Eating reasonably in Hawaii

We love the island so much that we bought a home in Mauna Lani a few years ago right before I retired. We stay about a third of the year at this point...
We just got back from a 2 week trip to the Big Island, staying at an Airbnb with a kitchen in Kawaihae, about 20 minutes north of Waikoloa. The grocery store at the Queens/Kings shops in Waikoloa is okay for salads and sandwiches, but the Foodland in the Mauna Lani shops (the next resort area up from Waikoloa - about a 5-10 minute drive) is better. It has a smaller selection but big, high quality sandwiches at $5.99 - 7.99, fresh cooked rotisserie chickens, and most importantly, fresh, high-quality poke at a very affordable price (roughly $5.99 per half pint container).

Also, it's a closer, easier drive up to Waimea then it is to Kona and there's quite the bustling food scene up there including some decent, relatively bargain options. Big Island Brewing has great beer and good, moderately priced food, better IMHO than Kona Brewing and there's a really good barbecue place up there called The Fish and the Hog.

Anyway, have a great trip! The Big Island is one of our favorite places in this world, so much so that we are looking to temporarily relocate there.

I like to ask people such as bellboys in hotels, Uber drivers, or wait staff at restaurants. These folks typically aren’t making loads of money, so they know the good “cheap eats” places.

+1. I always do this. :flowers:

Marukame Udon in Waikiki area, Kuhio street. $5-10 gets a great meal. But be prepared for the big line.

If you're willing to go to Fort Street Mall in Downtown, same Marukame Udon. No line at all. Maybe after seeing Iolani Palace and the Kamehameha statue.

Back
Top Bottom