be staying. That proved to be a mistake, as we could not find a hotel on expedia.com. We could not even find a camping site as they required memberships. We finally drove into a resort town and check hotels one by one, eventually found a room that was freed up at the last minutes for more than $300. We were seriously afraid that we might not find a room at that night.

I will try and ramble too much, but long story short DW and her sister damn near spent the night on the street in Dallas after a missed flight a couple months ago.

After the airline left them high and dry, they went online looking for a hotel. All booked. After a few hours, they found one they "reserved" through booking.com but when they got to the hotel, there was no room available even though they had to pre-pay for the room.

They spent several hours in the lobby area until a room "magically" appeared around 2:30 in the morning. Adding insult to injury, her card was charged for TWO rooms and she spend a significant amount of time on the phone trying to get it resolved.

All the while they were trying to get their room, I was calling all over the DFW area. I called about 50 hotels that night and nothing was available.

It was a nightmare and so I am now pretty gun shy when it comes to finding a hotel "on the fly."

My wife and I have not, but we have had several times where we've planned to get home by car that day and realized it was impractical to finish the trip.

We've been able to get a room, normally by the passenger making calls to places an hour or so ahead on the route.

I've slept about 9 times in my Sienna, I have the middle seats out and fold down the back seats. Tons of room.
I made cardboard sized to fit into/against the windows so it can be really dark.

Good idea for the windows. We're up with the birds anyway so probably don't need those unless artificial light...

As long as you have a cell phone with a signal, all you ever need is the ability to go to hotels.com or trivago.com and you can find a room in your area.

As long as you have a cell phone with a signal, all you ever need is the ability to go to hotels.com or trivago.com and you can find a room in your area.

That is if they have any rooms in the area.

Back
Top Bottom