Does my ideal vacation rental exist?

Poopycat

Recycles dryer sheets
I need a little help on ideas. I am supposed to go out west for a vacation at the end of October, but the person I was planning to go with has a mom with dementia and may not be able to arrange care, which I understand. If she can’t go, I think I’d rather go someplace that is not in major cities like we were planning to visit.

Instead, I would really like to be alone, all by myself, on a private beach somewhere. With a great ocean view, and access to the beach so I can take long walks every day. There are tons of condos listed on the usual sites, but I’d really prefer a private home this time around (I have rented condos before with no issue but I want to be away from people as much as possible this time). That being said, I would like to be within reasonable driving distance, say 20-30 minutes, from some decent grocery stores, preferably with good seafood on sale, so I can cook healthy meals.

By the way, just to clarify, when I say walk along the beach I mean literally walking out the door of my rental to walk to the ocean in front of me, not driving 15 minutes to get to the ocean.

All I want to do is sleep, read, listen to the waves, walk along the beach, perhaps go into town occasionally if there are safe, easy-to-moderate walking/hiking trails where a single person would feel safe on her own. And not attacked by either a nut job or an alligator - never been attacked by a nut job, but have accidentally come way too close to an alligator and a couple of snakes! A TV might be nice for the evenings as well.

Where should I look for such a place? I am thinking that the small towns near San Luis Obispo, like Pismo Beach and Cambria might fit the bill. Maybe Monterey, if it isn’t too late to find a rental. I fear that it may be too cold in the Pacific Northwest in late October.

Are there places I should consider along the east coast that might be less expensive than the west coast? I’ve been to Florida multiple times; thinking it might be nice to try someplace else. Same with Hilton Head. Any recommendations will be appreciated and researched; even if I end up keeping my plans this year I may want to go somewhere next year. Thanks!

Pismo is great! One of our faves - :)

Unless you are willing to plonk down a ton of money for one of those private beach homes for the rich and famous, I think it is going to be difficult to find something which fits your criteria and not pay a ton of money.

Alternatively, you can book an ocean front condo but without a private beach. I have never been to Kauai Beach Villas but I am familiar with this timeshare. If you get an ocean front villas, you are right on the beach.

I wouldn't want a private beach, too much fun watching the kiddies running around and building sand castles.

Consider Asilomar. It's a state park that was created as a YWCA leadership camp in the early 1900s. The original buildings were designed by Julia Morgan (also designed Hearst Castle.) We have stayed there during the Christmas vacation season almost every year for over 30 years. We always pick one of the "historic buildings - more rustic. I know they have modern rooms, too.

The price is very reasonable. It has a lovely lodge where you can sit in front of the huge roaring fire and read. The ocean is a short walk along a boardwalk away. Monterey is right down the road, and there are wonderful walks along the beach there with lots of ocean wildlife usually in full view - we see otters and sea lions every year. Pebble Beach is right next door. Carmel is a short drive away with lots of charm and high end shopping

That said, the pandemic might have severely curtailed the charm of the place this year. The fire danger and drought might have also prompted them to change/modify some of their policies. We did not go this past season and might not go this year, so can't guarantee anything will be as "normal." Before you go, call and ask a lot of questions -

Maybe look at Amelia Island in florida (but yeah your requirements are going to mean super expensive, hotel or home).

oh and for CA, I would have said Monterrey, but also look at Laguna Niguel.

Consider Asilomar. It's a state park that was created as a YWCA leadership camp in the early 1900s. The original buildings were designed by Julia Morgan (also designed Hearst Castle.) We have stayed there during the Christmas vacation season almost every year for over 30 years. We always pick one of the "historic buildings - more rustic. I know they have modern rooms, too.

The price is very reasonable. It has a lovely lodge where you can sit in front of the huge roaring fire and read. The ocean is a short walk along a boardwalk away. Monterey is right down the road, and there are wonderful walks along the beach there with lots of ocean wildlife usually in full view - we see otters and sea lions every year. Pebble Beach is right next door. Carmel is a short drive away with lots of charm and high end shopping

That said, the pandemic might have severely curtailed the charm of the place this year. The fire danger and drought might have also prompted them to change/modify some of their policies. We did not go this past season and might not go this year, so can't guarantee anything will be as "normal." Before you go, call and ask a lot of questions -

I second this suggestion.

Check out Cannon Beach, Oregon. It has a beautiful huge walking beach and a lovely artsy town with lots of restaurants and shops. Best coffee and orange chocolate chip scones in the world at Sleepy Monk in midtown.

There are no private beaches in California. The state constitution makes them all public, so you won't find a rental with your own private beach. (There are a few places where for historic reasons people do own property down to the mean high tide line or where public access to the beach is blocked for other reasons, but those areas usually also prohibit short-term rentals.)

Pismo Beach or Avila Beach would be nice places to spend some time. I also really like Morro Bay, but you'd want to be in the north part of town to be near the ocean rather than the small bay. Once you go north of there, the coast is mostly cliffs with some pocket beaches, many of which only exist at low tide, until you get north of Big Sur. It's a beautiful area with plenty of fabulous view hikes, but it's not beachy.

