Looking for advice on travel to California & Hawaii

As a bit of fun local background, it is sometimes referred to as "Lucy Packard's Fishtank", as Mrs. Packard, wife of billionaire founder David Packard of Hewlett-Packard fame, and her husband have given generously to not only help found the Aquarium but also fund its deep sea research arm, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), with its mandate to research and help preserve the world's oceans.

The way I heard it was David and Lucy Packard's daughter Julie got a degree in Marine Biology at UC Santa Cruz and convinced Mommy and Daddy to build her an aquarium nearby to run. She's been the Executive Director of MBARI since the aquarium opened in 1984. I can think of far worse ways the child of a billionaire could spend their money.

Last edited:
As a bit of fun local background, it is sometimes referred to as "Lucy Packard's Fishtank", as Mrs. Packard, wife of billionaire founder David Packard of Hewlett-Packard fame, and her husband have given generously to not only help found the Aquarium but also fund its deep sea research arm, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), with its mandate to research and help preserve the world's oceans.

The way I heard it was David and Lucy Packard's daughter Julie got a degree in Marine Biology at UC Santa Cruz and convinced Mommy and Daddy to build her an aquarium nearby to run. She's been the Executive Director of MBARI since the aquarium opened in 1984. I can think of far worse ways the child of a billionaire could spend their money.

As usual, it would seem billionaires can't get "no respect." If they're selfish with their money, they get grief. If they're generous, they are made fun of. You can't win. So glad I don't have that problem.:LOL:

One of our regular spots is Cambria. Very chill & close to the Paso Robles wineries. North of there are many hiking trails to smaller falls and Pfeiffer (McWay Falls).

North of Carmel is the 17 mile Dr. With nice scenery. I'd rent a convertible for the area and really enjoy the views.

South of Cambria is just meh to me...

One of the three Home Depot founders built the Georgia Aquarium out of his pocket. And it's now the premier aquarium anywhere.

The admission is quite pricey @ $39.95 per person, but it's the $17.00 parking fee that gets me. Too bad it wasn't built along the MARTA underground/subway system.

Here is how to get tickets to the USS Arizona tour:

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

Book early.

These tickets are the only way to travel from land out to the memorial. Tour companies may provide transportation to the land portion of the memorial (museum, gift shop, etc.) but only the gummint (Navy) provides transport to the actual memorial. You can take the bus or rent a car to get there.

If you are into military history, you might consider touring Punchbowl cemetery which is often referred to as the "Arlington of the Pacific." See: https://www.abmc.gov/Honolulu

A foot tour (on your own) of China Town Honolulu (in the day time) might be interesting to some. Very different from typical tourist areas - not for every one. Let your gut be your guide to stay safe.

If you are into Snorkeling, Hanauma Bay is the favorite. Get there early for limited parking - see: https://hanaumabaystatepark.com/

Round the Island tour (can do it by car, bus or tour). Probably best by car. Pretty much all day.

Haleiwa town (and North Shore in general) - Funky, hippie, surf community with unique shops and scenery on the North Shore - long drive from Honolulu though tours available. Not near the traffic in July as in winter as there is very little surf in summer though YMMV. Not recommending this site, but contains info on things to do. https://www.amyfillinger.com/things-to-do-in-haleiwa/

See: https://www.101thingstodo.com/oahu101/ This is all ads but mentions lots of cool things to do - some of which you can do free if you can get from your hotel to the location.

Best Book I've found: Oahu Revealed by Doughty https://www.revealedtravelguides.com/oahu-island/

Enjoy and aloha

Koolau, the photos of Hanauma Bay look beautiful, but apparently tourists have to make an online reservation at 7 am 48 hours before wanting to go, and many are not successful at getting reservations. And it’s $25/pp to enter and parking is a challenge. Is it really so unique as to be worth all of this hassle? Are there not many other beaches with excellent marine life and snorkeling?

Koolau, the photos of Hanauma Bay look beautiful, but apparently tourists have to make an online reservation at 7 am 48 hours before wanting to go, and many are not successful at getting reservations. And it’s $25/pp to enter and parking is a challenge. Is it really so unique as to be worth all of this hassle? Are there not many other beaches with excellent marine life and snorkeling?

