Coronavirus - Travel impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing.

I do not know Chinese either, but Google Translate came to the rescue. I found what I thought was the post, and am enclosing the translation below.

10965-albums220-picture2115.png

Be warned that something might be lost in the machine-based translation. "New type" might refer to a "new instance." "Cured" might mean "treated."

For example, "a cured person was discharged 10 days after discharge."

It surely sounds scary. Could the different strains of virus explain the different levels of illness seen in patients, one shaking it off like a common cold while another person dying in a couple of days? Can the virus evolve inside the same patient, and requires no transmission to mutate? Cancer cells do this inside our body.

I have a question arising from this excerpt:

I wonder how many different treatments have been found. I read that they have used an antiviral drug meant for HIV, and that appeared to work. How many different antiviral drugs are there for doctors to try?

Even stranger some people don't even feel they have a cold, they feel nothing amiss and are positive..this does give hope for a good vaccine,

Activity 'epicenters'

Now that it (or they) are "out there" in the world, I think I'll make my decisions about travel plan changes based on the activity someone was undertaking when they acquired the virus.

So if flight attendants or airport workers start reporting infections, I won't fly. If grocery store checkout clerks start reporting infections, I won't go to the grocery store. Etc.

This won't keep me perfectly safe, but if I did get it as one of the first for that particular activity, I'd hope to be in an early wave and more likely have access to a ventilator. But more likely (hopefully, and if my thinking is right), I won't get it. At least that's my plan. I doubt it will work out like this, but might as well have a plan anyway.

Now that it (or they) are "out there" in the world, I think I'll make my decisions about travel plan changes based on the activity someone was undertaking when they acquired the virus.

So if flight attendants or airport workers start reporting infections, I won't fly. If grocery store checkout clerks start reporting infections, I won't go to the grocery store. Etc.

This won't keep me perfectly safe, but if I did get it as one of the first for that particular activity, I'd hope to be in an early wave and more likely have access to a ventilator. But more likely (hopefully, and if my thinking is right), I won't get it. At least that's my plan. I doubt it will work out like this, but might as well have a plan anyway.

^ Much too complicated. All you need to do is find out where you will die and never go there.

^ Much too complicated. All you need to do is find out where you will die and never go there.
That's why I avoid hospitals. People constantly die there.

I've decided to only go on HALO parachuting vacations.....most of the participants are young, fit, and healthy.

Oh, wait.....my one and only jump, (static line) 42 years ago, ended with a torn ligament.

Damn, back to the drawing board.

Have y'all read about a few hundred inmates in China's prisons getting sick with the virus?

Darn! Even when you are locked up in a dank cell, the virus still finds you! No need to be a world traveler.

Last edited:
And in Italy, some small northern towns in the Lombardy region and close to Milan have been put in lockdown due to a virus outbreak.

Around 50 people tested positive in just the last couple of days. Two have died. About 250 were put in isolation. Whole towns are in shut down.

I read the story on Bloomberg, but you can search for the same info elsewhere.

Update on Italy situation:

A couple of cases were found in Milan. Universities there have been closed. The Prime Minister will hold an emergency meeting with his cabinet to discuss additional measures.

All this has been traced to an Italian researcher at a local Unilever plant, who had a dinner with another Italian businessman who lived in China. All other patients were either in contact with the researcher, or with the hospital where he was treated. This researcher came to the hospital on 2/18. Today is only 2/22.

I have not seen more info about the Italian businessman, and his whereabout.

This time, the virus spreads quickly, and is fast acting too.

Update on Italy situation:

A couple of cases were found in Milan. Universities there have been closed. The Prime Minister will hold an emergency meeting with his cabinet to discuss additional measures.

All this has been traced to an Italian researcher at a local Unilever plant, who had a dinner with another Italian businessman who lived in China. All other patients were either in contact with the researcher, or with the hospital where he was treated. This researcher came to the hospital on 2/18. Today is only 2/22.

I have not seen more info about the Italian businessman, and his whereabout.

This time, the virus spreads quickly, and is fast acting too.

I've read that the Italian biz man has been repeatedly tested but the results so far have been negative for the virus.

Lucky Dude

I went to Munich Germany about two weeks ago for business to our office in OberPfaffenHofen. The business directly next door to ours, had 9 employees get infected from a colleague returning from......China. I was planning a vacation to Bavaria this June, but we will watch it closely before pulling the trigger on tickets. Such a crazy time for traveling!!

:)

Or perhaps you can have the body of this Mr. Qiu.

On another thread, LS99 shared the story of this 72-year old body builder in Wuhan, which was published in the Daily Star. Strong as a horse, and refused to wear a mask when his son-in-law asked him to. Admitted to the hospital after a fever. Lasted 4 days.

0_AsiaWire-MuscleVirus-01.jpg

That was illuminating. I told Lena that the death rate is higher among those age 60-69.

She said, "Well, we don't have to worry because we're so healthy."

Then I showed her that post.