October on the PNW coast is a crapshoot. Sometimes it feels like summer. Sometimes it feels like winter. That said, it sounds like the central coast of CA is your best bet, something between Morro Bay and Santa Barbara.

That said, here on the Oregon coast, we sometimes have our best weather in September and October.

I know Asilomar well. As a little girl, my grandmother and I would walk to Asilomar to pick up a newspaper in their main building. For some reason I was fascinated by the vending machines in there; I think there was one for candy and gum and another for soft drinks.

Then we’d sometimes keep walking through Asilomar’s property and cross the street (Sunset was the street name I believe) to Asilomar Beach. I still remember all the sounds, sights and even smells. Great memories.

There are no private beaches in California. The state constitution makes them all public, so you won't find a rental with your own private beach. (There are a few places where for historic reasons people do own property down to the mean high tide line or where public access to the beach is blocked for other reasons, but those areas usually also prohibit short-term rentals.)

Pismo Beach or Avila Beach would be nice places to spend some time. I also really like Morro Bay, but you'd want to be in the north part of town to be near the ocean rather than the small bay. Once you go north of there, the coast is mostly cliffs with some pocket beaches, many of which only exist at low tide, until you get north of Big Sur. It's a beautiful area with plenty of fabulous view hikes, but it's not beachy.

I know that CA doesn’t have public beaches; I grew up there and it’s one of the reasons why I liked CA compared to places like FL that put giant condos along the beach and nobody can see the ocean.

That being said, there are more remote places in Northern CA (I’m thinking of Fort Bragg, maybe Gualala) where you actually can get a house with an amazing view and can get down to the water relatively easily. It’s not too expensive because it’s so remote. Which I normally wouldn’t care for but I really want to recharge. But maybe I stick with Pismo Beach. I used to love Cambria too.

Maybe look at Amelia Island in florida (but yeah your requirements are going to mean super expensive, hotel or home).

oh and for CA, I would have said Monterrey, but also look at Laguna Niguel.

I love Amelia Island. Been there a couple of times during trips to the JAX-St. Augustine area (which I also like, but not as well as Amelia Island).

We rented a house in Fort Morgan AL about 20 minutes outside of Gulf Shores where one could walk out the front door onto the beach. Not a private beach, but not that many people around and miles of beach to walk on. Obviously not on the east or west coast, though.

We rented a house in Fort Morgan AL about 20 minutes outside of Gulf Shores where one could walk out the front door onto the beach. Not a private beach, but not that many people around and miles of beach to walk on. Obviously not on the east or west coast, though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw a lot of places on Airbnb listed for Alabama. It’s funny, I never think of Alabama as a coastal state, but it is. Even if I don’t go this year, I have to check it out sometime.

October on the PNW coast is a crapshoot. Sometimes it feels like summer. Sometimes it feels like winter. That said, it sounds like the central coast of CA is your best bet, something between Morro Bay and Santa Barbara.

That said, here on the Oregon coast, we sometimes have our best weather in September and October.

So true.
Perhaps southern Oregon coastal cities such as Florence or Coos Bay may be warmer.
However, I think watching a coastal storm from inside by the fireplace is heaven!
The nice thing about Oregon is the entire coast is public beaches, so even if you don't find or stay ocean view, you can walk along the beach when ever you wish.
(just watch for those sneaker waves--they can be deadly)

I know that CA doesn’t have public beaches; I grew up there and it’s one of the reasons why I liked CA compared to places like FL that put giant condos along the beach and nobody can see the ocean.
But thats how you get a private beach.

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw a lot of places on Airbnb listed for Alabama. It’s funny, I never think of Alabama as a coastal state, but it is. Even if I don’t go this year, I have to check it out sometime.

I have a buddy that's been renting a house on stilts--out over the surf--at Ft. Morgan. He's going another week next month.

The finest beaches anywhere are the Gulf beaches along the Florida Panhandle and over into Alabama--east of Mobile.

Many of the best families in the South have condos and houses along the Gulf Coast beaches for rent. My best friend has a house at Seaside, a very exclusive small village west of Panama City, and it's an especially lovely place.

We spend our vacations in Europe for about the same money as renting a condo for a week.

Although it is insanely expensive, Carmel is pretty perfect. Walkable, good beach, good food, and bring a dog. October weather tends to be pretty good. Otherwise, I agree about the Central coast areas mentioned.

Up north, Sea Ranch might be an idea, or Jenner

Private beaches are a good reason for the slogan;

"Eat the Rich"

I'm sorry, but it's just wrong to buy up all the coastline and keep everyone out.

Cayucos has a great walking beach.

You could consider Waldport Oregon, or Newport, or Lincoln City areas. Tons of private homes available as rentals, Some years ago we rented a house right on the beach just north of Waldport multiple times and enjoyed it immensely. We would walk to where the river flowed into the ocean and visit the colonies (at a safe distance) of sea lions lounging on the beach on the inside of the spit by Waldport bay. I know your fear of cold weather, but many times late October on Oregon coats is glorious with sunny days and blue skies.

But thats how you get a private beach.

I guess I need to clarify. I am not looking for a private beach. I am looking for a beach that is so isolated that it feels private.

Back
Top Bottom