Cheapskate Parking Solution

The downtown hotel in Portland where we will be staying in June charges $22 per night for parking. Since we won't be using the car while we are staying there, I'm considering some cheapskate alternatives:

1. Park in a residential suburban area on the outskirts and ride my bike back to the hotel. I'd be sure to leave nothing steal-able in the car.

2. Park at a Walmart that allows overnight parking (7 mile easy ride).

3. Park at the airport ($10/day).

4. Just eat the $22/day charge.

What do you think?

What's the purpose of this trip? If it's a pleasure trip, I'd pay the $22 and spend the time and energy you'd devote to the other options on having a good time. Otherwise, I'd check out the lower cost but time consuming alternatives.

Don't park overnight at the Zoo. Washington Park, Zoo area and Arboretum are considered our 'living room'. It is closely patrolled.

Better to park in the Hillside neighborhood (up on the hill north of Burnside, west of NW 25th).

One more question: WDLT ("What does Lena think") ?

One more question: WDLT ("What does Lena think") ?

:) I just asked, and she doesn't feel strongly either way. Of course, I'd be the one to drive to Walmart and ride back -- possibly while she's still sleeping in the hotel room. Or we could all drop the car off, and start one of our bike rides from the Walmart.

I know that Jenny actually parked her car at Walmart when she flew somewhere to save on airport parking, so I'm sure she'd be on board.

For me, the only issue is whether I would be worried about the car. If it's nestled in with the RVers, and there's nothing inside to steal, I'll probably feel OK.

The thing is that the RVers usually park way over to the side to be out of the way of the shoppers, and are only staying overnight. They are usually gone with their RVs during the day.

The downtown hotel in Portland where we will be staying in June charges $22 per night for parking. Since we won't be using the car while we are staying there, I'm considering some cheapskate alternatives:

1. Park in a residential suburban area on the outskirts and ride my bike back to the hotel. I'd be sure to leave nothing steal-able in the car.

What do you think?

I'd think that if there isn't plenty of open spaces for option 1 (who wants to spend lots of time searching for a parking space while you could already gone miles on your bicycle), then option 2 (WallyWorld) is the way to go.

That is frustrating. I just decided to use a cab in downtown San Jose instead of a rental because of parking fees. If you are at the Hilton in downtown portland... there is a parking included room rate that will save u 25% (unless they jack the room rate to compensate).

Yes to north of Burnside and west of 25th. Nice neighborhood and close to the park trails. It's an easy ride into downtown from there, too (slightly downhill).

TromboneAl said:

What do you think?

My vote is for #4. After all, time on a vacation costs a lot more money than time at home. No sense in wasting any money on a false economy, so to speak, IMO. Consider the price of parking to be part of the overall price of the hotel and then re-examine your choice of hotels.

Last edited:
My vote is for #4. After all, time on a vacation costs a lot more money than time at home. No sense in wasting any money on a false economy, so to speak, IMO. Consider the price of parking to be part of the overall price of the hotel and then re-examine your choice of hotels.
I think Al feels that this is catnip to a cheapskate... sort of a vacation with a little extra challenge thrown in for recreation.

I think Al feels that this is catnip to a cheapskate... sort of a vacation with a little extra challenge thrown in for recreation.

That's our T-Al - - - you're probably right, and we certainly wouldn't change him for all the tea in China! And if he wants challenge, he should enjoy the puzzle of figuring out where to park. :)

I'll amend my recommendation to say that if it was me, I'd just go ahead and pay for the parking, and cut back somewhere else. But then that's me.

Maybe you could do a private wink-wink deal with the hotel check-in guy?

Alternative - drive to close, nice home suburb area. Pull out cell phone, call taxi.

Using Cute Fuzzy Bunny's metric: $66 = 1 free Lobster Dinner.

Using Cute Fuzzy Bunny's metric: $66 = 1 free Lobster Dinner.

Yes - - I guess what I'm saying is if it was ME (not you), I'd rather just skip the lobster dinner for one, and instead spend the $66 on parking, thus gaining extra time to enjoy my vacation spot with less aggravation.

Yes - - I guess what I'm saying is if it was ME (not you), I'd rather just skip the lobster dinner for one, and instead spend the $66 on parking, thus gaining extra time to enjoy my vacation spot with less aggravation.
I can't see T-Al spending that much on dinner for one (regardless of what it is) :cool: ...

I sure am glad I don't live in a big city. I don't think I could physically hand over $20 just to park my car for 1 day. Most parking around here is free. If I go to the downtown area of the nearby "big city" of 75,000 people then I have to pay $2 to park in the ramp. I was mad when they raised it from $1 a couple years ago.

Come on over to Boston... I currently pay $380/Month for parking at work. At least this only works out to about $19/day.

When buying gas, I use the 'Gas Buddy' app to find the closes and cheapest gas bar. There are also parking apps, like Best Parking. I used it last weekend to go to a sporting event in Toronto. I paid $8 for the day while some where as much as $30 less than a block away. All you do before you leave is enter the location/event in the city you choose, the date and amount of time you expect to park and you get mapped results of the prices in that area. I was surprised how much they can differ.

When buying gas, I use the 'Gas Buddy' app to find the closes and cheapest gas bar.
working.png

That cartoon is quite relevant. The key is to treat each money saving idea on a case by case basis, do the calculation, and ask yourself "Would I rather have $x or spend the time/effort to save it."

What's the purpose of this trip? If it's a pleasure trip, I'd pay the $22 and spend the time and energy you'd devote to the other options on having a good time.
+1. I thought this was Al's new paradigm in travel- more pleasure, less ordeal. He has spent $66 worth of thought on this already, and he isn't even pedaling back to the hotel in the rain yet. When I was about 25 I went to dinner at a nice white tablecloth restaurant with a pretty Greek woman. The check came and I was trying to figure out what 15% would be (I'm a 20%er now, rounded up) anyway the pretty woman says, Hah dearest, be a sport and forget the accountancy. She gave me other very valuable advice, most of it at least somewhat embarassing to me. I am eternally grateful for all of it, as it was all sorely needed.

Ha

Last edited:
Getting back and forth to the free parking means less time to spend on other things.

Another vote to cough up the $22/day.

OK, Al, here's a mathematical approach that might help you to decide.

First, figure out the entire cost of your trip - - transportation, hotels, restaurants, entry fees for sightseeing and cultural events, parking fees, tips, and so on.

Then divide that by the number of free hours you will have outside your hotel room, at your destination, to figure out a cost per hour of enjoying your destination.

Finally, subtract the parking fees from the entire cost of the trip, and subtract the time you would have to spend in dealing with the parking situation (looking for parking spots, biking back to the hotel, drying clothes drenched in the rain, and so on). Again, divide the (adjusted) total cost by the adjusted cost per hour of enjoying your destination.

Compare the two and you will have your answer.

Last edited:
But remember, it's only 7 miles away. 15 minutes in the car and 30 minutes on the bike. The time I'd save would probably be spent riding my bike.

I will report back.

Back
Top Bottom