I was getting a little nervous about my short of CCL but the more I read, I kind of want to double down. Greed can get you though...this whole thing *could* blow over.
I didn't think of this, but on one of the other virus threads, someone said they could use cruise ships as hospitals. DUH! That's why the stock hasn't tanked completely. Carnival is going to charge governments to rent out whole ships. The cruise lines will charge at least what they would have charged passengers, but not have the expense of driving around. Then they'll charge the government a huge fee with plenty of profit to refurbish the ship once it's relinquished.

As they are used in Wuhan which is landlocked, I wondered what kind of ships they were talking about.

They turned out to be river cruise ships, and they looked to be of Chinese ownership. And yes, the famed Yangtze River flows through Wuhan. All this stuff has improved my geography knowledge.

See photo from Straight Times.

rk_cruiseship_220220.jpg

Coronavirus is spreading fast in Iran. There have been 6 deaths, 28 confirmed cases, and 785 suspected cases.

Schools, universities, public venues an events are closed in 10 provinces.

Kuwait is looking to evacuate 700 Kuwaiti citizens from Mashhad, Iran 2nd largest city.

South Korea has 602 confirmed cases. Israel bans entry to South Koreans, and requires people returning from Korea and Japan to be quarantined for 2 weeks.

I've read that the Italian biz man has been repeatedly tested but the results so far have been negative for the virus.

Lucky Dude

Then, it's a mystery how that researcher at Unilever contracted the virus.

At this writing, the number of cases in Italy has jumped to more than 100 from 50 a day ago.

Israel bans entry to South Koreans, and requires people returning from Korea and Japan to be quarantined for 2 weeks.
Iran was on the ban list already, but for other reasons.

Moves like this might drive some countries to hide their cases. So is Israel the most restrictive on international travelers so far? They might be a good 'leading indicator' for what will happen in other countries. The US just has China on the list right now, right?

I think these imposed restrictions speaks to the magnitude of the threat as perceived by the Israeli government. That is to say, not on the same playing field as the annual flu.

Last edited:
I waiting for a gov't to announce the quarantine period is 30 days instead of 2 wks.

Also South America, Mexico and Africa are silent (except for Egypt with 1), I believe this is because they are hiding the fact, or at least not bothering to look at why many folks are dying of the flu.

Israel sent back a plane from Seoul, after allowing Israelis onboard to disembark. These Israelis are then put in quarantine.

About 200 South Korean tourists already in the country were rounded up and put in quarantine. A Web article said about 1000 South Korean tourists were in the country, but did not mention what would happen to the other 800.

South Korea sent a strong protest to Israel. This is getting ugly.

Last edited:
The quarantine facility in Israel is a military installation. People in the area already had a protest and burned tires, not wanting it in their town.

In addition to South Korea, Israel already bans entry to people from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand and Singapore.

Many South Koreans have visited Israel for religious reasons.

A Web article adds: "Israel has long sought to have South Korea remove its permanent travel warning its citizens against visiting Israel due to the security situation, in order to boost economic ties between the two countries."

I believe it has now been extended to Japan and South Korea.

Edited to make correction.

Link? I don't believe there is a ban for incoming travelers. Yet. The US has just raised the travel advisory a level.

I'm watching this carefully because my daughter bought tickets to a BTS concert in NJ in late May. She is so excited about this. She's got her flight and hotel already booked. K-Pop concerts are already being cancelled in South Korea. They're supposed to kick off their tour in the US in California (of all places, right now :facepalm:) in April. I'm hopeful, for her sake, that the US doesn't have to extend the ban to South Korea, though it'll be perfectly understandable if they do. :(

Last edited:
I was supposed to go to Phoenix again this week. Pretty sure I'm cancelling the flight, in part because of the travel risks and in part because of contractor issues. If I go in the next few weeks, I will probably drive. Stop for gas and bathrooms, but no restaurants. I will bring my own food and soap and water to wash up in the parking lot after stopping and before eating.

I don't eat out much anyway, but I'm not going into any restaurants until this is over. In general, I'm staying out of stores except for unavoidable grocery shopping. I have stocked up on non-perishables and things that can be frozen, but perishables such as milk, eggs and produce are difficult to do without. Safeway at 7 AM is not very crowded.

I was supposed to go to Phoenix again this week. Pretty sure I'm cancelling the flight, in part because of the travel risks and in part because of contractor issues. If I go in the next few weeks, I will probably drive. Stop for gas and bathrooms, but no restaurants. I will bring my own food and soap and water to wash up in the parking lot after stopping and before eating.

I don't eat out much anyway, but I'm not going into any restaurants until this is over. In general, I'm staying out of stores except for unavoidable grocery shopping. I have stocked up on non-perishables and things that can be frozen, but perishables such as milk, eggs and produce are difficult to do without. Safeway at 7 AM is not very crowded.

3 people in my household work, so I can only limit my exposure so much. DH works at the second largest employer in our city, with about 550 other employees in the building. No work from home option for him. Son works as a dietary aide in a nursing home. Daughter works at a popular fast casual restaurant next to a major highway and turnpike interchange. I'm exposed whether I leave my house or not.

Don't forget things like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, making sure that OTC remedies are fresh, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom