Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Option 10 to reference in your proviso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 11 to reference in your caveat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've run out of witty and less than witty options

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
For me, it's greasy mouthfeel and absolutely disgusting taste, I don't care if it's the world's best butter from a solid-gold cow.

For some reason, though, it's a completely different story when butter is baked into a cookie, pastry, or bread dough. Then, it makes everything taste better. At least, that is my way of thinking, and husband's too.

My Dad loved lots of butter on everything. Due to his health concerns, my Mom cooked everything as low-fat as possible (probably why I like it that way) and he dutifully ate it, but sometimes bemoaned the days when "I could eat anything I wanted."

Our cruise was with Regent Seven Seas. In the main dining room, you could order anything you wanted, and as much of it as you wanted, from the menu offerings, all of which were delicious, and mostly very healthy (you could choose a buttery sauce, a lighter sauce, or no sauce at all). So we would each get an appetizer and main entree, and then order six different vegetables and share. It was soooo good! Potatoes and rice were optional sides. I fell in love with their sweet potato fries.

Same here. I'm dating a guy who slathers tons of butter on bread; I never liked it very much. The predominant sensation, for me, is greasy. I do like it in baked goods; it's easy for me to pass up most of the processed cookies and cakes in the grocery store because I know they've used cheap substitutes and they won't taste as good.

As far as cruises: I'm headed out on my 4th with UnCruise this weekend- the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortes. They're small ships, only one dining room and mostly buffet- but focused on fresh food, locally-sourced, always with a good vegetarian option. I've never seen them serve a baked potato. Butter will certainly be available but I'll leave it for someone else.

Last edited:
I'm done with cruises, but I love butter. I just need to find more things to eat it on. I suppose I could eat butter by itself.

I'm done with cruises, but I love butter. I just need to find more things to eat it on. I suppose I could eat butter by itself.

Roasted Kabocha squash hash
Sauteed mushrooms

Both seem to absorb near-infinite quantities of butter :LOL:

I believe this topic has been discussed ad nauseam on previous threads.

I suggest you learn how the search function works before starting another thread.

BTW, do you think I should take SS early, and pay off my mortgage? Thanks.

I do. Cold salted butter fresh from the knife.

I believe this topic has been discussed ad nauseam on previous threads.

I suggest you learn how the search function works before starting another thread.

BTW, do you think I should take SS early, and pay off my mortgage? Thanks.

You forgot to yell at the kids to get off your lawn...

Another reason I like visiting Texas at fair time—from Wikipedia:

Abel Gonzales Jr., also known as "Fried Jesus", of Dallas, Texas, invented deep-fried butter,[4][5] serving it at the 2009 State Fair of Texas in Dallas, Texas. Prepared using frozen, battered butter, it was awarded the "Most Creative food prize" at that time.[1]

Not cruise related, and I don't know where I read/heard this, but basically, even chef's will admit, the reason restaurant food tastes so great is basically because +salt and +butter.

I am reminded of a mother who often served several vegetableles at each meal. When asked how she gets her kids to eat veggies she replied, "I put butter on them."

Netflix has a four part cooking series called Salt Fat Acid Heat. The chicken marinated in butter milk sounded wonderful.

4 Things We Learned About Butter from Julia Child

• Don't be afraid of butter. Julia famously said, "With enough butter, anything is good." ...
  • Add oil to your butter for sautéing. Cooking at a high heat with butter often leads to failure. ...
  • Or skip the oil and clarify your butter. ...
  • Use butter to get the crispiest chicken skin. ...
https://www.thekitchn.com/4-things-we-learned-about-butter-from-julia-child-228696

Last edited:
I didn't search for a "butter on cruise" thread, but I'd be surprised to learn of one. Hari Kari isn't off the table if there is one.

Cooking with butter at home: fantastic! Institutionally prepared foods with "butter": almost universally bad (because they put wierd oils and maybe one pat of butter per batch so the front of the package can say "made with real butter". And on the cheaper cruises, many of the foods that can be really good if made with real butter aren't any good, so I suspect they cheapen the recipe by substituting some cheap fat.

I'm finding this thread quite entertaining... I'm now going off to search for the reported miriad other butter threads...if they are half as entertaining, they'll be a great read. Nothing better than butter lovers and butter haters kindly sharing their views on this major topic of high importance to humanity.

I eat the same amount of butter at home as when cruising. We find the food to be delicious in the main dining room. I don’t like room service as the food is never hot enough.

I just want to know why in the hell you're eating baked potatoes on the cruise when there are filet mignons and lobster tail and bacon waiting to be consumed by you.

As I tell my kids when we hit the $7.99 Chinese buffet at home: "Focus on the High Value Targets y'all!". HVTs is where it's at.

I didn't search for a "butter on cruise" thread, but I'd be surprised to learn of one. Hari Kari isn't off the table if there is one.

Cooking with butter at home: fantastic! Institutionally prepared foods with "butter": almost universally bad (because they put wierd oils and maybe one pat of butter per batch so the front of the package can say "made with real butter". And on the cheaper cruises, many of the foods that can be really good if made with real butter aren't any good, so I suspect they cheapen the recipe by substituting some cheap fat.

I'm finding this thread quite entertaining... I'm now going off to search for the reported miriad other butter threads...if they are half as entertaining, they'll be a great read. Nothing better than butter lovers and butter haters kindly sharing their views on this major topic of high importance to humanity.

I just hope it doesn't devolve into something that will bring Porky out...unless Porky gets upset over the use of butter vs. lard....

Just so long as nobody calls anybody a butterface :LOL:

Thank you for another fun thread.

FIL, who recently passed away at age 93, loved, loved, loved butter. He'd put four pats on oatmeal. Once, DH was watching wide-eyed, and FIL asked, What, you don't like butter?

Although not a native, FIL lived in MA most of his life and loved "family lobster bakes". After the lobster, he'd dip the molasses donuts he had brought into the melted lobster butter as his dessert...while the rest of us stared in disbelief.

Great memories.

Butter:confused: I can take it or leave it. Actually, I'd rather have a bit spread on a hot pancake and with no syrup.

DW likes butter and will grab as much as she can when given the opportunity.

I do like a butter pat on steamed broccoli.

We took a cruise about 15 years ago so I can't recall any butter memories. I do remember the lobster dinners and free pizza all day. That was 20 pounds ago. :LOL:

What's this poll about, anyway:confused:?

I don't think we can get Kerrygold in Canada so we have to buy bulk at Costco when we head to Seattle and freeze it when we get home.

At home, we only eat butter from grass fed cows. I have high cholesterol and eating grass fed products is one way to help my efforts to lower cholesterol.

I just want to know why in the hell you're eating baked potatoes on the cruise when there are filet mignons and lobster tail and bacon waiting to be consumed by you.

As I tell my kids when we hit the $7.99 Chinese buffet at home: "Focus on the High Value Targets y'all!". HVTs is where it's at.
I'm glad you asked this. I'm usually all about the HVTs, and at the beginning of the cruise, I don't think the potato is very high on the list. But into week two, I gravitate to simplicity, especially if I've not been "wowed" by the food so far. Of course I get the fillet mignon or lobster on those nights, but sometimes the fancy starch just isn't doing it for me and head for a known, solid performer. And I feel the best when I get the right macro nutrient allocation. That includes a good bit of fat, and thus my proclivity to butter the heck out of a potato and my appreciation of said food to properly absorb the fat and deliver delicious comfort to my palate.

At home, we only eat butter from grass fed cows. I have high cholesterol and eating grass fed products is one way to help my efforts to lower cholesterol.
Since my scores on calcium and CIMT are perfect so far, I have luxury to tag the cholesterol theory of CVD as flawed. But to your point of a specific kind of butter, that's one thing lost on a cruise. Sometimes they even try to sneak-in fake butter!

I wonder what they would say in the baggage x-ray to a pound of Kerry Gold in my suitcase :)

I'm glad you asked this. I'm usually all about the HVTs, and at the beginning of the cruise, I don't think the potato is very high on the list. But into week two, I gravitate to simplicity, especially if I've not been "wowed" by the food so far. Of course I get the fillet mignon or lobster on those nights, but sometimes the fancy starch just isn't doing it for me and head for a known, solid performer. And I feel the best when I get the right macro nutrient allocation. That includes a good bit of fat, and thus my proclivity to butter the heck out of a potato and my appreciation of said food to properly absorb the fat and deliver delicious comfort to my palate.

No, I totally get it. Sometimes I'll intentionally eat veggies during a cruise, especially toward the end.

And believe it or not, I even ate a bowl of sliced apples and watermelon on the last cruise! Insanity! Skipping the fresh hot Italian thin crust pizza to munch on fruits.

After all, by the 10th or 20th pound of bacon it starts to lose its allure.

I eat lots of butter at home. Gonna have sweet potato with lots of butter for dinner tonight. Netherlands butter is mighty tasty, but I think Kerry Gold is up there as well. Not sure I've had butter from Wisconsin, but it clearly is something I need to try.
Salted Kerrygold is the best.

I eat more butter on a cruise! Why? Because it's there. Nothing better than hot buttered toast with seven or eight strips of bacon at breakfast! Seady rolls for dinner with a pat of butter on both halfs! And, we wonder why the scales never seem to work when we get home!

My system cannot tolerate drastic changes, and eating the rich delicious foods on a cruise plug me up big time. Definitely more intake than outgoing. After 3 days, I feel like I'm going to pop. Oh, the thread is about butter-I don't add to what is already heavily fatty foods. Blurp

Back
Top Bottom