Heh, heh, since I can go for free as a Kama'aina, I would have to say "no" - it may not be worth it. (Keep in mind, visiting marine environments is not my thing.) But the price was fairly recently set very high to limit the number of folks who come to the spot.

During Covid, the bay was shut down. There was a DRAMATIC improvement in the reef and the marine flora and fauna. For years, we have known that the heavy traffic at Hanauma Bay has been damaging it. No one thought a "pause" would allow it to return to at least some of its former glory - but it DID!

The high prices, difficult parking (but you can take THE BUS) are actually intended to keep the bay as healthy as possible. It seems to be working though I have not seen it since the pause.

Several years ago, we had a friend who lived with us for a while. EVERY morning she rose early and went to Hanauma Bay. It was her thing, I guess. But it shows that someone fascinated by marine environments thought HB was the best around.

Honestly, I know of no other spot on our Island like it. Sharks Cove (NO Sharks!) on the North Shore is famous for its tide pools. I believe you can snorkel there (don't quote me - but look it up in the book I mentioned) but the draw is the marine life you can observe by walking out among the tide pools. You will see all sorts of crustaceans - very different from HB but quite interesting.

Really good snorkeling can also be done at Captain Cook on Big Island. It's 90 feet deep and you can see the bottom. As far as I know, it's only reachable by boat and there are charters available that supply the equipment. Heh, heh, the fish KNOW they are gonna get fed so they will almost "attack" you as you go into the water. About that time, the "beach boys" on the boat throw bread or other "bait" into the water around you. The fish "boil" up all around you.

I just pulled my copy of "Oahu Revealed" and it lists 11 spots to snorkel on Oahu, near as I can tell. I've only ever been to Sharks Cove and HB.

So, YES, HB is probably worth it. It IS the premier snorkeling spot on Oahu. Be careful, we have drownings there from time to time - hard to believe in 3 feet of water but it happens. There's a technical explanation, but I forget what it is. I'm sure you know to respect the water (and especially the ocean.) YMMV

If you're gonna drive, there are lots of things to see just beyond HB. You can drive all the way around the South East end of the Island and return through any one of 3 tunnels (H3 has the "helicopter ride" feature - but puts you way downtown Honolulu - around the airport.) Coming back via Pali Hwy., (61) you can stop at the Pali Lookout which has an amazing vista over Kaneohe Bay and the Ko'olau range.

Yeah, get the Doughty "book" - I consider it the bible of Oahu books. IIRC, there are Doughty books for the other Islands, though I only have the ones for Big Island and Kauai (slightly different names as I recall - not "reveled" - maybe "Ultimate" or some such.) Feel free to PM me or ask here - I'm no expert but I was a tourist for a long time before I moved so YMMV.

Excellent choices for S.F. Bay Area. Be careful. Crime in SF area high. Criminals target
rental cars. Knowing Tourists leave valuables trunk.

We tried making that online reservation. It was impossible..at least for me on my phone. You gotta be fast! But we read that you could get in waiting in line so we did. We showed up at around 10:30 and got in after about 20 minutes. Ths smaller the group the faster you get in.

We tried making that online reservation. It was impossible..at least for me on my phone. You gotta be fast! But we read that you could get in waiting in line so we did. We showed up at around 10:30 and got in after about 20 minutes. Ths smaller the group the faster you get in.

Thank you, great tip. Weekday or weekend?

Thank you, great tip. Weekday or weekend?
We did it on a weekday, but it shouldn't make any difference at such a touristy spot. As you get there, you get a piece of paper for a future time slot .. at an hour or more. But as they let each group in every 10-15 minutes or so, for some reason they'd pull in a few onesies and twosies.. to fill up to the max number presumably. So be sure to hang around the entrance.

Yes, that was very interesting , we took a bus from Waikiki to the road and walked through the tunnel to enter the dead volcano, then hiked up the path, stairs and tunnels to get to the top edge. Great views.

We found the Dole plantation tour, was a complete waste of time.

Not a total waste! We always stop there on the way back from North Shore. They have GREAT rest rooms! YMMV

Back
Top Bottom