Florida Panhandle Location Suggestions

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Going to visit my brother that lives about 1/2 from the gulf. We usually get a condo in Fort Walton right on the beach. Fort Walton is the closest to my brother. We’re wondering if there is any place around Fort Walton that we could go that has a different atmosphere. Fort Walton is a condo on the beach and if you want to go anywhere else, you’re driving. I’m wondering if there’s anywhere close that would have more of a small town walk around vibe that we could go to. Being right on the beach isn’t critical but I would want to be close to the beach and have guaranteed access. Fort Walton has a good amount of public parking next to the beach, but it’s always full. I don’t want to deal with that when we just want to spend an hour or two on the beach or take a walk in the morning/evening. But I’d also like to walk to some restaurants and such.

Any ideas would be appreciated. We’re planning on going mid-September.

If Pensacola Beach isn't too far for you, I would recommend trying there. There is a funky old motel called Paradise Inn that we have stayed in several times. If you want the condo scene there some next-door and further west heading to Fort Pickens.

At Paradise, they have a bar and grill which isn't bad, and live music (usually only on weekends, I think, after Labor day). There is small beach there on the bay side, and you can walk across the street for beach access on the Gulf.

There are several restaurants within walking distance, and if you don't mind driving a little bit (2 miles), you have to go to Peg Leg Pete's.

You have Fort Pickens nation Park nearby, and the Naval Air Museum is about 25 miles away. If you go there, check the Blue Angels training schedule. You sit up close and personal, and it is all free.

It's probably more crowded than Ft Walton Beach area, but just east about 5 miles from there is Destin and then few miles more is Sandestin. Both have lots of beachside accommodations, and a lot of walkable distance to the beaches. But is a very busy tourist area in summertime.

It's probably more crowded than Ft Walton Beach area, but just east about 5 miles from there is Destin and then few miles more is Sandestin. Both have lots of beachside accommodations, and a lot of walkable distance to the beaches. But is a very busy tourist area in summertime.

Emerald Coast local here.

The Destin recommendation is solid, mid-September is past the peak season. I would not recommend going further east than the harbor area. There is a "condo row" further east, but that increases your drive time to FWB, there's little dining of note nearby, and you're close to the airport runway approach.

Something on the north side of the harbor will get you the walkability, and a good look at the local and tourist cultures along the harbor. On the tourist side, there is McGuire's, AJ's (local beach bar chains), Margaritaville, and a decent Mexican place at the west side of Harborwalk. On the local side, Harbor Docks, Boathouse, the Marina Cafe, and the Red Door saloon are worth a visit.

Sandestin is nice - golf, hotels, plenty of rental condos. Big complex, spans from the bay to the beach. A lot of dining and shopping, more walkable on the bay side. However, can be a 30 minute drive to FWB, even in September.

There are places that meet at least some of your criteria even further east that tend to be quieter, but the drive to FWB is even longer. PM me if you are interested in those.

My brother lives in Crestview so FWB was just the most direct/closest place to him so that’s where we’ve gone when we visit. Now, we don’t have kids so looking for a different experience. Going further East would not be a problem.

Started looking at Panama Beach. Any insight to that area?

Know that drive, not much longer from Sandestin than FWB.

If you're willing to go even further east than Sandestin, there are a few areas on 30A to consider. Gulf Place (393/30A has plenty of condos for rent, 3 good restaurants at the intersection and a very good one a short walk away. Other good dining options within a few miles.

Continuing east, my next recommendation is the Grayton Beach area. Definitely a "village" with good dining nearby. Even further east is Seaside. Tends to be busy year-round. Not on my usual circuit because of the crowds, but the Airstream-served food at the Meltdown and Barefoot BBQ is very good.

All of these are a good hour, hour+ to Crestview.

Happy to get into more details, just ask.

^^^^^

I'll second the Grayton Beach recommendation. We like to camp at Grayton Beach State Park and also at Top Sail Preserve State Park. We recommend Hurricane Oyster Bar for casual (very) dining.

Last edited:
Started looking at Panama Beach. Any insight to that area?

30A between Santa Rosa Beach and Grayton Beach has numerous restaurants and rentals. Two state parks, Top Sail and Grayton Beach, offer long stretches of beach. Top Sail's is 3 miles with no development, great for walks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom