Cruise to Hawaii, how to skip excursions?

BlueberryPie

Recycles dryer sheets
We're taking a cruise to Hawaii in December. Honolulu, Nawiliwili (Kauai), Lahaina (Maui), Hilo.

We'd like to keep the budget in check and it seems that we should be able to explore and do things on our own rather than do cruise excursions. We're aware of the fact that th ship will only wait for you if you are on a cruise-sanctioned excursion, but we're not taking about taking a trip hours deep in the jungle in a third-world country here.
For anyone familiar with Hawaii, is there anything that you would recommend doing in each of those parts? We'd love to do something active (hiking, swimming) in at least one port of call. Similarly we would enjoy a local market (fruit, crafts...) at one location but not every time.

Check out snorkeling sites near your ports of call. Snorkeling can be outstanding on all the islands, depending on location. There isn't much in Kauai near Lihue, but a few miles north is Lydgate Park, which is a protected beach with a rock wall protecting you from the surf. Snorkeling there is super easy. Whale watching is spectacular in Maui December-February. Pacific Whale Foundation runs eco-tours and is an advocacy organization for marine life, and they are doing work to help Lahaina recover from the fire. We took their whale watching tour in 2017. On the Big Island, we kayaked around Coconut Island in Hilo Bay in January this year. The Liluokalani Gardens is a beautiful park along Hilo Bay.

You can arrange tours not affiliated with the cruise that could save you money. Volcanoes National Park isn't too far from Hilo, but it's not that interesting now that Kilauea isn't erupting most of the time.

Check out Tom Barefoot for ideas:

https://tombarefoot.com/

You certainly can go on your own, just be sure to be back to get on the ship in time.

In Honolulu, you could swim at Wakki Beach (you could walk or taxi to the beach from the port dock). Maybe you could arrange surfing lessons ahead of time?
Or you could hike up the trail at Diamond Head which overlooks the city and surrounding oceans. It is farther from the ship port , but even buses are plentiful and cheap, and would drop you off at the bottom of the driveway. (you just walk up the driveway, through the tunnel , and pay small fee (in 2012 it was $1 pp for walk-ins) to hike up the path and tunnels to the top. (carry water with you).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head,_Hawaii

I live on the Big Island but on the Kona side not Hilo. Most tour operators are familiar with th eneed to get you back to your boat on time. I would contact local operators for whatever interests you to see what they can offer.

Around Hilo I don't suggest ocean activities but a hike through Kilauea Iki in Hawaiian Volcanos National Park would be totally doable in a day including stops at the summit caldera and Thurston lava tube. You may even have time for a walk around Hilo town and visit to the farmers market or Liliuokalani Gardens depending on timing. I know you said you are trying to save money but hiring a private guide through something like getyourguide might let you see more at only a small extra cost.

we're not taking about taking a trip hours deep in the jungle in a third-world country here.

I live in Hawaii. It is in many ways like a third world country. And much of the islands are deep jungle. So you almost literally are talking about hours deep in the jungle in a third world country!

I don't think it is anything you should worry about on a short cruise stop. But just yesterday I experienced a 2 hour delay getting to work because of rocks washed onto the road from a rainstorm and delays in the county cleaning it up. This is very common, at least a couple of times a week somewhere on the island. We keep in our cars a kit to camp out overnight if needed (we is me and my partner, likely not most Hawaii residents). A little over a year ago she was delayed 7 hours coming home from w*rk and brought home a friend and a stranger for a sleepover! So yeah, we're not like the mainland!

On Kauai, see if it is possible to visit Waimea Canyon in the time you have.

Last edited:
for most ports, you can find local excursion places (online, in advance) and they will coordinate your port/boat times. But you can also for sure do your own thing.

The forums on Cruisecritic.com are good for finding recommendations of locally-run tours. Many choose that option.

Hawaii is the easiest place ever. You book rental cars in each port. It's not like foreign countries, where car rentals are a federal case...it takes 10 minutes and you're on your way. You can often just walk to the rental place, but if not, you can get an Uber.

Best snorkeling site: Molokini Crater. That was my bucket list destination when I was a scuba diver. Never got to go as a diver (for medical reasons had to quit diving) but I did snorkel there and it was absolutely glorious.

How much time do you have at your ports of call? Figuring things out, getting a car, driving and navigating will take up a lot of your time. Alternately, pay the money and ride on the Roberts bus and enjoy the scenery on the way.

Our first trip to Oahu, we took the very first flight to Big Island in the morning and the last one back that evening. We spent a day in a rental car driving as far as we could around the Island. At age 28, we were exhausted by trips end. There really was no time for any activities. Everything on Big Island is really spread out. On Oahu, you could do Hanauma Bay snorkeling, but you need to get there (rental car?? a dozen miles through town and during rush hour??) or do a separate - no cruise ship - "tour" etc. IIRC you now need to get reservations for it these days.

Honestly, I'd just do the cruise ship excursions since you don't know the lay of the land. THEY will take care of all the up front stuff (like tickets to the Arizona Memorial or Hanauma Bay or whatever.) Yeah, it's expensive, but if you mess up your on-the-cheap substitute, you're gonna have to buy an air ticket to the next port of call and you haven't saved a dime.

Given my choice, I'd save the cost of a cruise and stay in hotels on maybe two Islands over 10 to 20 days. THEN take the excursions offered on Island - or if adventurous, rent a car and do your own tours. The ship is kinda neat and you have your stuff with you and your transpo between Islands is handled - but you'll be rushed and it will very much depend on your travel skills to "do it yourself."

LOTs of good travel books out there on Hawaii (I like a series for each Island by Doughty) with titles like "Oahu Revealed" - https://www.amazon.com/Oahu-Reveale...MIno7Uj7CVhQMVyg2tBh16ag5aEAQYASABEgIdQvD_BwE

Have fun and feel free to ask us locals questions about specifics. Aloha.

The forums on Cruisecritic.com are good for finding recommendations of locally-run tours. Many choose that option.
I have used Cruisecritic several times with excellent results. Lots of good information and many people are looking for additional folks to reach a minimum quota. Every tour was much better than what was offered by the ship and the group was never more than 8 people often in a new Mercedes van. They were also quite a bit cheaper.

+1 on cruise critic for review.
Hawaii is beautiful, enjoy your trip!

We did that cruise in 2018. . We also on Oahu and Maui for our son's wedding in 2011
I have attached the stories.

Attachments

• HAWAIIAN CRUISE 2018.pdf
    681.6 KB · Views: 3
  • hawaii wedding 2011.pdf
    865.5 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom