Eureka Springs, AR

ohyes

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH and i just returned from a "retreat weekend" in Eureka. Quirky as ever (Eureka). We spent a lot of time relaxing at the B & B, but we did take a 2.5 hour walk up and down the hills and watched the Eureka Gras Lights and Sound Parade that evening.

Several months ago, there were a few posts re: Eureka Springs, as it had been listed in a 2011 Best Small Towns to Retire. We love visiting, but would never consider retiring there...isolated even for Arkansas.

17695-albums146-picture948.jpg

17695-albums146-picture949.jpg

Quirky as ever (Eureka).
+1

We were there in the fall of 2011, arriving on a Monday. After seeing a few "unusually dressed" folks walking around town - like the 6'5" man dressed as a woman wearing 4" heels - we learned we'd just missed Diversity Weekend.

Quirky? Yep. But a neat place to visit.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 12
I have been there twice. Would not want to retire there. Weird artsy towns are not for me.

AR has awesome state parks. The most magnificent is Magazine Mountain. You can take your RV, or you can stay in their spectacular CCC type lodge (except that it's modern) with its view over a 2000 ft cliff.
arkansas-lodges-1.jpg

I was there once, but for just a day. It was interesting enough that I would like to go back sometime and give myself more time to explore.

Is Magazine Mountain that area where they'll let you pan for gold? When I was a kid, in 1982, I went on a long trip out west with my grandparents, and I remember us stopping at some place in Arkansas where people still did panning for gold. I think it was the highest point in the state, and I vaguely remember some nice views.

Is Magazine Mountain that area where they'll let you pan for gold? When I was a kid, in 1982, I went on a long trip out west with my grandparents, and I remember us stopping at some place in Arkansas where people still did panning for gold. I think it was the highest point in the state, and I vaguely remember some nice views.
It is the highest point in the state.

Don't know about panning for gold but there is an Arkansas state park where you can dig for diamonds: Diamond Mines - Crater of Diamonds State Park

The last time we were in Eureka Springs, there was a Corvette rally in town. There must have been hundreds of Corvettes and their ostentatious owners. We were tied up for hours in a Corvette traffic jam. All of the motels and B&B's were booked solid.

I suppose being caught in a Corvette rally is somewhat better than being caught in a Harley rally, but not by much. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Ain't goin' near AR. Been there once for a spell. Shoulda stayed in the car.

And just where DO you feel comfortable? :rolleyes:
To start with, far from dry counties. ;) If I say anything more I will be banned.

Mt. Magazine is great! And Altus vineyards, not far from there, are a fun stop.

Eureka Springs is in a "wet" county. DH and i live in a dry county, tho our town is "moist". No liquor stores (closest one is 25 mi away), but many, many restaurants that serve alcohol.

Thirty + years ago, in Portland, ME, when DH told his boss that he was moving to a dry county, the boss acted like he was holding his heart and fell into the corner of the elevator. What:confused: a dry COUNTY:confused:?

Arkansas has plenty of beauty.

Do not be afraid.

Aside: DH and i watched "Honey Boo Boo" for the first time a few weeks ago. DH commented that he was so glad that it is not set in Arkansas. Yeah, we get enough of that reputation already.

Arkansas has plenty of beauty.

I agree with that. Lots of great people too......

We've been vacationing there for many years and enjoy it very much. We fish for bass, walleye, crappie, etc. on Norfork and Bull Shoals lakes. We fish for trout on the White and North Fork rivers. We canoe the North Fork (above and below Norfork Lake), Crooked Creek, the Buffalo and the Mulberry rivers.

It's all good.

We fish and canoe Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ontario and Michigan as well. Arkansas is right up there with anyplace for natural beautiful and a population that cares for the land, water and wildlife.

There, my endorsement as a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
We have a group going back to Arkansas in April for trout fishing on the White and perhaps a day float in the Buffalo. Always enjoy my trips to North Arkansas.

Love Arkansas.......along with NC and AZ, (and probably a bunch of others), it's one of our favorite states.....really enjoyed the Blanchard Caverns)

Arkansas is a beautiful state and for many, it is a great retirement destination.

I really enjoyed visiting Hot Springs a few years ago. I haven't ever been to Eureka Springs, though. Sounds like fun!

Back
Top Bottom